Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 11:26 AM

9,858 posts, read 11,254,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
You're arguing apples and oranges. Of course your RWD Mustang was crap in the snow. I doubt you could climb a 1-degree incline with that thing. (Those cars are generally NOT on the road during snowstorms. I too once had the pleasure of pushing a Mustang thru snow, about two miles in fact, it was so helpless).
I'm simply taking it to the extreme. I factually drove that Mustang with stock tires in the winter with limited slip differential. I had a 1985 Mustang GT and then a 1987 Mustang GT. I drove it 4 years in total. The 85 was automatic and the 87 was a stick.

My point is there are different degrees of ease of going though the snow and safety. I propose I'm less safe with that Mustang GT even though I never got in an accident. A front wheel drive is better. A front wheel drive with more clearance better yet etc etc etc. My AWD is incredible though the snow and closer to the top of the food chain. I LOVE it. As I said earlier, you don't miss what what you have never experienced. For me, I won't go back to a FWD with low clearance. Other's will still drive a RWD Mustang GT and not complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I used to drive a RWD truck. They are the worst in winter. I've read plenty of car nonsense on this thread. I don't think I need to google for more.
So let me ask you a hypothetical question. It's snowing out and there is a couple inches are on the ground right now. We might get a couple more inches. The plows are out but it's blowing hard and parts of the highways will fill in with snow quickly because of the wind. You have a Honda Fit parked out front with 40 MPH and an AWD Acura SUV that adjusts automatically to changing road conditions.

Which one are you going to drive? That's what I thought.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:38 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,053,325 times
I would drive the Honda Fit. I'm going to go walk past my Forester and take the BRZ out to go buy booze for NYE, just so I can brag about living dangerously on City Data.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:40 AM

651 posts, read 866,226 times
Quote:
I used to drive a RWD truck. They are the worst in winter. I've read plenty of car nonsense on this thread. I don't think I need to google for more.
What is even better are the old Cutlass Supreme's from the 70's.

haha

Old 12-31-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I would drive the Honda Fit
Ah.. You like a challenge. I'll blow a few $$'s on gas and take the Acura.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I would drive the Honda Fit. I'm going to go walk past my Forester and take the BRZ out to go buy booze for NYE, just so I can brag about living dangerously on City Data.
Then let's agree on something. The BRZ is a sweet looking car.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:59 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,753,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbylake View Post
Cute car! Love to drive a Honda Fit. But the big question I have is does Honda Fit do well with our winter roads. Owners of Honda Fit, what's your experience?

This includes navigating snow-covered roads, slippery conditions, accelerating in snow, etc.
So far, I don't think we've heard from one person who's actually driven a Fit in the winter, and that includes me.

Most of this has focused on the adequacy of FWD vs. the superiority of AWD and 4WD in snow. I'll acknowledge that FWD can be adequate but don't see that as a reason to not drive AWD or 4WD. My grand dad's RWD 58 Olds was adequate, but I don't think I'd drive it in the winter now unless I absolutely had no choice. Not sure why the FWD fans begrudge the AWD fans their choice.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
So far, I don't think we've heard from one person who's actually driven a Fit in the winter, and that includes me.

Most of this has focused on the adequacy of FWD vs. the superiority of AWD and 4WD in snow. I'll acknowledge that FWD can be adequate but don't see that as a reason to not drive AWD or 4WD. My grand dad's RWD 58 Olds was adequate, but I don't think I'd drive it in the winter now unless I absolutely had no choice. Not sure why the FWD fans begrudge the AWD fans their choice.
Because they don't know what they are missing and all they know is they they get from point A to point B. Since an AWD also gets from point A to point B, they assume it is a tie.

I don't need a dish washer either. But I'd never own a home without it. I'll never go without a smart phone, airplay, and all kinds of "unnecessary" conveniences and advantages as well. So for me, a Fit won't cut it in the winter. I'm 6'2", 235 pounds. I'm not going to stuff myself in that car in the summer time and surely not in the winter.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:45 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,753,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Because they don't know what they are missing and all they know is they they get from point A to point B. Since an AWD also gets from point A to point B, they assume it is a tie.

I don't need a dish washer either. But I'd never own a home without it. I'll never go without a smart phone, airplay, and all kinds of "unnecessary" conveniences and advantages as well. So for me, a Fit won't cut it in the winter. I'm 6'2", 235 pounds. I'm not going to stuff myself in that car in the summer time and surely not in the winter.
All that and the debate mentality that is so pervasive on this site presupposes a right and wrong position.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:10 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,179,365 times
Strictly a FWD driver now for 360+ days of the year and have the 4X4 truck as the relief pitcher when needed.

Years ago I had a '77 Camaro that I drove up once through Iowa and Minnesota progressively through first rain, then sleet, then snow and finally a blizzard as I drove the last way in from Albert Lea to Bloomington with another white-knuckler riding as my wing man behind me those last 100 miles at about 25 mph. Things got a bit squirrely once when we went over an overpass and you dared not stop or you wouldn't get going again but that low riding RWD car carried on like a MNDOT plow in all but the very worst conditions for the most part.

Of course, I'm an excellent driver...but not on Monday, definitely not on Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul