Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 08:54 PM

140 posts, read 218,849 times

Advertisements

I have always been curious why Americans talk about their "vacation home" in a different place where they vacation "every winter" or "every summer." In Minnesota, people talk about their vacation home up north and in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area.

I enjoy travel more than vacations. Instead of "vacate," I fill my travels with adventurous activities, cultural exploration, architectural beauty, and food. To me, visiting the same place for a second time loses that initial excitement. Of course I have my favorite places I don't mind returning anytime. But I'd like to make a conscious effort in seeing a variety of places, new places, in the U.S. and around the world.

Why would I return to the same vacation home each time, when there is so much out there that I haven't seen and experienced yet? I would rather rent a condo each time and explore a new area. Or perhaps go deep into Peru, Mexico, Costa Rica, or Southeast Asia. Constant change of scenery, a sense of remoteness, and unfamiliarity. I love coming back home with a sense of achievement.

A vacation home/cabin seems dull and un-creative. Minnesotans seem very backward and provincial.

What's your opinions?

Old 11-29-2013, 09:04 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,111,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbylake View Post
I have always been curious why Americans talk about their "vacation home" in a different place where they vacation "every winter" or "every summer." In Minnesota, people talk about their vacation home up north and in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area.

I enjoy travel more than vacations. Instead of "vacate," I fill my travels with adventurous activities, cultural exploration, architectural beauty, and food. To me, visiting the same place for a second time loses that initial excitement. Of course I have my favorite places I don't mind returning anytime. But I'd like to make a conscious effort in seeing a variety of places, new places, in the U.S. and around the world.

Why would I return to the same vacation home each time, when there is so much out there that I haven't seen and experienced yet? I would rather rent a condo each time and explore a new area. Or perhaps go deep into Peru, Mexico, Costa Rica, or Southeast Asia. Constant change of scenery, a sense of remoteness, and unfamiliarity. I love coming back home with a sense of achievement.

A vacation home/cabin seems dull and un-creative. Minnesotans seem very backward and provincial.

What's your opinions?
you smardt and worldley we ignrant and stuk in mud

Old 11-29-2013, 09:06 PM

414 posts, read 1,020,935 times
Quote:

What's your opinions?
Provincial, yes. Backwards, no.

Minnesota as a state is pretty progressive in terms of social justice, conservation, and recreation. This is great, especially in comparison to much of the rest of the country.

The problem that comes from this is that Minnesota natives recognize this, and thus believe that there's nowhere better in the world to be. Hence, being provincial. The attitude I've seen here is, "We already live in the greatest state on earth, so why go anywhere else?"

I worked in Colorado this summer with a girl who was also from Minnesota, except she was a life-long resident (I've only lived here the last year and a half). Even being surrounded by mountains, clear streams, bright blue skies, and tons of adventures, she couldn't wait to get back home. Meanwhile, I'm counting the days til I can leave here.

Anyways, a lot of it is in the way you were raised. Going to the cabin "up north" is a tradition in MN, WI, MI, and several other states. When your family vacation is always the same thing, you grow up thinking that it's the best way. If you grow up going on adventures, you think that's the bee's knees. Different strokes for different folks.

That said, I personally think excitement, adventure, and new experiences is the way to go

Old 11-29-2013, 09:08 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,368,302 times
Well, most people buy their vacation homes early in their lives so they have a pleasant place to retire. Most people our age that we know that bought a vacation home bought them for about $45,000. They are all valued well over $500,000...seems pretty smart to me ...and not only do they enjoy these homes for years, the also travel so I guess it's the best of both worlds

Old 11-29-2013, 09:16 PM

To golfgal,
Buying a vacation home costs a lot of money today, not to mention property tax, management, etc. Unless you use it a lot, it seems more hassle to buy something far away. And how do you know so early where you would like to retire to? If purely for economic reasons, there are better ways to invest.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqTeacher View Post

Minnesota as a state is pretty progressive in terms of social justice, conservation, and recreation. This is great, especially in comparison to much of the rest of the country.

The problem that comes from this is that Minnesota natives recognize this, and thus believe that there's nowhere better in the world to be. Hence, being provincial. The attitude I've seen here is, "We already live in the greatest state on earth, so why go anywhere else?"

I worked in Colorado this summer with a girl who was also from Minnesota, except she was a life-long resident (I've only lived here the last year and a half). Even being surrounded by mountains, clear streams, bright blue skies, and tons of adventures, she couldn't wait to get back home. Meanwhile, I'm counting the days til I can leave here.

Anyways, a lot of it is in the way you were raised. Going to the cabin "up north" is a tradition in MN, WI, MI, and several other states. When your family vacation is always the same thing, you grow up thinking that it's the best way. If you grow up going on adventures, you think that's the bee's knees. Different strokes for different folks.

That said, I personally think excitement, adventure, and new experiences is the way to go

Denver is a different type of natural beauty. To me, only west of Denver can be considered spectacular natural beauty. Denver itself was dull and uninteresting. It is not very green and lush. The Twin Cities have much more water and greenery.

Minnesota's culture is quite traditional. As a single and childless person, I do feel quite a distance between the majority of people here and people like me. Can you really say that this place is "progressive" when the family-children-church complex is so dominant? It is progressive in some ways, but not all. People's experiences, outlook, and ambitions all seem regional. What I'm looking for is cosmopolitan and stuff to do. Las Vegas, Miami, San Diego, have stuff to do and they make you feel that you are in the center of excitement, great vistas, good looking people, wonderful food, and fast paced life. People celebrate their life, enjoy life, embrace dynamic urban atmosphere. You don't feel that you are the only one of your kind and you are being judged.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:31 PM

414 posts, read 1,020,935 times
Quote:
Denver is a different type of natural beauty. To me, only west of Denver can be considered spectacular natural beauty. Denver itself was dull and uninteresting. It is not very green and lush. The Twin Cities have much more water and greenery.
We were right in the mountains, so minus all the rich snobs pretty much as scenic as you can get in that area...though I personally like Grand Junction

Quote:
Minnesota's culture is quite traditional. As a single and childless person, I do feel quite a distance between the majority of people here and people like me. Can you really say that this place is "progressive" when the family-children-church complex is so dominant? It is progressive in some ways, but not all. People's experiences, outlook, and ambitions all seem regional. What I'm looking for is cosmopolitan and stuff to do. Las Vegas, Miami, San Diego, have stuff to do and they make you feel that you are in the center of excitement, great vistas, good looking people, wonderful food, and fast paced life. People celebrate their life, enjoy life, embrace dynamic urban atmosphere. You don't feel that you are the only one of your kind and you are being judged.
Politically it's very progressive (at least in the Cities and up to Duluth). I think you'd find the dominance of family/church in most areas, though from what I've seen the Cities are a little bit "hipper". As you go further north, though, things get pretty ridiculously traditional. I do feel like there is more of a "stoic" approach to life here rather than a "be merry" approach elsewhere. There is a fine balance though- get too far on the "just have fun" end of things and you just get plain irresponsibility.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
We were right in the mountains, so minus all the rich snobs pretty much as scenic as you can get in that area...though I personally like Grand Junction

Politically it's very progressive (at least in the Cities and up to Duluth). I think you'd find the dominance of family/church in most areas, though from what I've seen the Cities are a little bit "hipper". As you go further north, though, things get pretty ridiculously traditional. I do feel like there is more of a "stoic" approach to life here rather than a "be merry" approach elsewhere. There is a fine balance though- get too far on the "just have fun" end of things and you just get plain irresponsibility.
I think most cities are quite the same way. Minneapolis/St. Paul may be a bit hipper than average. Exciting places are touristy places. When you get an influx of the leisure crowd, you have services and places geared toward them.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:14 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,210,069 times
Quote:

The vacation cabin is mainly a weekend getaway in the summer for the most part and has nothing to do with a superiority complex. It may just be a practicality complex. How on earth are you going to travel abroad on just the weekend. The parents have to work on Monday (or Tuesday if it is a holiday weekend like Memorial Day), so they get away on weekends to a cabin on summer weekends that is often not much more than 100 miles away (my parents had one just 60 miles away when I grew up there). I would guess the percentage of Minnesotans with a second lake home is small, but maybe higher than some other states.

Minnesota ranks 12th for passport ownership and that is when they use their vacation time for longer trips to another country. How do you explain the high rate of passport ownership among such provincial people? Facts trump exaggeration again.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:24 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,210,069 times
Quote:

It is ironic that in Minnesota's traditional culture gay people can legally get married. Try that in Las Vegas or Miami...oops! It is still illegal in Florida and Nevada. Cosmopolitan indeed. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul