Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 08:24 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I expect these statistics are pretty similar in most states with comparable stable economies. Young people are the most mobile, leaving home for college, the military, or just to leave home. By the time people reach their mid-30s or so they are much more likely to be settled in career-track jobs and have families which makes any kind of relocation so much more complicated. It's one thing to pack up the the truck of your car when you are 22, another thing entirely when you are 35, married to a working spouse, have a house and 2 kids in school. People just get settled and stuck in their live and learn to make the best of whatever their local situations are. I don't think Minnesotans are anything unique.

Those who do relocate from state to state in mid-career tend to be higher-level executive types who get transferred from one office to another for whatever corporate reason. These types are actually a very tiny fraction of the overall population. Companies don't bother doing that with lower level employees who are more replaceable and disposable.

The exceptions would be those states that are bleeding population because their economies are in shambles, like for example West Virginia, or those that are the middle of booms like Wyoming and North Dakota.
well i just wanted to challenge the narrative that "most people come back."
most people do not come back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 03:59 PM

77 posts, read 94,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
well i just wanted to challenge the narrative that "most people come back."
most people do not come back
I'll come back to visit...in the summertime...maybe.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:13 AM

776 posts, read 1,062,619 times
I think for me personally, it hit the direct effect of the weather but the indirect effect, things like dangerous roads, being stuck in ditches, scraping windshields, having to wear so many layers, having cold feet all day, snot freezing. Those kinds of things coupled with the farm country feel of MN in general. I realize that Minneapolis is a pretty metro and has its beauty. I also know that parts of northern Mn are beautiful, but we don't live and work in those parts so our commutes or travels usually involve souther MN (which is beautiful in spots) or outside the metro where it is very vacant....

I'm not naive to the lands that surround MSP, I did grow up there and no one can tell me that it's not flat and ugly all over.

I tell my wife every day, if I didn't have family and friends there.... I would never consider moving there. Especially as an outsider coming in. All that talk about people not accepting newbies is true. I'm not saying that people in MN aren't nice and welcoming. I'm saying that there are limitations. People will generally go out of the way to see that a newcomer feels safe and welcome, but don't expect a real friendship to develop. Most people in Mn already have tight circles and don't find the need to add more to it.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:16 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,707,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
I think for me personally, it hit the direct effect of the weather but the indirect effect, things like dangerous roads, being stuck in ditches, scraping windshields, having to wear so many layers, having cold feet all day, snot freezing. Those kinds of things coupled with the farm country feel of MN in general. I realize that Minneapolis is a pretty metro and has its beauty. I also know that parts of northern Mn are beautiful, but we don't live and work in those parts so our commutes or travels usually involve souther MN (which is beautiful in spots) or outside the metro where it is very vacant....

I'm not naive to the lands that surround MSP, I did grow up there and no one can tell me that it's not flat and ugly all over.

I tell my wife every day, if I didn't have family and friends there.... I would never consider moving there. Especially as an outsider coming in. All that talk about people not accepting newbies is true. I'm not saying that people in MN aren't nice and welcoming. I'm saying that there are limitations. People will generally go out of the way to see that a newcomer feels safe and welcome, but don't expect a real friendship to develop. Most people in Mn already have tight circles and don't find the need to add more to it.
It sounds like you made the right choice and should stay where you are. Your friends and family aren't going to want to listen to your carping on how awful it is here. Do yourself a favor and stay put.

Last edited by Glenfield; 03-26-2015 at 07:47 AM..

Old 03-26-2015, 04:36 PM

290 posts, read 547,449 times
Here's the deal, I personally think Minneapolis is more intriguing to move back to if you are a city person vs. the suburbs. The city is definitely where a lot is going on and it's easier to break into social circles and meet people. When you have sidewalks and homes close together, it's only natural that you are going to stop to talk to neighbors while you are out in the front yard gardening and people are walking by on their way to dinner. People are there in the city because they like to be social and interact. That's not always the case in the suburbs where one of the reasons people are there is for the peace and quiet. Especially for a population known for their introvert tendencies.

I also think Minneapolis is so intriguing now because of all the changes they have happened in the past 15 years or so. It's nowhere near as tired as it was. So many restaurants, bars, apartments, theaters, patio dining, you name it. Northeast is hopping with so many things going on. Target Field is an awesome experience. Soon we'll have a great park by the football stadium -- which has really been a very, very tired, neglected area. Nicollet Mall is getting ready for a makeover with improvement that extend all the way to the river.

My point is, if I was more suburban and wasn't into Minnesotan things like the outdoor amenities (fishing, state parks, canoeing, boating, etc) and wasn't into the arts scene, I can see why you wouldn't move back. Many of the suburbs are kind of isolating and if your life consists of going to work and driving home, yes, MN probably isn't the best place for you. Most people who want to move back can imagine the kind of life they would lead there with ease. Gathering with family, nights downtown, bike rides around the lakes, boat rides on Minnetonka, weekend trips up to Duluth, State Park visits, campfires, road trips all over, State Fair. If you can't even look forward to the things in MN that you don't experience now, then I'd say that you should not move back. I think you are either Minnesotan or you're not and it sounds like you may not be.

As for the winters, they really are not as bad as you are making them out to be. You might be making them worse in your head than they actually are. And hey, things have improved since you were last there too. A good jacket makes the world of difference and there are some pretty warm ones now. Heated seats. Remote start. 3-gar garages almost standard in the suburbs now.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:58 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
Here's the deal, I personally think Minneapolis is more intriguing to move back to if you are a city person vs. the suburbs. The city is definitely where a lot is going on and it's easier to break into social circles and meet people. When you have sidewalks and homes close together, it's only natural that you are going to stop to talk to neighbors while you are out in the front yard gardening and people are walking by on their way to dinner. People are there in the city because they like to be social and interact. That's not always the case in the suburbs where one of the reasons people are there is for the peace and quiet. Especially for a population known for their introvert tendencies.

I also think Minneapolis is so intriguing now because of all the changes they have happened in the past 15 years or so. It's nowhere near as tired as it was. So many restaurants, bars, apartments, theaters, patio dining, you name it. Northeast is hopping with so many things going on. Target Field is an awesome experience. Soon we'll have a great park by the football stadium -- which has really been a very, very tired, neglected area. Nicollet Mall is getting ready for a makeover with improvement that extend all the way to the river.

My point is, if I was more suburban and wasn't into Minnesotan things like the outdoor amenities (fishing, state parks, canoeing, boating, etc) and wasn't into the arts scene, I can see why you wouldn't move back. Many of the suburbs are kind of isolating and if your life consists of going to work and driving home, yes, MN probably isn't the best place for you. Most people who want to move back can imagine the kind of life they would lead there with ease. Gathering with family, nights downtown, bike rides around the lakes, boat rides on Minnetonka, weekend trips up to Duluth, State Park visits, campfires, road trips all over, State Fair. If you can't even look forward to the things in MN that you don't experience now, then I'd say that you should not move back. I think you are either Minnesotan or you're not and it sounds like you may not be.

As for the winters, they really are not as bad as you are making them out to be. You might be making them worse in your head than they actually are. And hey, things have improved since you were last there too. A good jacket makes the world of difference and there are some pretty warm ones now. Heated seats. Remote start. 3-gar garages almost standard in the suburbs now.
dont feel like googling but what changing are nicollet mall going through? i know i cant compare minneapolis to huge cities like philly or chicago. but the one thing i hate is that when i think of downtown, i think of excitement 7 days a week. the only time downtown minneapolis is popping is friday and saturday. weekends are awesome in minnesota. ITS THE WEEKDAYS THAT ARE A DRAG. also i hate that the fact that there's no retail shopping downtown. every downtown has retail. what are my choices downtown for clothes? macys? saks?

Old 03-26-2015, 05:15 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,345 times
Downtown is also only popping on friday and saturday night

During the day on Saturday, downtown is empty.

It's not worth comparing Minneapolis to NYC or Chicago, but an apt comparison would be MPLS Downtown and North Loop with Portland's downtown and Pearl district. Unfortunately it falls far short of what Portland has to offer.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:21 PM

776 posts, read 1,062,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post

Yeah I have to disagree with some of this as well.
It reminds of of my talks I have with my mother a few times a week. Nothing is that bad. Give me a break. I still go to MN a few times a year and at least two of those trips ar din the winter. And it is always THAT BAD. ALWAYS 20 or colder with cold winds, always icy, always takes me forever to warm up. No will will ever convince me that the winters in MN aren't "that bad" nor should anyone try to mislead others of that. I remember a couple of winters ago I was back and when I was getting into my rides car with metal door handles, my hands literally stuck to them and tore off little bits of skin. It was 38 below zero, but I guess hats not that bad. And it only lasted for the entire 11 days I was there and beyond that... But that's not that bad. I remember when the roof of the metronome collapsed from the snow, but that probably wasn't that much snow... I mean the do,e had only been there for 30 years prior with no problems, I think the weather there is getting progessivly worse. Each year it seems to get colder and it see,s to stay longer.

Sorry, I'm not here to debate that, but it does irritate me when people say winters in MN aren't that bad. I still very well in tune to what's going on there. All my family is still there, I have dozens of friends there and communicate with all of them offer. I also still read the news online, listen to the local radio station online, and come visit often. Do get me wrong, Minneapolis has its perks. All of which you listed are good points. And can be lots of fun. But again, this wasn't a debate post about should vespers us shouldn't. This was an inquiry as to what reasons are driving people out.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:50 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
winters in Minnesota aren't bad...if you're not a wussy

Old 03-26-2015, 05:58 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Downtown is also only popping on friday and saturday night

During the day on Saturday, downtown is empty.

It's not worth comparing Minneapolis to NYC or Chicago, but an apt comparison would be MPLS Downtown and North Loop with Portland's downtown and Pearl district. Unfortunately it falls far short of what Portland has to offer.
your right. i remember driving downtown and it was great. the traffic. the people. the city lights. it was what a downtown should be. too bad its only on fri and sat night. another i hate about downtown. YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR PARKING. when i lived in philly i could always find a little side street to park my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul