Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 05:58 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,400,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Yes I would mind. You know GD well what I’m talking about and so does everyone else. You think OP is fleeing Ramsey because the Friday night senior bingo games are getting too rowdy?
I honestly have no clue as my QOL hasn’t changed (and has been excellent) since I moved into my current home in Hennepin County in 2014. That’s why I asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2021, 08:32 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,462,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I honestly have no clue as my QOL hasn’t changed (and has been excellent) since I moved into my current home in Hennepin County in 2014. That’s why I asked.
It's already been well established that our definitions of QOL differ greatly. Apparently OP leans toward my definition, hence my advice to them in post #6.

Old 11-29-2021, 08:47 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,842,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
I’m done with Ramsey county. I’m actively searching to move into Anoka county. I’m open to Lino Lakes, Lexington, Blaine, Coon Rapids, Anoka, and Ramsey. Had lunch last weekend in downtown Anoka…really enjoyed being able to walk the Main Street of downtown without having to deal with “street level social issues”.
People I have spoken with have all had positive remarks about the town. The city just passed a law banning sidewalk calk art, and there were quite a few comments under the article calling Anoka the meth capital of the world. I have heard that about East Bethel(Methel), and was surprised to see those comments.
I’m looking for pros/cons of the town.
Not to worry, I'm sure the opioid crisis is much more pronounced in those areas than their ongoing meth addiction problems. Although one could look at that as being surrounded by a bunch of heroin addicts, I prefer to think of it as just having lots of neighbors that got a few too many refills of their prescription painkillers (...thus now need to get their refills at the "street level" as you describe).

And, assuming your use of “street level social issues” is at least in part code language to refer to [whisper] minorities [/end whisper], I'm sure you'll be relieved to know the "social issues" plaguing your target northern suburban areas are largely related to "blue collar" people.

(yes, I'm being sarcastic)

Old 11-29-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
It's already been well established that our definitions of QOL differ greatly. Apparently OP leans toward my definition, hence my advice to them in post #6.
What is your definition of QOL? I’m curious as to why you’re convinced that it differs so greatly from mine?

Old 11-30-2021, 08:25 AM

587 posts, read 564,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
What about Stillwater, it’s in Washington County, Hudson also…my brother works in the cities, but has lived in WI for last 22+ years. He must like WI a lot better since his drive has been at least 35 miles each way during the homes he’s had. He can afford to live in any city here also.
Thanks for your suggestion. I really enjoy Stillwater but 1) not sure about living in a “touristy” town and 2) it’s too long of a commute.

Quote:
We love Anoka, that is a beautiful area with an excellent city center.......but the issues with Ramsey and Hennepin have already bled into the surrounding counties, including Anoka, and will continue to do so. My advice? If you're going to run, run a good distance farther or risk finding yourself in the same boat all too soon.
Well I’m most definitely running. Last month, there was an armed carjacking in my townhome parking lot, then 3 days later there was another carjacking at the major intersection by me. I do wish I could go out further but unfortunately I’m at the mercy of a commute. Knowing drive time can double when it snows, I’d like to keep it within 25-30 minutes. Ideally, I would love to be in Lindstrom or Cambridge, but that’s just not feasible at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiste13 View Post
Why not 50th/France? It's not Ramsey County and it's certainly more upscale than Anoka.
Thanks for the suggestion, but upscale shopping is not a priority for me. Also, I’m not really interested in Hennepin County. I do work in a western suburb and thought about Maple Plain but decided to go with looking north in Anoka County. Looked at Delano (Wright County) too, but just a tad too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Not to worry, I'm sure the opioid crisis is much more pronounced in those areas than their ongoing meth addiction problems. Although one could look at that as being surrounded by a bunch of heroin addicts, I prefer to think of it as just having lots of neighbors that got a few too many refills of their prescription painkillers (...thus now need to get their refills at the "street level" as you describe).

And, assuming your use of “street level social issues” is at least in part code language to refer to [whisper] minorities [/end whisper], I'm sure you'll be relieved to know the "social issues" plaguing your target northern suburban areas are largely related to "blue collar" people.

(yes, I'm being sarcastic)
Thank you for sharing your opinion. The assumptions you make are more telling of your character, not mine. Rather than ASSuME, you should try engaging in a friendly dialogue. If you had, I may be willing to share more of my personal life experience of when I lived in downtown St Paul. However, your disparaging remarks about me based on your own inner dialogue of assumptions prove you are not worthy of my time.

Last edited by MsBall; 11-30-2021 at 09:13 AM..

Old 11-30-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthHurts100 View Post
Won’t speak for that poster or the OP but I’ll assume you are serious in your question and answer with my perspective. Carjackings. Break ins and theft both in my building and in our storage lockers, with my locked locker being one of those broken into. Homeless encampments and associated harassment. Homeless people camping out overnight in the vestibule of my building, leaving their food wrappers, needles and occasionally feces on the floor. Inept and arguably destructive city government in both Mpls and St. Paul. Etc.

I am sure all of this is news to you as you see to have found the Shangri-La portion of Minneapolis but for the rest of us city dwellers, QOL in the city has decreased incredibly in the past 2 years. Please just accept that many of us have experiences different from yours and consider yourself lucky. For now.
And homeless camps and car-jackings are becoming commonplace in Anoka, Dakota, Scott, Carver, Wright and Washington Counties too? This was my question.

Old 11-30-2021, 12:20 PM

4,363 posts, read 6,542,392 times
Plenty of crime to go around in Anoka, you won't escape it. Much of it is Meth related but there is still crime bleed from the city, they're able to make the commute themselves. Most of the bleed crime occurs along the main roads so you can be somewhat secluded from it. At least in Anoka County (most of it) I feel somewhat safe going out at night. That's a priceless piece of mind.

Have you considered looking to the west of your work location?

I'll be going rural now that I'm a permeant "remote worker", I'll soon have to break my lease. I love this neighborhood but not all that comes with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul