Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 04:25 AM

10 posts, read 15,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Just goes to show that the locals aren't DRIVING downtown. They know better. There would be a LOT more SD, ND cars before you got overrun by wokeism. You may think that it hasn't changed. It has.
Im a local still drive downtown. I’ve grabbed breakfast and lunch in downtown with friends and co workers, and attended a few shows. I’ve never felt scared for my life but I do exercise caution and be aware of my surroundings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 09:02 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnguy88 View Post
Im a local still drive downtown. I’ve grabbed breakfast and lunch in downtown with friends and co workers, and attended a few shows. I’ve never felt scared for my life but I do exercise caution and be aware of my surroundings.

Well, sure. You LIVE here. You are not sitting in "SF" hundreds of miles away, obsessed with a city in another state.

I am in Minneapolis three-four times a week for work and remain for food, shows, etc. downtown maybe once a week. Occasionally come back on the weekend for something else.

As with any city, you exercise caution. Same as you do everywhere.

Old 06-18-2022, 05:20 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
The worst crime I see when downtown Mpls., is (about 3-4 times per year) is HCMC workers smoking outside the buildings all over. There are no smoking signs everywhere.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:46 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
I was recently in Minneapolis for work. I was SHOCKED at the state of the city; abandoned buildings, homeless everywhere, general feeling of not being safe. I had visited Minneapolis back in 2007 and thought it was beautiful. Definitely a city on the decline.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:24 PM

121 posts, read 96,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
I was recently in Minneapolis for work. I was SHOCKED at the state of the city; abandoned buildings, homeless everywhere, general feeling of not being safe. I had visited Minneapolis back in 2007 and thought it was beautiful. Definitely a city on the decline.
It's a dump. It's way operated. High crime..

Old 08-28-2022, 07:50 AM

249 posts, read 503,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progress 1 View Post
It's a dump. It's way operated. High crime..
Man, those beautiful homes along minnehaha creek, within walking distance to boutiques and coffee shops, blocks away from this country's best urban lakes and parks is awful.

You better stick to Buffalo or Ham Lake where it's safer.

Old 10-30-2022, 08:01 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiste13 View Post
Man, those beautiful homes along minnehaha creek, within walking distance to boutiques and coffee shops, blocks away from this country's best urban lakes and parks is awful.

These types of responses are so sad and predictable.

Someone comments on how Mpls is on the decline - pointing out crime, urban decay, etc...

Proud Mpls person then comments: There are nice homes and coffee shops, go back to the suburbs.

Look, in this world it's ok to say both things are true. I live in the suburbs, but work downtown. I spend most of my hours awake in DT vs the suburbs. And this is what I will say - Mpls isn't some barren wasteland, with lawlessness. It's a pretty city with much to offer. That being said, there are areas in which it needs to drastically do better. To argue that crime, homelessness, and vandalism isn't an issue is asinine.

Now, the typical response to what I just said is something like: "Well, yah, there's crime here. There's homeless camps, there's needles on the sidewalks and light rail, but like, every major city does"

I guess Mpls and it's people went from once wanting to be elite of the elite, the best of the best, but now are just cool with "heck, every big city has problems and like, there's cool homes and some lakes".

Your last comment about "sticking to (insert some town that's not quite a suburb but out far enough)" as if it's some sort of slight. Childish. You better start realizing Mpls needs people from outside of the city much more than those people need the city. Understood?

Old 11-06-2022, 10:34 AM

217 posts, read 148,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiste13 View Post

Unfortunately this is the exact attitude the continues the downward spiral for the city.

Old 11-06-2022, 08:32 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
You better start realizing Mpls needs people from outside of the city much more than those people need the city. Understood?
Can you elaborate on the context of this last statement? I found it to be an interesting comment from a person that just stated they work and spend most of their waking hours at a DT Mpls employer.

Old 11-12-2022, 02:21 PM

1,345 posts, read 876,112 times
I feel like a city can go through rough times without it being on decline. Cities go through ups and downs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul