Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 06:58 PM

23 posts, read 166,993 times

Advertisements

My husband I are looking for things to do in the Anoka-Ramsey area that are fun for the family. Are there any good parks with playgrounds? Is there anything fun to do indoors in the winter? We are moving in 2 weeks and unfortunately will not have a yard for the kids, townhome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 05:34 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Grand Rio's Indoor Waterpark isn't far from there. It is a hotel but the general public can use the waterpark (for a fee) as well. My guess is that there are probably some nice parks and whatnot near your complex. If you are here before Halloween, Anoka is the Halloween capital of the world and they have a huge festival to celebrate that.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:36 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Grand Rio's is about a 30 minute drive from Ramsey. If you're looking for closer indoor entertainment check out the bowling alley off of Hwy 10 between Sunfish and Ramsey Blvd. You adults wouldn't enjoy this as much as the kids but there is a Chuck E. Cheese in Blaine off of University Ave. The only other notable forms of indoor entertainment in the area are a couple of movie theaters (one in Andover off of Bunker Lake Blvd and another in Coon Rapids off of Hwy 10 and Foley Blvd) and a performance theater in downtown Anoka off of Main St.

There is a paintball place in Ramsey called FSL Paintball arena off of 141st Ave. Depending on your kids' interests this may be worth checking out. I've never been there but I heard the prices weren't bad.

The best park in the Ramsey area is actually right on the Anoka/Ramsey border near the intersection of Bunker Lake Blvd and St. Francis Blvd on the Rum River. I believe it's called River's Bend Park. The park extends to the other side of Bunker Lake Blvd and over there you will find tennis courts and a soccer field.

Anoka's historic downtown is a fun place to explore. Every summer there is a huge sidewalk sale where all the Main Street businesses move outside. Also, St. Stephen's church has "Summerfest" one weekend every summer. Summerfest is a carnival type of setting where you'll find a decent variety of rides, games, food and entertainment for the family to enjoy. There is also a beer gardens there. On a larger scale, the Anoka Country fair takes place in Anoka right off of Ferry Street (St. Francis Blvd). This takes place in July usually.

I don't know if you're into golf but there are several golf courses in the northern suburbs. My favorites for overall price/quality are Bunker Hills in Coon Rapids and Greenhaven in Anoka. Woodland Hills in Andover is swampy, the gnats will destroy you there.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:22 PM

13 posts, read 61,852 times
If your looking for affordable fun for families Check out the YMCA's around the metro. They have so many activities, pool, sports, open gym, too many to list.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:12 PM

13 posts, read 59,494 times
Grew up in Ramsey my whole life. To be totally honest there isn't much to do unless you are easily entertained (which I am) We ended up doing a lot of BBQ's and bonfires in the summer, and ice fishing in the winter. There is a nice clay shooting place near Central Park in ramsey if you like sporting clays. THere are a few nice parks, one right off the dam in anoka, one called rivers bend in ramsey, one off of 116 and hwy 58 (if I remember right which I may not) in Ramsey right on the Rum. Don't know if you are religious or not, but church is where I met most of my closest friends and we went and did a lot of activities with them. Some real good ones in the area, PM me if you want more info on the churches. Quite a bit to do Riverdale in coon rapids and also elk river. Seems like you have to travel to neighboring towns for most entertainment but with Ramsey getting a new 'town center' maybe some good stuff will come out that way. Sorry if this is rambly, just what I experienced growing up!

Old 12-19-2011, 07:32 PM

5 posts, read 20,455 times
If it's cold enough to freeze find a park and go skating. It's amazing how warm a person stays when they are active and another to share it with.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:47 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrruption View Post
If it's cold enough to freeze find a park and go skating. It's amazing how warm a person stays when they are active and another to share it with.
It's been above 40 degrees for too long. Go here Cook Ice Arena Ice Skating Rink - Coon Rapids, MN

The Cook Area has open skating.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 12,576 times
Cook Arena isn't open anymore, it closed this summer. However, a new arena was built, The Coon Rapids Ice Center, which has a brand new outdoor skating rink.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:42 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnr575 View Post
Cook Arena isn't open anymore, it closed this summer. However, a new arena was built, The Coon Rapids Ice Center, which has a brand new outdoor skating rink.
I knew they demolished the Cook but I didn't realize they changed the name. The new location is where the old Target was located just 2-3 blocks from the old location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul