Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 02:15 AM

13 posts, read 86,151 times

Advertisements

How about the area around Willard-Hay, Near North (neighborhood) and Harrison? Based on the police maps it doesn't look that bad, the problem parts of north Minneapolis are north of Broadway, quite a few blocks away.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:43 PM

4 posts, read 27,287 times
Avoid the Jordan neighborhood at all costs. Actually, I would just look at a MetroTransit route map. If it is a express route that goes on a freeway then starts delivering passengers, it's probably OK. Any in-city route areas can be touchy. Ride the 5 or the 18 once - you'll see what I mean. I used to live in the Cleveland Park neighborhood and there was no way I walked out at night or took my daughter to the park without my husband. Nothing ever happened close to our home - we were more west of the real "problem" areas, but it was close enough to keep me on our toes. Again, Jordan is a horrible neighborhood... kids have been killed as innocent bystanders of gang activity.

I grew up in Brooklyn Park. It's not too bad - just get as far north as you can. The closer to Brooklyn Center or Minneapolis you are, the worse it gets.

That's my 2 cents.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:39 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blond Girl View Post
Avoid the Jordan neighborhood at all costs. Actually, I would just look at a MetroTransit route map. If it is a express route that goes on a freeway then starts delivering passengers, it's probably OK. Any in-city route areas can be touchy. Ride the 5 or the 18 once - you'll see what I mean. I used to live in the Cleveland Park neighborhood and there was no way I walked out at night or took my daughter to the park without my husband. Nothing ever happened close to our home - we were more west of the real "problem" areas, but it was close enough to keep me on our toes. Again, Jordan is a horrible neighborhood... kids have been killed as innocent bystanders of gang activity.

I grew up in Brooklyn Park. It's not too bad - just get as far north as you can. The closer to Brooklyn Center or Minneapolis you are, the worse it gets.

That's my 2 cents.
I say Booooo!! to your post. I'm not going to delve into the issue of the Jordan neighborhood (although I'm not a fan of them and can say that I toured some beautiful homes in Jordan on the Mpls Home Tour last weekend), but I will say that I highly disagree with your comments about in-city bus route areas being touchy and that the only "nice" areas are places where buses get on a freeway before dropping people off - in other words, you're saying that suburbs (and likely far out suburbs) are the only good places to live? Come on...

Old 02-27-2009, 07:16 AM

9 posts, read 41,243 times
In Minneapolis and St. Paul, there are a ton of bad neighborhoods.
Minneapolis:
Camden
Near North
Phillips
Powderhorn
Nokomis
Parts of University

St. Paul:
Midway Industrial
Daytons Bluff
Northeast
North
East Side
Parts of South; South of river

There are some blocks in North Minneapolis and East St. Paul where if you stand there on that block doing nothing, you could be killed in a matter of minutes.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:18 AM

9 posts, read 41,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
How about the area around Willard-Hay, Near North (neighborhood) and Harrison? Based on the police maps it doesn't look that bad, the problem parts of north Minneapolis are north of Broadway, quite a few blocks away.
You are wrong, Willard-Hay, Near North, etc. are some of the worst neighborhoods in Minneapolis, if not the United States.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:24 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blond Girl View Post

That's my 2 cents.
Nonsense! Don't know about Routes 5 & 18, but there are dozens of other in-city routes that pass through excellent, safe neighborhoods (like mine!)!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:27 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest minneapolitan View Post
Minneapolis:
Camden
Near North
Phillips
Powderhorn
Nokomis
Parts of University

St. Paul:
Midway Industrial
Daytons Bluff
Northeast
North
East Side

There are some blocks in North Minneapolis and East St. Paul where if you stand there on that block doing nothing, you could be killed in a matter of minutes.
Broad brush we have here! The East side of St Paul is all bad? Not quite. Ever been to Battle Creek? Highwood? Mound Park?

Old 02-27-2009, 04:16 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest minneapolitan View Post
Minneapolis:
Camden
Near North
Phillips
Powderhorn
Nokomis
Parts of University

St. Paul:
Midway Industrial
Daytons Bluff
Northeast
North
East Side

I'm surprised you're even able to live in Southwest Minneapolis. Some excerpted SOUTHWEST MINNEAPOLIS (arguably the most sought after area in all of Minneapolis) highlights from Minneapolis' 2008 crime statistics:
  • Kingfield: In 2008, had 2 murders, 2 rapes, 30 robberies (my n. mpls neighborhood only had a 1/3 of that, and we considered that bad), 17 aggravated assaults, 98 burglaries, 35 auto thefts, 129 larcenies,
  • Windom: In 2008, had 4 rapes, 9 robberies, 24 aggravated assaults (my n. mpls neighborhood had half of that, and again, a bad year for us), 42 burglaries, 25 auto thefts, 93 larcenies,
  • Linden Hills: In 2008, had 3 rapes (again, more than my N Mpls nbrhd), 60 burglaries, 104 larcenies.
Is this a high amount of crime? Hell no, it's actually all very low crime for a city neighborhood (relatively speaking, some of those #s are surprising)- but according to the above poster's standards I can't believe s/he can even walk outside in the daytime with all that crime going on so close by. IMHO - I think it's time for the moderator to revoke the above poster's membership on this board, there's already too much nonsense being spewed here and they seem to be making a concerted effort to provide
as much broad misinformation as possible.

P.S. - noticed a typo in my last post, it's meant to read "I'm not going to delve into the comments on the Jordan neighborhood (but I'm not a fan of them..... (e.g. the poster's comments that is).

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 02-27-2009 at 04:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul