Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 09:02 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,203 times

Advertisements

Black people are shot by police at a rate 2.5 times higher than whites. And they're less likely than whites to be attacking police at the time they're shot.

"Black individuals shot and killed by police were less likely to have been attacking police officers than the white individuals fatally shot by police, the study found."

It's police bias plain and simple. No more excuses.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...1a3_story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 10:37 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I haven't been pulled over since I was 19 and I'm well past that and I'm aware of it. Common sense tells you he/she is the one with the gun and even if no one had a gun, in these cases this person has the authority and if you want to save yourself from a hassle, just do what's asked and the thing will be over. We should all be aware of what the general climate is out there these days - if you're not, you haven't
been paying attention.
Agreed, however, in this day and age, that is way too logical and normal.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:57 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I almost let you wait - if you are in a high crime area, you are naturally suspect. When that area in known for gun violence you are suspect. Stop all this criminal activity and everyone will live happily ever after. Continue and it will only get worse. I believe this is just old fashioned common sense. Tired of all the excuses.
"Stop all this criminal activity and everyone will live happily ever after"

Who? Who should stop all of this criminal activity? By all accounts the man who was killed was not a criminal.

Oh, do you mean black people? Because some black people are criminals, then any black man driving a car may be executed? Your racism is not even thinly disguised.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Black people are shot by police at a rate 2.5 times higher than whites. And they're less likely than whites to be attacking police at the time they're shot.

"Black individuals shot and killed by police were less likely to have been attacking police officers than the white individuals fatally shot by police, the study found."

It's police bias plain and simple. No more excuses.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...1a3_story.html
What are the crime rate statistics in urban areas involving black perpetrators? Conveniently not mentioned. Groups committing higher rates of crime have higher rates of encounters with the police. Don't tell me these urban criminals aren't armed most of the time.

I've seen the family photo of the man in Louisiana with his kids; now why is a 37 year old ''family man'', armed with a gun according to the homeless man making the 911 call on his Obama Phone, loitering outside some kind of run down store at 12:35 am in the middle of the week?

Btw, have you seen this Alton Sterling's rap sheet? Everything from carnal knowledge of a juvenile, domestic battery, weapons possession/selling drugs, resisting arrest including getting physical with cops...46 pages in the public records worth of this guy's dangerous activities.

At a minimum, the media needs to refrain from the manipulating the ''family man'' b.s. and the Gov of Minnesota needs to let the investigation proceed before making inflammatory comments, there's enough of those coming out of the South Side Chicago House in Washington DC.

Last edited by Kamms; 07-08-2016 at 11:22 AM..

Old 07-08-2016, 02:59 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,822 times
They went over the guys rap sheet on Channel 9 this morning. had like 40 encounters with the local cops, nothing violent, no family dispute calls just lots of BS traffic stops resulting in only had a few misdemeanor convictions... The Falcon Heights cops profile like no one else ....

Old 07-08-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
They went over the guys rap sheet on Channel 9 this morning. had like 40 encounters with the local cops, nothing violent, no family dispute calls just lots of BS traffic stops resulting in only had a few misdemeanor convictions... The Falcon Heights cops profile like no one else ....
They guy in Minnesota maybe; the guy in Louisiana was nothing short of the classic street thug (a 37 year old man).

Old 07-08-2016, 03:57 PM

150 posts, read 143,784 times
Quote:
There is no actually no police department (PD) like that, it is the Saint Paul PD and I do not think it is fair to judge the whole PD just based on this incident. For example, the same channel 9 (Fox 9 Minneapolis) is right now reporting about the tragic homicide of a 2 year old child and an injured toddler in North Minneapolis. It would equally not be fair to pass judgment on everyone living in North Minneapolis just based on this tragic violence.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:31 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googol View Post
There is no actually no police department (PD) like that, it is the Saint Paul PD and I do not think it is fair to judge the whole PD just based on this incident. For example, the same channel 9 (Fox 9 Minneapolis) is right now reporting about the tragic homicide of a 2 year old child and an injured toddler in North Minneapolis. It would equally not be fair to pass judgment on everyone living in North Minneapolis just based on this tragic violence.

They actually use the ST Anthony cops to do the policing.. I avoid the TC's in general, the place is getting as bad a Chicago a flippin war zone....

Old 07-08-2016, 08:05 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,194 times
Quote:
They actually use the ST Anthony cops to do the policing.. I avoid the TC's in general, the place is getting as bad a Chicago a flippin war zone....
Lol. True small minded fear mongering. The TCs aren't a war zone. Nothing like Chicago. If you can't handle this metro there are only a few I'd even recommend you visit. This area outside of very specific pockets is shockingly safe.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:20 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
This quote from an article in "The Wire" helps me to understand why this is happening. "Blacks are more likely to kill cops than be killed by cops. This is according to FBI data, which also found that 40 percent of cop killers are black. According to MacDonald, the police officer is 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black than a cop killing an unarmed black person."

The article also mentions that more Whites and Hispanics are killed by police than are Black people. So, perspective.
I have a friend who is white, had no prior criminal record, was unarmed and was tasered and beaten to death by about 8 cops. Someone called because he was acting out in front of his house and walking in the street in front of cars. That is all he did, and yes he did resist arrest. All cops were white. There was some cell phone video footage and it captured the audio. There was never an investigation despite pleading by family members. If he were black there would have been riots in the streets and a huge massive investigation & media frenzy. There will NEVER be a media frenzy if a white cop kills a white man, a asian cop kills a hispanic man, a hispanic cop kills an asian man, an asian cop kills a white man, a black cop kills a white man, or a black cop kills a black man. There will ONLY be a media frenzy if a white cop kills a black man (maybe if a hispanic cop kills a black man and happens to look more white then hispanic, or maybe if an asian cop kills a black man).

Just sayin'.

Yes of course this MN cop should be absolutely punished to the letter of the law if courts determine what he did was wrong. But it only becomes a media frenzy when it is a white cop shooting a black male.

If I was white and a cop you couldn't pay me millions to be a cop in an area with a large black community. No way I would want that no win proposition job. I can't believe anyone signs up for that anymore. One wrong move in the heat of the moment and your life is over and you are in the center of a national media frenzy (lets remember that a federal jury headed by a black US attorney general acquitted the cop in Ferguson after his life was ruined). If I was a white cop I would move to Iowa or Idaho or something like tha with no large black communities, at least then if I made a mistake under pressure and killed a white man there would be no media frenzy at all.

This doesn't mean I don't think there can't be major changes in the way police handle conflicts. But these cops are also put on the street to face the dregs of society everyday in the most violent and heavily armed developed country in the world. There are a ton of cops killed and maimed every year (and a large % by black men), I would be on edge too.

And don't forget the stats. Black men are around 6% of the U.S. population and commit close to 50% of all murders and a similar disproportionate % of violent crimes. Does that mean black men should be profiled and treated any different? Does that make it OK when innocent black men face police brutality? Absolutely not, they should be treated exactly like everyone else. But there are in general a higher number of confrontations between cops and black males because of the hard statistics of their higher rates of violent crime. Of course I do know in this case the MN case the man shot was not a criminal or committing a crime.

Last edited by ctr88; 07-08-2016 at 09:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul