Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 07:47 AM

73,188 posts, read 62,892,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I don't know that 'diversity' in common parlance is necessarily a good thing. People want to live with/near others who are like them. That isn't racism; it's human nature.

Some friends and I had a discussion about this one night. I suggested that non-citizens (e.g., Somalis) should be held to a much higher standard when it comes to crime. There was a story in the news a couple months ago...a U of M student got mugged/robbed in Stadium Village by a Somali man. If he's not a US citizen, I think he should be instantly deported. I don't think this country needs more people (of any race), especially those who commit violent crime.

One friend completely disagreed and felt sorry for the Somali guy. Another friend was ambivalent.
I say hold everyone to the same standard. What if that person had been an American mugger? Hold every criminal to the same standard. You probably don't know whether or not he is a citizen.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:28 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 1,002,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I say hold everyone to the same standard. What if that person had been an American mugger? Hold every criminal to the same standard. You probably don't know whether or not he is a citizen.
If he is a citizen, then he is an American no different than you or I. In that case, prison.

If he isn't a citizen, then he is a 'visitor' and if he cannot show respect for basic human civility, he deported.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
If he is a citizen, then he is an American no different than you or I. In that case, prison.

If he isn't a citizen, then he is a 'visitor' and if he cannot show respect for basic human civility, he deported.
I am going to be honest and I think alot of people would agree. There aree good people in every ethnic group. There are bad people in every ethnic group. There is a sense for the different people to want to be around their own ethnicity and when one sees another person of a different ethnic group act in a way that is considered unpleasant, it is sadly natural to stereotype. The bad in any group tends to stand out. This goes for everyone. I am all for people of different ethnicities living next door to one another side by side getting along with each other. However, those persons have to "want" it too. They have to want to do. They don't have to, but in order for good things to happen, everyone has to want it to happen. Unfortunately, human nature gets in the way. It is part of human nature for a person to want to be around people that look like him/her.
As for a visitor, I don't like the idea of deporting someone who has committed a crime because he or she woudn't face charges in his/her own nation. I would rather see the person jailed, then deported, not deportation on sight. Have the person serve the jail sentence like anyone else would and then deport the person. If that is how it works, then perhaps we see eye to eye. If not, then , good luck.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:23 PM

232 posts, read 738,004 times
Over the past 10 years Duluth has now seen the trickle-down influx of poor blacks who can now no longer afford Minneapolis, Chicago, Kansas City, etc...while Duluth is a great city and has become more diverse, I don't think our current diversity is what most residents had in mind. I hate to say it, but the majority of our new diversity influx are black males with lengthy criminal records fleeing Illinois' three-strikes law; coming here to find a naive white woman to live off of. I see it every single day here. That kind of diversity is not what makes this state great or enjoyable. It only shifts a new class of predators from one huge city (that brags about how much crime has dropped) only to move them to Duluth, which basically is now a destination for people who have no money, no education and no intentions of ever working besides working the Saint Louis County (Duluth) social service system. Anyone who goes past the Greyhound station in West Duluth knows exactly what I'm talking about.

In my mind diversity encompasses all skin colors, gay and lesbian people, people with disabilities, people with different life experiences and who have lived in different parts of the world coming together to contribute to society. In an idealistic society this would be great. Unfortunately, when you have a city that still has one-bedroom apartments going for $475 a month, social service agencies that will hand out free bus passes and free YMCA memberships, you are going to get people who have lived for generations off of other people. In most big cities today, that is no longer an option. The wait for government housing in Minneapolis is around five years. In Duluth there is no wait. And again, the atmosphere in Duluth in 1996 was still quite homophobic and or directly racist, so people who were educated, professional, and interested in working here didn't want to come here. If you are one of only five black (or gay, or hispanic, or whatever) professionals here, who are you going to talk to when you need an understanding ear? Who are you going to date? These are important things to consider when thinking about diversity. Predators do not think like this - they instead wonder - what city can I go to where i can scam the most people, find some easy woman to live off of, and get away with the most heinous livability crimes? Unfortunately, a lot of 'lost causes' from other cities have made their way via the Greyhound to Duluth. And no, this diversity has done absolutely nothing to improve the quality of life here. Instead, educated professionals who have money are leaving, while people with nothing are coming here every week.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:12 PM

18 posts, read 62,971 times
Default Minnesota as Culture

Having been born and raised in a rough neighborhood of one of those 10 most dangerous cities, I can tell you that it would take a LOT more than money to solve the problems there.
I could not agree with you more in defining the actual problem. I live here in the North Mpls "hood" and I know there is no real understanding amongst the youth of right and wrong. We have been robbed over 20 times and the perception I know is that because we have it they can take it (ie. the law of the jungle).

Since my family homesteaded in Minnesota between 1840 and 1870 I think I must say you somewhat misjudge the Minnesota character. Historically Al Capone tried to move into Minneapolis in the 1940's and was run out by Hubert Humphrey who was then the mayor.

We now see the streets of North getting cleaned up in the last 2 years by Chief Dolan who grew up on the North Side. Three years ago prostitutes and drug dealers and multiple youth gangs lined the streets everywhere. At least now they are more undercover and shoot the innocent with less frequency.

In other words, yes we can turn the other cheek in my state but we also tote guns and are noted for all the wilderness and hunting that exists here. If we don't have a violent history maybe it is just because we do use law and order in this state. My 83 year old Mother and myself ran 3 gangs offf our street with the hel[p of the police. Yes it took courage and yes we were repeatedly robbed and threatened by the kids who knew no better but would it be better to live in a place were violence has prevailed for decades?

Maybe we have a unique culture but I feel the time for naivete about the problem has long passed. As you said "Old habits die hard" but the optimist in me who has lived a long life in this state knows that here in Minnesota, yes those habits can die.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth07 View Post
Over the past 10 years Duluth has now seen the trickle-down influx of poor blacks who can now no longer afford Minneapolis, Chicago, Kansas City, etc...while Duluth is a great city and has become more diverse, I don't think our current diversity is what most residents had in mind. I hate to say it, but the majority of our new diversity influx are black males with lengthy criminal records fleeing Illinois' three-strikes law; coming here to find a naive white woman to live off of. I see it every single day here. That kind of diversity is not what makes this state great or enjoyable. It only shifts a new class of predators from one huge city (that brags about how much crime has dropped) only to move them to Duluth, which basically is now a destination for people who have no money, no education and no intentions of ever working besides working the Saint Louis County (Duluth) social service system. Anyone who goes past the Greyhound station in West Duluth knows exactly what I'm talking about.

In my mind diversity encompasses all skin colors, gay and lesbian people, people with disabilities, people with different life experiences and who have lived in different parts of the world coming together to contribute to society. In an idealistic society this would be great. Unfortunately, when you have a city that still has one-bedroom apartments going for $475 a month, social service agencies that will hand out free bus passes and free YMCA memberships, you are going to get people who have lived for generations off of other people. In most big cities today, that is no longer an option. The wait for government housing in Minneapolis is around five years. In Duluth there is no wait. And again, the atmosphere in Duluth in 1996 was still quite homophobic and or directly racist, so people who were educated, professional, and interested in working here didn't want to come here. If you are one of only five black (or gay, or hispanic, or whatever) professionals here, who are you going to talk to when you need an understanding ear? Who are you going to date? These are important things to consider when thinking about diversity. Predators do not think like this - they instead wonder - what city can I go to where i can scam the most people, find some easy woman to live off of, and get away with the most heinous livability crimes? Unfortunately, a lot of 'lost causes' from other cities have made their way via the Greyhound to Duluth. And no, this diversity has done absolutely nothing to improve the quality of life here. Instead, educated professionals who have money are leaving, while people with nothing are coming here every week.

Wow. Sounds like something I might say. I see your point about Duluth. I live in the metro Atlanta area and there are alot of blacks coming from places like Chicago, New York, and Detroit coming to Atlanta for professional jobs, to retire, or to get bigger and better homes. Duluth,MN in the eyes of most proffesional blacks couldn't hold a candle to Atlanta(or Duluth,GA for that matter). Atlanta is like the new gathering place if your black and professional. I am finding it very overrated for any reason simply because I've spent half of my childhood in metro Atlanta. Back to Duluth. Duluth doesn't have alot of jobs anyone is looking for. I do agree when there is a population of people who are fleeing the law,or restricted welfare to a place where things are more lenient, anything can happen. While some people do actually get back on their feet and do better in MPLS, the most visible groups of people are the ones who are on welfare. (I wonder if I'll get mistaken for a welfare seeker if I am black and ever take a trip to Duluth,hope not.).
Minneapolis, on the other hand, has jobs and plenty of opportunities for anyone who is willing to work. There is even an article on MPR about it giving all sides of the story. I am strongly considering moving to the Twin Cities area myself after college(as well as other places).
As for ethnic diversity, if educated people of diverse backgrounds went to Duluth, then the quality of life wouldn't come down. Sadly, there isn't alot of anything to attract proffessionals(of any ethnicity) to Duluth due to the economy.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:40 PM

54 posts, read 278,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
The media in Minneapolis is always hyping the expanding ethnic diversity of Minnesota. Maybe without meaning to the also denegrade the previous white Scandinavian and German influenced culture of the Twin Cities Metro Area. I see articles all the time in the newspaper and stories on the TV News telling us that Minnesota is now so ethnically diverse and how wonderful this is in comparison to the old days (15 years ago back) when the average Minnesotan was from Scandinavian or German backgrounds.

Was Minnesota actually that bad just a few years ago when it was 95% white? Has the ethnic diversity actually made things so much better?

(As a ethnic minority myself and a long term Minnesota resident, I have no strong opinion my self but wonder if we could discuss it without any racism or political correctness)
mn is still like 92% white, minneapolis is a little more diverse, and per capita its not that bad in regards to crime for big cities, but anything outside of minneapolis is basically just racist, its veiled, but listen to 100.3 and hear what they have to say

Old 01-19-2008, 02:57 PM

116 posts, read 449,258 times
I love that there is more diversity. I wouldn't want to raise my children in an area where there are only one type of culture.
I think this is making Minnesota a better place to live. I have lived here 18 years (came from California), and love the changes here.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:05 PM

11 posts, read 38,431 times
Something is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay wrong in downtown Minneapolis. Block E is a gigantic police call, just like was when there was the Rand Hotel, that turkey-is-king cafe, where you could get a whole turkey dinner really cheap; Shinders with its great card collections, Moby Dicks bar and the other bars, Rifle Sport. In fact it had MORE business from regular folks slumming, the decadents and tourists. So the cops were always there. They're always at the new Block E. Before--making money. After--losing money.

Add to that the big Borders on the corner is closing. It's a disaster area. NO AMOUNT OF MONEY WILL SAVE IT. It will take two things that the Downtown Chamber of Commerce doesn't have--intelligence and innovation.

Mature people don't talk about "going downtown" to a night out any more. If they want a night out, they can park their car for FREE, not have it broken into or stolen and can find it easily by going to a cafe in the burbs.

The only other night life destination in Minneapolis is UPTOWN. But you'd be going there to get drunk or go to a movie show or comedy club and then get drunk.

Downtown and Uptown "WERE" places to go up until around 1985, when the greedy landowners wanted more rent money.

You want to see a great downtown Minneapolis, go look at a photo book of downtown in the 50s! Fabulous!

Old 01-20-2008, 03:23 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,579,870 times
First, the Borders is closing because Barnes and Noble has a much better location on Nicollet and B&N is a much more competitive company. Nobody went to Block E for books, they made a bad move going into that location ten years ago. It isn't downtown's fault.
Second, Block E is an exception to Downtown. Nicollet is still pretty strong, there is continual development throughout the area. There are a plethora of new hotels, resturants, bars and other places that have opened. The city's theaters are all still there. Obviously, there is enough people who could care less about free parking to support these places.
Parking is free if you patronize a store that will validate parking, and there isn't a big problem with cars being broken into. Go spend $20 at Target, you can sit your car in a ramp all night.
Downtown is where most of the activity is in the metropolitan area. If you think going to The Galleria is a night on the town, you are very "mature" and your night will end after an 8:00 movie.
Minneapolis did have a much more dense downtown in the 50s', but everyone destroyed that so they could have free parking. You can't have it both ways. In the 50s'; skid row went most of the way along Hennepin. The buildings were still there, just nobody in them sober.
I don't know why you seem nostalgic for the mid-eighties. Most of downtown then looked like Block E now. That was rock bottom, the crime rate was much worse. Most of the department stores were a year or two from closing. Borders would have been the least of their problems.
I won't defend Block E. On the whole, though, downtown is about as good now than it has been in 50 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul