Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 12:28 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,395,681 times

Advertisements

The story you described is an extremely rare occurence, so don't think that events like that would skew the statistics enough for it to matter. In a case such as that one unless it can be proven without a shadow of a doubt that the beating heavily contributed to the stroke then the death should in no way be considered a murder.

However, this hardly matters because these kinds of things hardly ever happen. You're talking about exceptions to rules right now. These things exist for basically everything and in no way do they ever make statistics obsolete.

I bar hop at Uptown a few times a month. The area is congested with people so expect an increase in larcency, etc. Crime has even increased there in the past year, this I will admit. However, to say that the place is equally dangerous to the northside is absolutely ridiculous and I think most people would agree with me there. A bunch of bumbling drunks at 2:30AM does not equal murderers and rapists.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:36 PM

157 posts, read 716,869 times
Uptown reminds me of Victorian London with its contrasting bright lights and dark corners of crime. Just this morning I was talking to a someone about the current purse serial stealer. He will grab a woman's purse and flee. If there's any resistance, he beats the poor woman within an inch of her life. Then my friend remarked that it's around Thanksgiving that all the crime goes up in Uptown and gets worse during Christmas and New Years. Figures it's the rage inside the society's dispossessed. Then someone else at our lovely treat-laden table in the fashionable Uptown McDonald's said he'd expect a Jack the Ripper to appear. Chiling thought. At that point, our waiter came by with some Irish whiskey to go with our coffee topped with whipped cream.

Last edited by Marka; 12-30-2006 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 01-01-2007, 02:03 PM

195 posts, read 1,080,888 times
What is wrong with you people?? Politically, a murder is a murder. if someone dies five months later from an assault, it will be added to the murder stats for that year, thats the way it is. Uptown is safe. Geez what do you want?? It is in an urban area there are a lot of people around, some of them commit crimes. It is not nearly as dangerous as some of you seem to believe. I live there, and if I was to think of it as a dangerous area, most of the poeple that I know would make fun of me for a very long time. Minneapolis itself is not really that dangerous of a city "statisticlly speaking" And saying that statistics don't count is one of the silliest things that I have ever heard. There is no other way to compare crime. Statistics is the way. It's the only legitimate way that we have. Stop spewing your garbage and trying to scare people away from what is one of the nicest cities in the country!!

Old 01-01-2007, 08:48 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,064,606 times
It all depends on who you are and your backround. What's 'safe' for me may be totally different for you. What's 'safe' for a 6'7" 300lb bodybuilder is probably not what's safe for you either. Although none of us can outrun a bullet!

If you're considering these areas mentioned as dangerous, think twice and investigate carefully. There are beautiful homes in NMPLS with character and style. Is it worth it? You have to judge for yourself.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:45 PM

Icy River Vagabond, thanks for restoring the sanity.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I'm planning on relocating to Minneapolis summer 2007 and would like to live in the city. However, I need information on which neighborhoods to avoid due to high crime. Any help is appreciated.
Hey! I live in Brooklyn Center, and have for most of 45 years. I raised my family of 6 here. I attended school here and so have my children. We have a diverse and growing population of families in B.C. Our city has a new Mayor and staff this year. We are undergoing several changes in development as well. All of these are positive changes. I like this city because of the small town feel. We are seperate from Mpls, yet we border the NW side. We have a wonderful Independant school district (K-12) where many open enrollment students attend. Our elementary school building is brand new. We have a wonderful new school superintendant as well.
I recommend this city, its affordable, clean, family oriented and growing. The crime statistics are below-average, I know because I am one of the Neighborhood Watch Group chairpersons. Our Police and Fire Department are well staffed and caring. Come try us out. I think you would be pleasantly surprised.
You asked which areas to avoid, my realitor tells me Fridley, Columbia Heights, Mpls, Camden (No.Mpls), Brooklyn Park.
She recommends, the Anoka area, Maple Grove, St Michael, Brooklyn Center, Champlin and Blaine.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:56 AM

Yeah, your description of Brooklyn Center seems pretty accurate and just what I was trying to explain earlier in this topic. Your realitor sounds like a northern suburbs guru. Maybe she should team up with southern burbs guy Robert P. Stewart to form a realitor duo of epic proportions.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:36 PM

9 posts, read 65,878 times
I had to jump in here.

Some people in the room are not playing with a full deck. Brooklyn Center is well-known to local police as a crime-invested territory. Lots of welfare cases. Beatings.

In another scenario. It's TGIF in Uptown.

It's about time for the fruitcakes, 9 to 5er and under-drinking age teenybopers to hit the bars in the Lake St/Hennepin Avenue area of the Minneapple, known as Uptown. And lurking in the shadows are purse snatchers and other thugs waiting to pounce on drunks, beat them and rob them.

Back to fantasyland.

Figures lie and liars figure as somebody already said someplace here.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:42 PM

9 posts, read 65,878 times
Moderator cut: personal There is a current Kenwood/Lake of the Isles neighborhood newspaper that reports a robber in intent on getting to homes by using an ax if necessary.

Last edited by Marka; 01-07-2007 at 03:00 AM..

Old 01-06-2007, 06:21 PM

195 posts, read 1,080,888 times
Burke, I'm pretty sure your the one in a fantasy world. Brooklyn center dangerous???? hahaha. Compared to what??? Get real!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul