Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 01:04 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
The original post said:

I took exception to the part in bold and exchanged thoughts with the OP and a few other reasonable posters before you launched your typical personal attack here.

Now I have no idea what prompted that childish little outburst and I really don’t care, but I see you’ve downgraded the whole situation from the original “failing at the most basic human level” to “the right thing to do” wasn’t done.

Next post you’ll be agreeing that it was all partisan grandstanding.
There was no outburst, just calling it as I see it. It was my first post in the topic too, so I haven’t downgraded anything. At the end of the day you’re going to twist the story as you see fit. In this case you redirect blame onto the DFL and the media and evade any culpability to those who acted improperly here (the state GOP). Nobody can convince you otherwise so there is really no point in discussing it further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 02:24 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,714,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
There was no outburst, just calling it as I see it. It was my first post in the topic too, so I haven’t downgraded anything. At the end of the day you’re going to twist the story as you see fit. In this case you redirect blame onto the DFL and the media and evade any culpability to those who acted improperly here (the state GOP). Nobody can convince you otherwise so there is really no point in discussing it further.
I never initiated a discussion on this with you and I’m happy to never have another.

Old 11-18-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I never initiated a discussion on this with you and I’m happy to never have another.
I’ll interpret that as a concession that you can offer no compelling rebuttal...and furthermore once Gazelka resigns his post we can all move on to something else.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I’ll interpret that as a concession that you can offer no compelling rebuttal...and furthermore once Gazelka resigns his post we can all move on to something else.
You don’t seem to understand that you would have to actually make an argument in order for it to be rebutted. You confuse name calling with debate. That’s why you’re so bad at this.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
You don’t seem to understand that you would have to actually make an argument in order for it to be rebutted. You confuse name calling with debate. That’s why you’re so bad at this.
What needs to be debated at this point? The dude screwed up and he admitted to it and apologized. What am I missing here?

Old 11-18-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
What needs to be debated at this point? The dude screwed up and he admitted to it and apologized. What am I missing here?
I deleted my previous response in order to give you a more thoughtful response. I am still not happy with your name calling and wish you could rise above it, but it is clear to me that you (and the OP) are missing the point of all of this.

Sen. Senjem was tested for covid on Sunday, November 8 and received positive test results the next day. He had attended a Republican Party caucus meeting in November 5 which, depending on when he left the caucus meeting and when he was tested, may have been within 48 hours of the test. Party officials notified party members of the positive test results but did not inform the DFL Party. (To be clear, I do not personally participate in nor do I endorse large gatherings like the caucus meeting.)

The outrage is based on this quote:

Quote:
Senate Minority Leader Susan Kent, DFL-Woodbury, said in a statement. “This lack of transparency is a blatant disregard for the health and safety of others: our DFL and nonpartisan staff, members, and the communities we go home to.”
https://m.startribune.com/memo-warne...2/?clmob=y&c=n

So did the Republicans jeopardize the health of DFLers by not notifying them? That is the central question.

In the event of a positive covid test, contact tracers from the Minnesota Dept of Health speak to the “close contacts” of the positive person to notify them to quarantine and be tested. So why didn’t the MDH notify the DFL members?

It is because a close contact is someone who has been in contact within 6 feet for more than 15 minutes within two days prior to the onset of symptoms or the date of testing. So do DFL Party members fit this definition?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...x.html#contact

The last special session adjourned in October 15, 22 days prior to the test date. So the answer is no, DFL members were not in close contact with Sen. Senjem and, as a result, MDH did not fail at contact tracing and no one’s health was “jeopardized.”

https://www.leg.mn.gov/lrl/history/spsess

So why would Sen. Kent, the Star Tribune, and certain forum participants make this allegation if it is clearly untrue?

I can think of only two reasons: political gain or a lack of understanding of who is really at risk from covid transmission and, thus, who should be notified. I suggest tha Sen. Kent and the Strib are motivated by the first reason. I don’t know about the the people posting here but suspect it’s mostly the second reason.

Last edited by Glenfield; 11-18-2020 at 05:00 PM..

Old 11-18-2020, 05:08 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,450,244 times
Glenfield & Cruz - is it possible you two were married in a past life?

Old 11-18-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I deleted my previous response in order to give you a more thoughtful response. I am still not happy with your name calling and wish you could rise above it, but it is clear to me that you (and the OP) are missing the point of all of this.

Sen. Senjem was tested for covid on Sunday, November 8 and received positive test results the next day. He had attended a Republican Party caucus meeting in November 5 which, depending on when he left the caucus meeting and when he was tested, may have been within 48 hours of the test. Party officials notified party members of the positive test results but did not inform the DFL Party. (To be clear, I do not personally participate in nor do I endorse large gatherings like the caucus meeting.)

The outrage is based on this quote:

https://m.startribune.com/memo-warne...2/?clmob=y&c=n

So did the Republicans jeopardize the health of DFLers by not notifying them? That is the central question.

In the event of a positive covid test, contact tracers from the Minnesota Dept of Health speak to the “close contacts” of the positive person to notify them to quarantine and be tested. So why didn’t the MDH notify the DFL members?

It is because a close contact is someone who has been in contact within 6 feet for more than 15 minutes within two days prior to the onset of symptoms or the date of testing. So do DFL Party members fit this definition?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...x.html#contact

The last special session adjourned in October 15, 22 days prior to the test date. So the answer is no, DFL members were not in close contact with Sen. Senjem and, as a result, MDH did not fail at contact tracing and no one’s health was “jeopardized.”

https://www.leg.mn.gov/lrl/history/spsess

So why would Sen. Kent, the Star Tribune, and certain forum participants make this allegation if it is clearly untrue?

I can think of only two reasons: political gain or a lack of understanding of who is really at risk from covid transmission and, thus, who should be notified. I suggest tha Sen. Kent and the Strib are motivated by the first reason. I don’t know about the the people posting here but suspect it’s mostly the second reason.
Per MPR news: After several Minnesota Republican senators and staff tested positive for COVID-19, a top GOP caucus leader emailed Republicans on Tuesday to give them a heads up on the news. Senate Democrats, though, were not told their GOP colleagues had contracted the highly contagious disease before a special session was held on Thursday.

I believe this is in reference to the special session held on Thursday, November 12, which was just days after the super spreader GOP caucus meeting and dinner and after several members had tested positive for COVID. I think most people would agree it would have been important to let your colleagues know about this prior to the special session.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Per MPR news: After several Minnesota Republican senators and staff tested positive for COVID-19, a top GOP caucus leader emailed Republicans on Tuesday to give them a heads up on the news. Senate Democrats, though, were not told their GOP colleagues had contracted the highly contagious disease before a special session was held on Thursday.

I believe this is in reference to the special session held on Thursday, November 12, which was just days after the super spreader GOP caucus meeting and dinner and after several members had tested positive for COVID. I think most people would agree it would have been important to let your colleagues know about this prior to the special session.
The special session took place AFTER they had been tested and quarantined. No one who was positive was going to the special session. For that reason, no one was placed in danger.

Republicans were notified because they had been in contact with the people who tested positive PRIOR TOthe testing.

This distinction seems to elude you. Perhaps you think that covid can be transmitted by third parties, but that is not the case.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
The special session took place AFTER they had been tested and quarantined. No one who was positive was going to the special session. For that reason, no one was placed in danger.

Republicans were notified because they had been in contact with the people who tested positive PRIOR TOthe testing.

This distinction seems to elude you. Perhaps you think that covid can be transmitted by third parties, but that is not the case.
It doesn’t elude me. They still held the special session with some members attending in person. Even if those who tested positive weren’t in attendance there would have been others in attendance who had been present at the GOP caucus meeting and dinner (potentially exposed) thus putting others at risk, including those who were not notified of the outspread.

We’re talking about poor judgment and lack of transparency that potentially put peoples health at risk, and that isn’t cool at all.

The Star Tribune reached out to members of the MN GOP and at least one member said he had “cold symptoms” and hadn’t gotten tested and basically didn’t care if he got it or not. It is reckless behavior like this which has caused us to be where we are right now.

https://m.startribune.com/gazelka-sa...tly/573103631/

Here is the quote: Responses from GOP legislators ranged widely. Sen. Bruce Anderson, R-Buffalo Township, said he attended both the caucus meeting and the dinner event and had a cold. But he was not concerned about exposure and had not gotten a COVID-19 test.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 11-19-2020 at 08:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul