Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 09:28 PM

140 posts, read 218,429 times

Advertisements

Cute car! Love to drive a Honda Fit. But the big question I have is does Honda Fit do well with our winter roads. Owners of Honda Fit, what's your experience?

This includes navigating snow-covered roads, slippery conditions, accelerating in snow, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 05:01 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbylake View Post
Cute car! Love to drive a Honda Fit. But the big question I have is does Honda Fit do well with our winter roads. Owners of Honda Fit, what's your experience?

This includes navigating snow-covered roads, slippery conditions, accelerating in snow, etc.
Honda's get great gas mileage partially because they are close to the ground. The fit is exceptional close. Cars don't do well in the snow if they are pushing snow. You will be fine most of the winter days because MN DOT does an exceptional job of plowing. Not so well in parking lots and some off roads.

With a shorter wheel base, you get the less body flex. Less body flex isn't a problem but it usually means it's rough with our terrible roads roads. The sporty better looking model may also have stiffer suspension which isn't ideal with our pothole roads.

Next up, I like my odds in a bigger car JUST in case I get into an accident. Body shops patiently wait for some blizzards for a spike in business (they really do). If everyone drove a Fit, then you are in good shape. Look around you. 50% of MN vehicles are trucks and SUV's. K.E.= 1/2m*V^2. M (mass) in the formula for kinetic energy is important. Because there are so many big trucks on the road, I want some more metal around me because 50% of the accidents you get into will be a big vehicle. So it depends how good of a driver you are. I have been driving for 32 years and I have never gotten into an accident with another car (backed into a pole though). But I also drive a 4 wheel drive during the winter. I pass by a lot of people in the ditch when the storms hit.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:36 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
MNDOT might do ok with the highways but city streets have been awful this year.
Personally, I do not like driving compact cars like the FIT here in the winter.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:55 AM

91 posts, read 268,949 times
I have had one here for 6 years. The stock tires were horrible in winter. The newer models may be better. I got a good set of winter tires and dont have problems getting around. I see them all over the metro even in winter so I dont really think it is a big issue.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:06 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
Snow tires really help on all drive trains. They are not popular in Minnesota, probably because they are expensive and not strictly necessary, but they really are night and day, even compared to all weather tires.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:12 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Snow tires really help on all drive trains. They are not popular in Minnesota, probably because they are expensive and not strictly necessary, but they really are night and day, even compared to all weather tires.
+1. But you really need to see how low the Fit's clearance is. It's not like most cars.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:12 AM

906 posts, read 1,767,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
+2

You can drive any car in winter here as long as you have good winter tires. AWD/4WD will only help you get going from a full stop, but its the tires that improve your handling around curves/turns and improve stopping on snow and ice.

I keep a dedicated set of wheels with winter tires. The shop where I bought my winter tire set stores the wheels for free.

A Honda Fit would be perfectly fine on our roads with good winter tires.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
+1. But you really need to see how low the Fit's clearance is. It's not like most cars.
Thats true, the Fit is low, but most of the time you'd be driving on main roads that are at least partially plowed. While the city streets in both cities were terrible the last couple weeks, it wasn't because of unplowed snow. It was the ice pack and ruts that follow it.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:34 PM

651 posts, read 862,940 times
Honda fit will easily handle the snow in MN. I drove an Aveo there for 5 years, 1 year on bald tires, and easily survived an entire winter. Learn how to keep momentum and not stop, steer out of problems (don't hit brake), and be a defensive driver, even if you have the green, do the two way look before going.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
I drove an Aveo there for 5 years, 1 year on bald tires, and easily survived an entire winter. Learn how to keep momentum and not stop, steer out of problems (don't hit brake), and be a defensive driver, even if you have the green, do the two way look before going.
This is fine advise as long as you stay away from me (or any other people who drive with children in their car). Good lord. I can deal with people driving on AT tires in winter, but knowingly driving with bad tires with no tread in winter is negligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul