Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 01:47 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times

Advertisements

Long post...

My brother used to rave about his biz trips to St. Paul, or was it mainly in Minneapolis, way back in the mid 90s.

I was yearning then for some place different from Boston where I arrived at 18 in 1978 for college. I still loved Boston but thought maybe Chicago would be fun to move to back then.

He recommended the Twin Cities...not sure if it was mainly for the general metro or the cities themselves.

Still haven't moved, after all, despite the very high cost of rentals and homes in and near Boston...it and New England seems, at least to me, to offer me and many others so much whether born here or relocated here.

Yes, I'll somehow tolerate the old and shabby inferior housing which most here seem to live in in many cases, unless wealthy.

Anyway, back then he'd tell me to move to MSP whenever I thought of leaving Boston (or was it mainly St. Paul and that general area vs. Minneapolis and vicinity or both -- calling it "awesome!"

I hadn't been since leaving at age 6 in 1966, after being born in St. Paul and moving to White Bear Lake after a couple years in a modest downtown apartment. I did eventually visit for a few days in late May '99 or so, and also went to Duluth and Grand Marais for a couple extra days, all alone in a rental car. I generally liked the cities and other areas I saw -- but again, parts of Boston, parts of Massachusetts, parts of nearby Providence and parts of Rhode Island, the Cape and Islands, the Berkshires, the coast nearby and the appeal of most of New England, etc. has too much lure for me, and it seems many others -- despite the high cost of living here. Had lived in several states after leaving MN, until Boston.

Well, just this year, after a few biz trips to MSP in less than a year, my brother noted how unappealing it is now, at least to him. Rundown? Dangerous? I don't know exactly, but he had a poor image now versus the mid 90s. And I assume it's rebounded a bit since the riots in summer 2020, right? What would he have thought THEN, right?

I think he was mainly at a good hotel in downtown St. Paul and then maybe at a fancy steakhouse in Minneapolis over a few visits this year...even went to White Bear Lake one afternoon to find the split-level we lived in. He was only 4 when we left so wouldn't remember, but forgot to ask him what he thought of that town.

Not sure if St. Paul or Minneapolis bothered him more or both.

But he sure didn't seem impressed nowadays unlike in the mid 90s. Not sure if he hadn't been back since, so maybe he truly was shocked if it had been years. I don't think he's the type to venture to and explore your cities' neighborhoods considered desirable, so likely only a downtown visitor's perspective of both cities.

Sorry to report this.

Sad, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 06:33 PM

217 posts, read 148,686 times
Minneapolis is going under a change- what you see with the city is an end stage stage 4 cancer.

Old 12-03-2022, 08:21 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Wow... I have been interested in what Minneapolis is like now so this has been an interesting read. I went there for a conference back in May of 2013 and stayed at the Hyatt at the end of Nicollett Mall. That was my first time to the city and I had always wanted to go as my only knowledge of the City was the MTM show and the movie Purple Rain. I rode the light rail in from the airport (which I normally do in any city if available) I do that to get a good cross section of the city unless I read/learn in advance that it is not advisable to do so...but that hasnt been the case.

I love how the city is laid out.. I walked all over downtown, down the mall, hung out a little on First Ave..Seemed like a great city. I was also able to take a tour of a neighborhood) (I believe it was called -Phillips?)that was just south of downtown..that had quite a few bars/restaurants and and Midtown market with tons of small businesses which was really cool. Is that area still holding up? If I were to move there living in some of the residential areas around there would seem to be appealing..with all the craftsman cottages and four square houses just blocks from this area. It would be sad if that area has collapsed. We ended our time there with an event at one of the parks with a huge lake in it.. which I always thought was one of the most appealing thing about the city.. so many lakes, parks and bike trails/greenways (which was another reason why Phillips (?) seemed appealing)

I regret that I didnt make it over to St Paul.. as I was curious on what life is like there vs Minneapolis.. I imagine that there is no major difference?

As an aside.... those of you who are Gen X..and remember shows like MTM, WKRP in Cincinatti, Buffalo Bill, Good Times, Mork and Mindy..to name a few that were all based in the midwest. Growing up in the SE and living in the NE made those places intriguing to me watching the montages shown during the intros. We were always saturated with shows based in NYC, LA, Miami, and Hawaii in the 70s and 80s... LOL

Well I hope things can improve in all cities over time...

Last edited by Woodlands; 12-03-2022 at 08:38 AM..

Old 03-18-2023, 04:53 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Yuck at all the negativity here.

Big cities have problems.

FWIW I found the police in Minneapolis to be remarkably polite. I enjoyed my time there and if I didn't hate winter weather so much I would live there year round.

I still have friends there and they are happy with just making the occasional trips to the Cities and going home.

Something for everyone can be had in Minnesota.

Old 03-19-2023, 01:22 PM

588 posts, read 561,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Yuck at all the negativity here.

Big cities have problems.

FWIW I found the police in Minneapolis to be remarkably polite. I enjoyed my time there and if I didn't hate winter weather so much I would live there year round.

I still have friends there and they are happy with just making the occasional trips to the Cities and going home.

Something for everyone can be had in Minnesota.

Everybody knows that visiting a city vs living in said city are completely different life experiences.

Old 03-19-2023, 04:00 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Everybody knows that visiting a city vs living in said city are completely different life experiences.
I don't want to argue the entire topic.

I will say downtown Minneapolis is lovely compared to parts of Los Angeles or even Seattle.

It's very obvious people who live in Minneapolis & Saint Paul are normal people who live normal lives.

Old 03-20-2023, 04:13 PM

588 posts, read 561,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
I don't want to argue the entire topic.

I will say downtown Minneapolis is lovely compared to parts of Los Angeles or even Seattle.

It's very obvious people who live in Minneapolis & Saint Paul are normal people who live normal lives.
Argue? That’s an interesting word choice, who are you arguing with? The purpose of this forum is to discuss topics, not argue topics.

TBH, I found it extremely condescending for someone who doesn’t live in the Twin Cities to jump in this subforum and tell active subforum participants that we’re being too negative. Thus my statement regarding different experiences regarding visiting vs living.

Your statement…”It's very obvious people who live in Minneapolis & Saint Paul are normal people who live normal lives.”…WTH?!?!? Again, this statement comes across as snobby and condescending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul