Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 01:49 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times

Advertisements

Yeah but Nick, according to these "intellectual individuals" crime data is biased and doesn't put odd exceptions into consideration, meaning they are completely useless.

There is one thing we've learned from their banter though. If you're an overly paranoid filmmaker, don't live in Uptown, lol.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:00 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
How bout' we stop debating the crime rate in Uptown and answer the question , good lord. My personal belief is that things won't get better for much of the Northside, Phillips will begin to improve over time. And while Richfield and Brooklyn Center aren't dangerous at the time being, I wouldn't buy a house there and wait 10 or 20 years.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:08 PM

just avoid buying a house in an area with alot of section 8 rentals.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 91,026 times

I talked a couple months ago with a Police officer, FYI St. Paul is more dangerous to live than Minneapolis, shocking. I dont know that much about Minneapolis, people say its really bad, if you are not in North Minneapolis for a hooker, drugs, you are going to most likely get perceived as a whistle blower and get shot and mugged.

To Mr. Stokes and everybody else if you dont know St. Paul, stay away from Daytons Bluff, its a bad neighborhood, its called the wrong side of the tracks over a year ago a cop got shot, there are some places the cops wont even go in that area because of the surplus of gangs. One day I was coming home from work. I almost got mugged by two crips on their bicycles, they told me give me your stuff you mother bleep. I stayed calm and was able to escape I was chased 250 feet. My former friend or roommate is an idiot, he thinks I am a pessimistic person. He bought a house near downtown, because it was an easy commute, but what good is it if there is a lot of crime. Everytime I went grocery shopping police would be parading the streets in a high speed chase, I seen a couple drug busts. My house was broken into by a heroin addict that they caught in Little Canada. I miss my friends from Minnesota, but it was a crazy place. My friend has the notion, that if you dont bother people people wont mess with you. I lived by Phalen Park, about a half a mile. That is not true, he says nothing has happened to me, its safe, he has a one sided opinion. He uses christianity to dictate his decisions. Praying for God maybe good for some people, but if you dont think rationally and are aware of your surroundings and are too trustworthy you are going to be deadmeat saying God will save me. A homeless person died of internal bleeding across from Metropolitan State University by gangmembers with baseball bats that repeatedly hit him, the officer I spoke with said it was not mentioned in the newspaper because it would scare people. My friend has the idea if nothing did not happen to him, nothing bad will happen to other people. Whats sad is that he is a civil engineer with no common sense, which proves the notion more booksmarts a decrease in commonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stokes View Post
Based on my own experience raising my kids, I'd say stay away from North Minneapolis past Highway 55. All you have to do is watch TV news and read the Minneapolis Tribune daily paper to be very much aware that not only is the North Side a bad place to live but also Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center. They're always in the news for murders and rapes.

However you have to also add the Uptown area, which has become rather trendy otherwise. But at night, there are lots of murders and raps done in this area. That includes then Hennepin & Lake Street and the surrouding streets and avenues for several blocks. Why in the world investors are putting up slick high rises is beyond my understanding. You can't walk alone in that area after dark. And there's lots of crime in that area in the daytime. You should read the Southwest Journal, which regularly has at least a two-page spread of crime reports in the daytime and nightime.

Now then, where are the GOOD places to live? Kenwood, which is just west of the crime-filled Uptown area, and St. Louis Park. In fact, St. Louis Park is the overall best place to live in Minneapolis in my humble opinion.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 91,026 times
Default st. paul gangs

people are moving from detroit, chicago, and milwaukee because its easier to get foodstamps in the twincities, and obtain unemployment that is one of the big reasons for drugs, prostitution, and gang activity. FYI there are 300 types of gangs in St. Paul more than Minneapolis. I was harassed after leaving my house not even 50 ft. by a guy trying to sell me a prostitute out of piece of dump car, I said no, and ignored him. It was 4 pm daytime in Sept. of 2006. People dont have any shame. I dont want to live in an environment with so many people that are a cancer to society, I look at myself in the mirror before I judge people. I am not a perfect but there are a lot of bad apples here, a lot of the kids that lived by me dont have dads, and get caught up in gangs and think its the way of life robbing people. My mom is from Ecuador, and there are poor people in Ecuador who use gutters as roofs, and they are not killing people over shoes like the murder of Courtney Brown or killing you if you wre wearing a red shirt, you will get killed in a drive by, the stuff that goes down in Minneapolis. There are good and bad people everywhere, but these people should hate this world being dirt poor, but they sell candy out on the streets to earn a living. Some kids go to high school or elementary school at night, and help sell food or serve food at a restaurant to help pay the bills. There are people who work hard, but there are a lot of lazy people in America who want an easy life robbing people pulling a gun if they want something. Dont think I am anti-American, I am just voicing my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stokes View Post
Based on my own experience raising my kids, I'd say stay away from North Minneapolis past Highway 55. All you have to do is watch TV news and read the Minneapolis Tribune daily paper to be very much aware that not only is the North Side a bad place to live but also Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center. They're always in the news for murders and rapes.

However you have to also add the Uptown area, which has become rather trendy otherwise. But at night, there are lots of murders and raps done in this area. That includes then Hennepin & Lake Street and the surrouding streets and avenues for several blocks. Why in the world investors are putting up slick high rises is beyond my understanding. You can't walk alone in that area after dark. And there's lots of crime in that area in the daytime. You should read the Southwest Journal, which regularly has at least a two-page spread of crime reports in the daytime and nightime.

Now then, where are the GOOD places to live? Kenwood, which is just west of the crime-filled Uptown area, and St. Louis Park. In fact, St. Louis Park is the overall best place to live in Minneapolis in my humble opinion.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:13 PM

132 posts, read 576,593 times
<Now then, where are the GOOD places to live? Kenwood, which is just west of the crime-filled Uptown area, and St. Louis Park. In fact, St. Louis Park is the overall best place to live in Minneapolis in my humble opinion.>

It's strange how a good neighborhood can be so close to a bad one! I have heard good things about Golden Valley (and sometimes its neighbor St Louis Park), and yet it's next to north minneapolis.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 42,114 times
aight the places that are bad in minneapolis is north and the in southside hoods of longfellow, phillips, seward, and cedar. Those are the places you want to stay away from if you aint used to the hood life. ohh yea also all those suburb people think that brooklyn park and center are bad just think that cuz its the only suburb with black s in it!!!

Old 06-19-2007, 06:54 PM

638 posts, read 3,123,604 times
We lived in the Uptown area for 14 years and the only crime we ever experienced was my son's bike was stolen when he left it outside by the sidewalk one night. Our kids were in elementary school and they could walk back and forth to the parks in the area; it was a great place to raise kids.

We did move out of the area 14 years ago; and are considering moving back to that area within the next year or so. We still have friends and old neighbors in the area and visit quite often.

Our kids now live in St. Louis Park and still visit Uptown frequently; I drive through that area at least twice a week and also frequently have appointments in that area. I have yet to see any "haven for those who seek to or are already high on drugs and alcohol. Cops are continually arresting them for drunkeness, drugs and lewd behavior." Obviously, I must time ALL of my visits to Uptown for right AFTER the cops have cleaned out the riff raff because I rarely see any police cars, or even cops arresting anyone!

I've always considered that area as being colorful and friendly. Where else will you see a middle-aged man wearing a butch haircut, a spiked dog collar, a full skirt and a blouse with a madonna-type bra under it waiting for a bus?

I also think that if a person uses normal common sense concerning their personal safety, then they can function in their world and feel relatively safe. Being alert to your surroundings and paying attention to who is around you makes a big difference in how you view the world. I still think that that is a very safe neighborhood and would be more than happy to move back there any day.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:43 PM

59 posts, read 308,387 times
I'm not really sure WHAT neighborhood this intersection/area would be considered, some said it was Phillips, some said it was Northern uptown, but around the intersection of Franklin & Nicollet.... Oy Vey. .... not so pretty.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:15 PM

Yeah, you're probably just saying that because the building on the southeast corner of the interesection is half-disected. Wait till the construction is finished and that interection will look like every other major intersection in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul