Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 05:00 PM

83 posts, read 81,191 times

Advertisements

I lived in Phillips before and know of it as an option for sure. I was just asking for more input on other places. Just because I enjoyed that neighborhood doesn't mean they're isn't other fantastic parts of the city to look into as options. I also haven't seen too many housing options in Phillips thus far.

I mean if you had specific questions you could just ask? I just was curious if anyone had any suggestions or personal thoughts on places they lived. I said I was 25 so obviously opportunities for nightlight/urban areas are cool I guess? I figure that'd be accessible in a lot of areas of the city.

As far as Phillips, again, I just said that's where I lived and I enjoyed it before and someone asked why. I explained. Not sure why it was anymore than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 05:07 PM

587 posts, read 563,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
You didn’t give much info on what you’re looking for and someone post links to 18 previous threads on the general topic. People who have the most success with these are specific about what they want. You gave us Phillips as point of reference and we went with it.
valid point

From CD TOS

//www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Quote:
Please use the Search this Forum tool to find info you need, as much has already been written about schools, jobs, weather, crime, prices, rentals, walkability and other aspects of a location. If you don't find it, please sign in and ask your questions. New users should use the Search this Forum tool before posting a question that may have already been answered. Let us know that you have searched the forums, so we don't assume otherwise.

When asking questions about a location, give as much detail as you can, so we can zero in on the info you need. If house hunting, what is your price level or rental amount. How many BR's, Baths, square feet, lot size, etc, do you need? Pets? SFH, TH, Condo, mobile home? In-town, rural, college town, military town, mountains? Schools for children? Gated community, golf course community, active senior community? Do you need to stable a horse? Is there an RV or boat trailer to consider? The more you tell us, the sooner our regular posters can reply with specificity. Same for any other criteria you have. Please avoid open-ended requests like "I'm moving to your city, tell me EVERYTHING I need to know."

Old 10-11-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
It seems you already found your answer before you posted? I’d recommend NE, but that’s what area I’m biased towards and hangout often in.
Good to know. I love breweries and know there's a lot of great ones up in that area. Is traffic pretty crazy to get down to south Minneapolis from up there in rush hour that you know of?

Old 10-12-2020, 07:32 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,603,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC5 View Post
Hey all,

I'm a 25 year old and moving up to Minneapolis for my job at the end of December. I'd love to hear some info about good neighborhoods to check out (living wise).

I actually lived up near the Phillips neighborhood back about 5 years ago prior to graduating for a little bit and loved the area. Been itching to get back after stays in Chicago and Des Moines.

I also am ideally looking to find a roommate or two if possible to mitigate costs. So hit me up if you're in the same boat/know someone in the same situation. The plan is the end of December/very latest being January 1st.
Dress warm. It is going to be cold.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:18 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
To the OP - providing the following information would be helpful in personalizing a response:

-approximate work location (or work from home?)
-approximate budget?
-do you own a car (for parking considerations) or are you planning to get by with biking and public transportation?
-what amenities are you most interested in having in your vicinity?

Old 10-12-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
To the OP - providing the following information would be helpful in personalizing a response:

-approximate work location (or work from home?)
-approximate budget?
-do you own a car (for parking considerations) or are you planning to get by with biking and public transportation?
-what amenities are you most interested in having in your vicinity?
Work location is just south of Minneapolis/in Phillips.

Ideally would like to keep it to $900 or under ideally, but there's flexibility there. Thought about the idea of getting a roommate or two as well.

I do own a car. Minneapolis had some decent public transit but still seemed like a city where a car would be kind of important.

I'd say green spaces/the lakes being relatively close would be pretty nice. Dives/food spots/coffee spots in walking distance would be ideal.

Old 10-12-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Work location is just south of Minneapolis/in Phillips.

Ideally would like to keep it to $900 or under ideally, but there's flexibility there. Thought about the idea of getting a roommate or two as well.

I do own a car. Minneapolis had some decent public transit but still seemed like a city where a car would be kind of important.

I'd say green spaces/the lakes being relatively close would be pretty nice. Dives/food spots/coffee spots in walking distance would be ideal.
On that budget you’re going to be looking at shared living in the more desirable areas of the city for young professionals (Uptown, North Loop, etc.) If you’re insistent on getting a studio or 1 bedroom apartment you may have some luck in areas like Whittier or Powderhorn but expect to deal with some crime and poverty (similar to what you’d see in Phillips).

Other areas to consider are the Wedge (Lowry Hills East) or Lyndale, which I’d consider to be the grittier or more modest corners of the Uptown area, but I suspect it could be tough to find an apartment in those areas for $900.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
On that budget you’re going to be looking at shared living in the more desirable areas of the city for young professionals (Uptown, North Loop, etc.) If you’re insistent on getting a studio or 1 bedroom apartment you may have some luck in areas like Whittier or Powderhorn but expect to deal with some crime and poverty (similar to what you’d see in Phillips).

Other areas to consider are the Wedge (Lowry Hills East) or Lyndale, which I’d consider to be the grittier or more modest corners of the Uptown area, but I suspect it could be tough to find an apartment in those areas for $900.
I saw some units in Uptown for anywhere from $800-$950. Maybe due to COVID?

Was told Podwerhorn was a bit eh right now so makes sense. I did hear good things about Whittier but happy to get a different perspective on it too. Definitely helps a lot.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I saw some units in Uptown for anywhere from $800-$950. Maybe due to COVID?

Was told Podwerhorn was a bit eh right now so makes sense. I did hear good things about Whittier but happy to get a different perspective on it too. Definitely helps a lot.
Whittier is home to Eat Street, so you’d have plenty of food options within walking distance. In my opinion the area has been mired by an ugly Kmart store blocking the intersection of Lake and Nicollet, but fortunately the store is no more and there are plans in place to open up the street once again. I predict that Whittier will become the new up and coming neighborhood (AKA gentrified) in the next 5-10 years.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:18 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,706,332 times
Quote:
Whittier is home to Eat Street, so you’d have plenty of food options within walking distance. In my opinion the area has been mired by an ugly Kmart store blocking the intersection of Lake and Nicollet, but fortunately the store is no more and there are plans in place to open up the street once again. I predict that Whittier will become the new up and coming neighborhood (AKA gentrified) in the next 5-10 years.
Agreed. I don't know much about the current rental prices, but I would place whittier above both Phillips and Powderhorn. Statistically speaking, Phillips and Powderhorn have more crime than the other south Minnie neighborhoods. One's safety is all relative, so depending on your perspective on crime, you can determine if you're okay with that price/crime tradeoff.

That said, you could also look into the below which I think are some of the better values, with access to South Minnie, once again I can't comment on prices.

Seward
Longfellow
Nokomis
Uptown
Lyn Lake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul