Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 08:20 PM

11 posts, read 7,098 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm crossing my fingers that someone can help me. I'm currently considering relocating from the San Francisco Bay Area to the above MLPS suburbs. I have been reading up on them, and I'm VERY impressed with what I've learned so far. But, big but, before I proceed, I would like to get some brutally honest answers on how well I'll fit in.

I'm a single professional, older than 35, with no children. I have a Master's degree and a professional career in healthcare. I'm of Hispanic/Latino descent. I'm petite, dress fashionably but conservatively (by 'conservatively', I mean nothing crazy or extravagant), I'm well-traveled, well-spoken, but not afraid to be assertive. I previously lived in the Northeast, where people tend to be direct and don't beat about the bush. I actually like having four seasons, which we don't get in California, and I think the snow is pretty. I'm active and enjoy going for hour-long walks in all kinds of weather, riding my bike in summer, and playing tennis.

I visited Minneapolis/St. Paul in winter two years ago and LOVED it. I walked all over the icy roads of both cities' downtowns, went to the Mall of America, and even drove up to Duluth to see Lake Superior. What a magnificent lake!!

Anyway, I've come across posts from other minorities about racism they've experienced in some of the suburbs outside of Minneapolis/St. Paul. One in particular specifically called out Eden Prairie

I didn't experience any racism in the Twin Cities or at the mall but did not visit EP or Minnetonka. I don't want to be in a place where people are going to stare at me like I'm a two-headed monster, or give me dirty looks when they hear my slight foreign accent, or just treat me poorly for no reason other than looking different. I've worked hard my whole life, both in school and at work, and if I move there, it would be to purchase a home, not because I'll be applying for public assistance.

Please don't think I'm expecting people to roll up a red carpet for me or want to become best friends the minute they meet me. I know Minnesotans have a reputation for being reserved, which is fine by me. I actually prefer that attitude over nosy or gossipy people. I just don't want to find hate notes in my mailbox from anonymous people telling me that I don't belong in their neighborhood or making me feel unwanted or unsafe at stores or restaurants.

Please forgive me if my question seems rude, and I apologize for the long post. As I mentioned, the Minnesotans I met two years ago in the cities were lovely, but I'm more of a suburban type of gal looking to be close to the city without being in the city if that makes sense. This will be a HUGE change in my life, and I want to make the right decision for myself. Thank you so much for reading. Have a safe and Happy New Year!!

Last edited by Single Sparrow; 12-30-2021 at 08:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 07:12 AM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Single Sparrow View Post
Hello everyone. I'm crossing my fingers that someone can help me. I'm currently considering relocating from the San Francisco Bay Area to the above MLPS suburbs. I have been reading up on them, and I'm VERY impressed with what I've learned so far. But, big but, before I proceed, I would like to get some brutally honest answers on how well I'll fit in.

I'm a single professional, older than 35, with no children. I have a Master's degree and a professional career in healthcare. I'm of Hispanic/Latino descent. I'm petite, dress fashionably but conservatively (by 'conservatively', I mean nothing crazy or extravagant), I'm well-traveled, well-spoken, but not afraid to be assertive. I previously lived in the Northeast, where people tend to be direct and don't beat about the bush. I actually like having four seasons, which we don't get in California, and I think the snow is pretty. I'm active and enjoy going for hour-long walks in all kinds of weather, riding my bike in summer, and playing tennis.

I visited Minneapolis/St. Paul in winter two years ago and LOVED it. I walked all over the icy roads of both cities' downtowns, went to the Mall of America, and even drove up to Duluth to see Lake Superior. What a magnificent lake!!

Anyway, I've come across posts from other minorities about racism they've experienced in some of the suburbs outside of Minneapolis/St. Paul. One in particular specifically called out Eden Prairie

I didn't experience any racism in the Twin Cities or at the mall but did not visit EP or Minnetonka. I don't want to be in a place where people are going to stare at me like I'm a two-headed monster, or give me dirty looks when they hear my slight foreign accent, or just treat me poorly for no reason other than looking different. I've worked hard my whole life, both in school and at work, and if I move there, it would be to purchase a home, not because I'll be applying for public assistance.

Please don't think I'm expecting people to roll up a red carpet for me or want to become best friends the minute they meet me. I know Minnesotans have a reputation for being reserved, which is fine by me. I actually prefer that attitude over nosy or gossipy people. I just don't want to find hate notes in my mailbox from anonymous people telling me that I don't belong in their neighborhood or making me feel unwanted or unsafe at stores or restaurants.

Please forgive me if my question seems rude, and I apologize for the long post. As I mentioned, the Minnesotans I met two years ago in the cities were lovely, but I'm more of a suburban type of gal looking to be close to the city without being in the city if that makes sense. This will be a HUGE change in my life, and I want to make the right decision for myself. Thank you so much for reading. Have a safe and Happy New Year!!
I don’t know much about Eden Prairie, but I’d suggest Edina over it. It’s closer to a mix of suburban and higher density as it borders Mpls on eastern half. Gets bigger lots going west from that border. I can’t speak of the racism, but figure it’s location would be better on via it? In the wealth world, it’s on par or maybe above EP?

Old 12-31-2021, 07:37 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:

It’s been a while since we’ve had a relocation topic soliciting real estate advice. There is a lot to like here, if you can tolerate the artic winter temperatures you should be golden.

Overall I would describe the Twin Cities as having a friendly, open-minded and tolerant populace with regards to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual identity, etc. Things may get a bit dicier if you get out into the exurbs and rural areas but here in the cities and nearby suburbs you shouldn’t have any issues. Eden Prairie, west Bloomington and Minnetonka are all good choices if you’re looking for a quiet bedroom community suburb. If you like getting around in a car, shopping at malls and department stores and having a large single family home with a big yard for your dog to run around in and to have barbecues then this is the place for you.

If you don’t want to be right in the city but prefer a slightly more urban setting I would check out Edina (look by 50th and France or 44th and France) or downtown Hopkins.

It may be a good idea to schedule another trip and have a real estate agent show you around a few of these different areas to get a feel for what type of environment suits you best. If you need a recommendation feel free to send me a direct message.

Good luck and welcome to the Twin Cities!

Old 12-31-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
It’s been a while since we’ve had a relocation topic soliciting real estate advice. There is a lot to like here, if you can tolerate the artic winter temperatures you should be golden.

Overall I would describe the Twin Cities as having a friendly, open-minded and tolerant populace with regards to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual identity, etc. Things may get a bit dicier if you get out into the exurbs and rural areas but here in the cities and nearby suburbs you shouldn’t have any issues. Eden Prairie, west Bloomington and Minnetonka are all good choices if you’re looking for a quiet bedroom community suburb. If you like getting around in a car, shopping at malls and department stores and having a large single family home with a big yard for your dog to run around in and to have barbecues then this is the place for you.

If you don’t want to be right in the city but prefer a slightly more urban setting I would check out Edina (look by 50th and France or 44th and France) or downtown Hopkins.

It may be a good idea to schedule another trip and have a real estate agent show you around a few of these different areas to get a feel for what type of environment suits you best. If you need a recommendation feel free to send me a direct message.

Good luck and welcome to the Twin Cities!

Thank you so much Cruz Azul Guy!! I LOVE what you had to say and it makes sense for me to make another trip to check out Edina and Hopkins. I had given up on Edina because I heard it was significantly more expensive than EP and Minnetonka.

What are your thoughts on Woodbury? I couldn't find much information about it on this site.

If I end up moving it will be in late Q2 or early Q3 2022.

Last edited by Single Sparrow; 12-31-2021 at 11:39 AM..

Old 12-31-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I don’t know much about Eden Prairie, but I’d suggest Edina over it. It’s closer to a mix of suburban and higher density as it borders Mpls on eastern half. Gets bigger lots going west from that border. I can’t speak of the racism, but figure it’s location would be better on via it? In the wealth world, it’s on par or maybe above EP?
Thank you. I had written off Edina after reading it was the most expensive Mlps suburb, but I'm getting encouraged to look into it now.

I forgot to ask about Woodbury, which is another suburb I hear good things about on YouTube but couldn't find much information on this site. How does it compare to EP, Minnetonka, and Edina? Would you recommend it?

Also, the title of my post includes West Bloomington, but I was reading that Bloomington is the flight path of planes departing from and arriving at MSP, something I had not considered before. I definitely don't want to buy a home that'll get airport noise.

Last edited by Single Sparrow; 12-31-2021 at 11:38 AM..

Old 12-31-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much Cruz Azul Guy!! I LOVE what you had to say and it makes sense for me to make another trip to check out Edina and Hopkins. I had given up on Edina because I heard it was significantly more expensive than EP and Minnetonka.

What are your thoughts on Woodbury?

If I end up moving it will be in late Q2 early Q3 2022.
My thoughts on Woodbury - it’s the east metro’s version of Maple Grove. Very suburban, car-dependent, built up in the early 2000’s, spread out, twisty roads, cul-de-sacs, lifestyle centers with parks and lakes thrown in the mix. They are fine areas for families and soccer moms. They just aren’t my style. I’m more into vibrant city life. But hey, that’s just me!

Old 12-31-2021, 11:59 AM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Thank you. I had written off Edina after reading it was the most expensive Mlps suburb, but I'm getting encouraged to look into it now.

I forgot to ask about Woodbury, which is another suburb I hear good things about on YouTube but couldn't find much information on this site. How does it compare to EP, Minnetonka, and Edina? Would you recommend it?

Also, the title of my post includes West Bloomington, but I was reading that Bloomington is the flight path of planes departing from and arriving at MSP, something I had not considered before. I definitely don't want to buy a home that'll get airport noise.
I’d agree that Woodbury is the east metro version of Maple Grove, it’s not a bad place, but has no appeal to me. There is one unique neighborhood one of my clients lives in, I like the geography/hills/trees. If you find Evergreen West Park, it’s directly south of it. I believe it was a evergreen tree farm prior. What is your budget plays a big role in looking at places. Edina, my friend owns a condo near the mall that he paid around $100k about 10 years ago, the most expensive place currently on market in Edina is Ryan Suter’s place for $5m (he played for our local NHL team, the Wild).

Old 12-31-2021, 12:16 PM

Regarding airplane noise, I don’t believe west Bloomington is affected by it. Here’s a somewhat recent map showing flight paths and areas impacted by noise:

http://www.katanacommunity.com/uploa...d_may_2016.pdf

Old 12-31-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
My thoughts on Woodbury - it’s the east metro’s version of Maple Grove. Very suburban, car-dependent, built up in the early 2000’s, spread out, twisty roads, cul-de-sacs, lifestyle centers with parks and lakes thrown in the mix. They are fine areas for families and soccer moms. They just aren’t my style. I’m more into vibrant city life. But hey, that’s just me!
Thank you for your insight.

Old 12-31-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Regarding airplane noise, I don’t believe west Bloomington is affected by it. Here’s a somewhat recent map showing flight paths and areas impacted by noise:

http://www.katanacommunity.com/uploa...d_may_2016.pdf
Awesome map - thank you! I now know which areas to stay clear of to avoid airport noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul