Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 05:04 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I was at the game yesterday sitting 20 rows behind home plate and the building is right behind left field. I could see the crane guy in his cab while 200 ft off the ground. It’s closer then you’d think.
Listen, the building is 600+ feet from home plate. And the first 10 floors won't even have a view. There are 81 games played their per year. Even if someone has a great view of the field, it doesn't make for an amazing baseball viewing experience.

And I work in a tower right by the new construction so, again no, it's not "closer than I'd think". I know exactly where it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2023, 07:59 AM

121 posts, read 96,949 times
Why is it that cities across the country are still building skyscrapers and minneapolis just falls behind. I know a few 300 footers and a 400 ft building are going up. But cities like Seattle, Denver, Austin, Toronto, Dallas and many others keep building. What is it that the IDS has to remain the tallest after 50 years. Oklahoma has a taller building. Time Minneapolis starts going big. Austin Texas has built from no skyline to a skyline bigger than Minneapolis in 10 years.

Old 05-14-2023, 08:20 AM

334 posts, read 181,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progress 1 View Post
Why is it that cities across the country are still building skyscrapers and minneapolis just falls behind. I know a few 300 footers and a 400 ft building are going up. But cities like Seattle, Denver, Austin, Toronto, Dallas and many others keep building. What is it that the IDS has to remain the tallest after 50 years. Oklahoma has a taller building. Time Minneapolis starts going big. Austin Texas has built from no skyline to a skyline bigger than Minneapolis in 10 years.

It's true! It's true!

Not only has Minneapolis not built any building in the last fifty years, but they've lowered the buildings that they decided to keep by an average of 30 feet as well.

Old 05-14-2023, 02:41 PM

121 posts, read 96,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Ford View Post
It's true! It's true!

Not only has Minneapolis not built any building in the last fifty years, but they've lowered the buildings that they decided to keep by an average of 30 feet as well.
Austin Texas 11 buildings under construction over 500 feet. 4 over 700 including one over 1000 feet. Minneapolis seems to be stuck in the 400 range.

Old 05-14-2023, 08:53 PM

367 posts, read 545,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progress 1 View Post
While I like skyscrapers and impressive skylines, I question the need to build them in today’s world as most of them are used for offices/workplaces and with so many people working remotely or in a hybrid format, the need for such physical space has diminished. It seems we can’t fill all of the available space now, so it really doesn’t make sense to keep adding more skyscrapers outside of residential apartments/condos and there can only be so many of those.

Old 05-15-2023, 05:42 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,129,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody2Mn View Post
While I like skyscrapers and impressive skylines, I question the need to build them in today’s world as most of them are used for offices/workplaces and with so many people working remotely or in a hybrid format, the need for such physical space has diminished. It seems we can’t fill all of the available space now, so it really doesn’t make sense to keep adding more skyscrapers outside of residential apartments/condos and there can only be so many of those.
This^^ my neighbor friend works for Wells Fargo and worked from home 95% of the time I’ve known him in last 12 years. Now he’s required to work in office two days a week. Since they have second highest skyscraper downtown that he said has tons of vacant space in it. They decided to close down a building in St Louis Park they were renting, and close down and sell a mortgage building next to 35W. These people were sent to the two places they own downtown or Shoreview. My said friend had an office next to US Bank, but chose to transfer to another building in Shoreview due to parking costs. His boss works in NYC, so he really doesn’t need to be in an office ever outside of his house.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:45 AM

334 posts, read 181,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
This^^ my neighbor friend works for Wells Fargo and worked from home 95% of the time I’ve known him in last 12 years. Now he’s required to work in office two days a week. Since they have second highest skyscraper downtown that he said has tons of vacant space in it. They decided to close down a building in St Louis Park they were renting, and close down and sell a mortgage building next to 35W. These people were sent to the two places they own downtown or Shoreview. My said friend had an office next to US Bank, but chose to transfer to another building in Shoreview due to parking costs. His boss works in NYC, so he really doesn’t need to be in an office ever outside of his house.

Wells never owned the high rise that bears its name and only leases a few floors for meeting space and corporate offices. Hines was the original owner.

Old 08-22-2023, 05:44 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody2Mn View Post
I would rather live in a city that is well planned and livable than one with a over built skyline with wasted space. I don't believe what is happening in Austin is healthy for the area and definitely not serving the people of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul