Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 10:03 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,098 times

Advertisements

I don't live there, but have traveled for business quite often (and have staff that report to me there). I believe it will recover. Residents of Minneapolis are very proud of their city and they have every right to be. It may take a while to rebuild some of the corridors (like Lake Street, LOVE the Mexican options there), but I think it will heal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 11:53 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Recover from riot or COVID19? Many cities will need a long time to recover from COVID19 without any looting.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:24 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,690,334 times
I think it depends on the citizens in Minneapolis. Are the more liberal city council members & mayor, who basically have failed the city and abandoned it during a crisis, truly reflective of the beliefs of the majority of the city's population? If so, then it likely is over because what business owners actually want to be located in places that are essentially hostile to them?

If the actions of the city leadership truly isn't reflective of the majority of the citizens, then the next 1 to 2 years will be crucial and it will be up to those decent citizens to place tremendous pressure on the city council and mayor to start acting like leaders. They need to demonstrate that they are pro-business and that they want to work with police and the community to solve the city's issues rather than giving into unreasonable demands that will hurt the city in the long-term. If they can't do that, then vote them out in November of 2021.

Old 06-14-2020, 06:24 PM

29 posts, read 62,401 times
Unfortunately it seems that Minneapolis will have a real challenge on its hands. I don't think Detroit is the right analogy, given how diversified the economy is in MPLS, but perhaps Newark is...

Downtown Newark was vibrant and bustling before the 1968 riots. People from all around Northern New Jersey would flock to it for the shopping and entertainment. Newark had several nice neighborhoods as well. After the riots, it all disappeared. To this day, there are a group of Newark real estate bulls who will say that Newark will have its day again because of proximity to New York City. And they've been saying it for years.

Maybe they're right, but it's taken over 50 years. And as for Minneapolis, the aggregate crime rate is worse there than in Newark. You read that right. Worse than Newark.

I don't see Minneapolis regaining its positive reputation anytime soon and see it standing much to lose unfortunately.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:25 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Honestly, I find it nigh impossible to blame a political party that has not controlled the city in almost half a century for all the bad things that have happened there recently, but maybe I just can't fit my head far enough up my ass to understand how it might be the fault of the party perpetually out of power after all. Alas, it just strikes me as disingenuous, not unlike those who have been in federal politics for 30 or more years blaming a man who never held public office until three and a half years ago for all the problems of the U.S. government and the externalities of its policies. Yeah, that guy's the real problem, and they swear things'll be different this time, if we just vote him out.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:31 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
(Long and wordy post, but I'll leave it

Just wondering if Seattle, with lots of protests and apparent anarchy with CHAZ for who knows how much longer, is also in for the long-term damage that some here feel about Minneapolis.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but i like both cities for possible future retirement, so am simply curious.

And both cities have diverse corporate bases, right? Unlike perhaps Detroit back when it began its slide and perhaps Newark, NJ back then also.

But I think Seattle didn't have as much arson as Minneapolis, and Minneapolis was/is still shocking as it was the first city to loot, burn and destroy due to the location of the crime. So I guess the public's perception of Minneapolis will now always be worse than Seattle as a
a result?

I visit your forum at times, as I was born in St.Paul in 1960, then eventually lived in White Bear Lake until after kindergarten. My parents are from Canada, so no deep roots in Minnesota. I visited the area for a week in 1999 and liked it; my brother did a lot of biz travel back then and went to MSP a few times and called it "awesome," so it prompted me to check it out as I was yearning to relocate, before changing my mind and staying in wonderful Boston which I moved to for college.

So I've adopted the Twin Cities in a way, following its news at times and generally playing it up to people here on the east coast who often have never visited and don't know or care much about your area.

FYI, many I have chatted with in my cab and driving Uber over the years who have been to Minneapolis usually have a favorable opinion.

So I wish it well! And may relocate there in a few years, and try to help in any small way. After all, we can't let America lose one of its finest cities!

Old 06-15-2020, 02:15 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 14 hours ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
Major riots can certainly intensify the public image (justified or not) of a locale. Los Angeles had the Rodney King riots, yet in the long run had little damage to its reputation regarding race relations and prosperity creation. True, its cost of living is stratospheric, but that's a different issue. The issue is whether major race riots ruin a city's reputation to the point that its prosperity is ruined.

My short answer: It can, but doesn't predestine, a city to economic decline. Certainly it can accelerate already-existing economic troubles.

Old 06-16-2020, 11:36 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
George Floyd's death only reinforced Garrison Keillor's stereotypical MN. I used to think that MSP was an underrated and overlooked city in this region with Chicago overshadowing everything in the Great Lakes/Midwest. Now Chicago has become the only acceptable relocation option within the region.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:12 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
Nope. Not while the Democrats are in charge, letting police stations burn and defunding the police. Born and raised but I won’t set foot in town again. Ever. And I am not alone. Fed up with the lack of real leadership. Let’s see what happens now.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:42 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I think it depends on the citizens in Minneapolis. Are the more liberal city council members & mayor, who basically have failed the city and abandoned it during a crisis, truly reflective of the beliefs of the majority of the city's population? If so, then it likely is over because what business owners actually want to be located in places that are essentially hostile to them?

If the actions of the city leadership truly isn't reflective of the majority of the citizens, then the next 1 to 2 years will be crucial and it will be up to those decent citizens to place tremendous pressure on the city council and mayor to start acting like leaders. They need to demonstrate that they are pro-business and that they want to work with police and the community to solve the city's issues rather than giving into unreasonable demands that will hurt the city in the long-term. If they can't do that, then vote them out in November of 2021.
You bring up a good point.

If residents and business perceive city management (and even elected officials) are hostile to them, and will allow anarchists/mobs run rampant like they did, who will want to invest or even remain in Minneapolis?

I know a lot of people are sheep, but not everybody. The riots and destruction was very real, and city management failed, and failed hard.

The city council are all very left wing, and the council presidents public comments after the riots died were simply stupid, due entirely to her left wing bias.

Jacob Frey fake sobbing on funeral casket of George Floyd did not fool a single thinking person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vph7pc0vFA

The soonest indication of the people of Minneapolis being serious about rebuilding Minneapolis and showing Minneapolis is a welcoming, safe place to be is by flushing that divisive turd Ilhan Omar in 2020.

The council and mayor can follow.

That will help set a tone that will encourage business and residents to invest in Minneapolis.

My youngest sister moved from Minneapolis up north to to Pine City last weekend. She had enough of the uncertainty for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul