Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 07:19 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
Personal safety shouldn't be a priority anywhere regardless if the area is crime-ridden. It's infuriating that scared white flighters act like crime doesn't exist in the suburbs too. Besides, just because a certain demographic happens to inhabit the area, doesn't mean it's bad. As someone who grew up in Detroit, I can reasonably assert that Minneapolis' "bad neighborhoods" are pale in comparison.

Philips is a wonderful neighborhood. I recommend it to the OP contrary to popular opinion on here.
I also grew up in Detroit. East side born and raised. Proud graduate of Denby High School and lived in the city until I moved here and live in the city no.
[Mod cut: personal]

Nobody — no matter what race— likes being robbed, carjacked or worse and plenty of that is going on in Phillips right now. That it’s not yet comparable Detroit at its worst is a low bar.

Do you actually live in Minneapolis? I thought you moved.

Last edited by elnina; 10-12-2020 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 07:32 PM

512 posts, read 473,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I also grew up in Detroit. East side born and bred. Lived in the city until I moved here and live in the city now.
[Mod cut: personal]
Nobody likes being robbed, carjacked or worse and plenty of that is going on in Phillips right now. That it’s not yet comparable Detroit at its worst is a low bar. Do you actually live in Minneapolis? I thought you moved.

Yes, I did move and have lived in Minneapolis on and off with my family. Lived in Philips for about a year (at least a decade ago) and had no issues. Neighbors were friendly and hard-working (at least the ones on my block). Even what people regard as "rough neighborhoods" can have good people in it. There are good people like myself who refuse to stay out of a neighborhood simply because it's crime-ridden and has a bad reputation among city dwellers. I chose to live there and help make the neighborhood a better place. Middle-class people fleeing a neighborhood is why these so-called "bad neighborhoods" exist - they deteriorate in quality because people with the means and resources to improve those neighborhoods, leave. Can't always escape problems in life.
[Mod edit: orphaned]

Last edited by elnina; 10-12-2020 at 11:34 AM..

Old 10-10-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, I did move and have lived in Minneapolis on and off with my family. Lived in Philips for about a year (at least a decade ago) and had no issues. Neighbors were friendly and hard-working (at least the ones on my block). Even what people regard as "rough neighborhoods" can have good people in it. There are good people like myself who refuse to stay out of a neighborhood simply because it's crime-ridden and has a bad reputation among city dwellers. I chose to live there and help make the neighborhood a better place. Middle-class people fleeing a neighborhood is why these so-called "bad neighborhoods" exist - they deteriorate in quality because people with the means and resources to improve those neighborhoods, leave. Can't always escape problems in life.

[Mod edit: orphaned]
Well, the decision to risk your personal safety for the greater good of a neighborhood might be noble or it might be foolish , but there’s no reason to disparage those who make another choice. The “demographic” they’re fleeing are criminals. You basically said anyone who doesn’t want to live in a high crime area is racist. I take exception to that and yes, I see it as bigoted.

Maybe your understanding of the area is dated as you don’t know what it’s like here now, today, having moved and all.

Last edited by elnina; 10-12-2020 at 11:36 AM..

Old 10-10-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Well, the decision to risk your personal safety for the greater good of a neighborhood might be noble or it might be foolish , but there’s no reason to disparage those who make another choice. The “demographic” they’re fleeing are criminals. You basically said anyone who doesn’t want to live in a high crime area is racist. I take exception to that and yes, I see it as bigoted.

Fair enough.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:43 PM

83 posts, read 81,113 times
Quote:
Personal safety should be a priority anywhere regardless if the area is crime-ridden. It's infuriating that scared white flighters act like crime doesn't exist in the suburbs too. Besides, just because a certain demographic happens to inhabit the area, doesn't mean it's bad. As someone who grew up in Detroit, I can reasonably assert that Minneapolis' "bad neighborhoods" are pale in comparison.

Philips is a wonderful neighborhood. I recommend it to the OP contrary to popular opinion on here. I'll bet the majority of the naysayers have never lived in Philips (let alone driven through the neighborhood) and only form their opinions based on what they hear on the news and from those in their social circles.
I believe you're right.

I have a buddy right now in Phillips up there and he has said he hasn't ever had any issues (he's lived there since I was last up there).

Feel like people over exaggerate on crime. Same was said when I moved to Chicago and again, never had any issues. Lived in areas on the south side and the north side. Was they're less desirable areas than others? Of course. But as long as you have basic street smarts you'll be fine.

But yeah, not worried whatsoever about Phillips. Still know plenty of people up there and they haven't steered me away from that area.

Old 10-11-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC5 View Post
I believe you're right.

I have a buddy right now in Phillips up there and he has said he hasn't ever had any issues (he's lived there since I was last up there).

Feel like people over exaggerate on crime. Same was said when I moved to Chicago and again, never had any issues. Lived in areas on the south side and the north side. Was they're less desirable areas than others? Of course. But as long as you have basic street smarts you'll be fine.

But yeah, not worried whatsoever about Phillips. Still know plenty of people up there and they haven't steered me away from that area.

Exactly! That's the key!

Old 10-11-2020, 11:46 AM

Good. It’s decided then.

Old 10-11-2020, 02:41 PM

83 posts, read 81,113 times
Quote:
Good. It’s decided then.

?

I'm asking for neighborhoods people can recommend/they think I should look into. Guess I should have expected a political/crime ridden response and should've abstained from posting anything?

Literally all it's been is trashing on the city/crime around a neighborhood. I'm not asking for places to stay away from.

Old 10-11-2020, 03:12 PM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
?

I'm asking for neighborhoods people can recommend/they think I should look into. Guess I should have expected a political/crime ridden response and should've abstained from posting anything?

Literally all it's been is trashing on the city/crime around a neighborhood. I'm not asking for places to stay away from.
It seems you already found your answer before you posted? I’d recommend NE, but that’s what area I’m biased towards and hangout often in.

Old 10-11-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
?

You didn’t give much info on what you’re looking for and someone post links to 18 previous threads on the general topic. People who have the most success with these are specific about what they want. You gave us Phillips as point of reference and we went with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul