Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:12 PM

7 posts, read 23,133 times

Advertisements

Maple Grove - Plymouth - Minnetonka - Eden Prairie?
I am moving to the area and am looking at these communities? I could use some help comparing/contrasting these ...what are the pros/cons of each? I am a young woman looking for a great community to work and raise a family in. I want a community that still maintains its uniquness and charm despite its close proximity to Minneapolis. I like to hike and bike, so great scenic trails/parks are a plus. Also affordable housing is somewhat important as is good traffic flow. (I live near Seattle now and many roads have been unable to keep up with suburban expansion creating a traffic nightmare!) Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 09:58 PM

432 posts, read 1,660,657 times
Eden Prairie-Pros-Well maintained parks, trails, good school system (2 of the schools got an Energy Star Award and its high school is the 3rd energy efficient high school in the state despite its size, not to mention having one of the best sport program in the state rated by Sports Illustrated), low crime rate, it has a TV station, the HQ of the state NFL team, and businesses are doing well...

Cons-A lot of people have the keeping up with the Jones mentality

Old 07-22-2008, 05:36 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Plymouth just received the #1 place to live award from Money? Magazine. All four towns are pretty similar. Ranking for quality of schools, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka/Plymouth and then Maple Grove but the differences are not significant.

Housing prices, Maple Grove is going to be the least expensive but not overly so. Minnetonka is going to have the highest prices but mostly because of the lake.

Wayzata, if you can find a house in your price range, would be a good place to consider too. It has more of a small town feel and the schools are very good.

Traffic from those cities into Downtown Minneapolis, my guess is that you are working in downtown since you want to be close, isn't too bad, especially if you can work slightly off hours, 7-4 or 9-6 for example. Maple Grove would be the worst commute on the list. Maple Grove is also a 'newer' area where as the other cities you will have better luck finding an area with more established trees, etc., especially in Minnetonka and Wayzata.

How old are your kids? If they are old enough to have established an interest in a sport or activity, that might be a good way to pick a town. If you have an outstanding football player, Eden Prairie is the place to be. If you have someone that loves to run, Wayzata.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:29 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,347,300 times
Maple Grove would be my choice.
  • Easy and fast commute to the city (easiest of the cities listed)
  • Less expensive home prices
  • Wooded lots!!!
  • Excellent schools (on par with your other choices)
  • Lots of easy access to LOCAL shopping and restaurants
  • Newer and updated shopping (from mid to high end)
  • Tons of young professional families
  • Less pretentious people (but there are some)
  • Easy access to Northern MN getaways

I not saying the other communities don't have some of these qualities. But I's just my personal opinion that Maple Grove is close to perfect.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Traffic from those cities into Downtown Minneapolis, my guess is that you are working in downtown since you want to be close, isn't too bad, especially if you can work slightly off hours, 7-4 or 9-6 for example. Maple Grove would be the worst commute on the list. Maple Grove is also a 'newer' area where as the other cities you will have better luck finding an area with more established trees, etc., especially in Minnetonka and Wayzata.
I have to disagree. The Maple Grove commute to the city is the easiest. IMHO

Old 07-22-2008, 11:38 AM

Eden Prairie High School got a Blue Ribbon Award by the US Department of Education and many see it as the highest honor that an American school can get and I remember that when I was attending junior high that there was a visit by President Bush to talk about education at the high school! I hope that I was older and got a ticket to go see the President and last year, one of my teachers talked about how he tried to make a Secret Service Agent laugh!

Old 07-22-2008, 11:55 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,385,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuccadc View Post
I want a community that still maintains its uniquness and charm despite its close proximity to Minneapolis.
You seem to be implying that Minneapolis proper doesn't have uniqueness and charm while the areas outside the city do. I feel the opposite. The city has a ton of uniqueness and charm while the suburbs are all the same, monotonous areas filled with cookie cutter homes, big box stores and chain restaurants.

Also, Minneapolis is the 2nd most bike-friendly city in the country and is chock full of parks, lakes, creeks and rivers, so if you're into hiking I wouldn't cross off Minneapolis proper.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
Eden Prairie High School got a Blue Ribbon Award by the US Department of Education and many see it as the highest honor that an American school can get and I remember that when I was attending junior high that there was a visit by President Bush to talk about education at the high school! I hope that I was older and got a ticket to go see the President and last year, one of my teachers talked about how he tried to make a Secret Service Agent laugh!
You have very good schools down there. But what about her commute to Minneapolis. I've heard horror stories...

Old 07-22-2008, 01:07 PM

I guess it depend on what time of the day that you have to commute, but usually it takes about 24 minutes to get to Minneapolis from Eden Prairie! There is a type of housing call a McMansion, so how can you tell if a house is one or not? I mean in Eden Prairie, there are different sizes of homes in different neighborhoods!

Old 07-22-2008, 01:19 PM

250 posts, read 992,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuccadc View Post
Maple Grove - Plymouth - Minnetonka - Eden Prairie?
I am moving to the area and am looking at these communities? I could use some help comparing/contrasting these ...what are the pros/cons of each? I am a young woman looking for a great community to work and raise a family in. I want a community that still maintains its uniquness and charm despite its close proximity to Minneapolis. I like to hike and bike, so great scenic trails/parks are a plus. Also affordable housing is somewhat important as is good traffic flow. (I live near Seattle now and many roads have been unable to keep up with suburban expansion creating a traffic nightmare!) Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I can speak to housing prices. Actually Eden Prairie (even historically) is more expensive than the others.

Minnetonka, average selling price for 6/08 was $348,819 (Up 1.9% from 6/07)

Eden Prairie, average selling price for 6/08 was $364,728 (Down 11.5% from 6/07)

Maple Grove, average selling price for 6/08 was $330,343 (Down 5.1% from 6/07)

Plymouth, average selling price for 6/08 was $350,071 (Up 16% from 6/07)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul