Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 08:00 PM

140 posts, read 218,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
Most of the people I know who "go to the cabin" don't own their cabins per se; it's someone else in their family or group of friends that does. The ones that own them mostly either had them passed down through a family member or (if they're older than me) bought them some time ago when they were less expensive. I do know someone in his mid-30's (like me) who bought either a foreclosed or short sale cabin, not sure which, and it is fairly basic as cabins go. He's the exception, though; I don't know anyone else in their 30's who's bought their own cabin. It will be interesting to see how Minnesota's cabin culture changes in the coming years.

I'm with the OP as far as not wanting to stay in one place all the time; I can see the appeal of going up north to a cabin, but it's the kind of thing I'd want to do 2-3 times a year at most (plus, I used to do a lot of camping, so it's sort of "been there, done that" to me). For me, seeing new places and doing new things is what getting away is all about, but I know others like the familiar.
Yes, I get bored easily. I enjoy traveling through spectacular landscape, bustling seaside towns, big cities of sights and landmarks, soaring mountains, rolling hills, river valleys, wine country, amazing canyons, incredible rocks, dry deserts, lush forests, island hopping. I don't think going to the same cabin up north or spending time in Phoenix City get close to what I want.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:23 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbylake View Post
I disagree. Florida as a whole may not be progressive, but there are pockets of gay meccas like Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and Key West. There is nothing like that here. Las Vegas is a fun-loving international metropolis. Yes, gays can get married in Minnesota. Nonetheless, that's not everything in LGBTQ life. People are not expressive here. Like another post says, there is little "be merry" attitude here.

Those gay meccas provide amenities for gays and a visible and festive gay population. Again, the issue here is not conservative vs. liberal, but Minnesota vs. fun.
You have obviously never been to Lord Fletcher's on Lake Minnetonka or Excelsior and Wayzata in the summer, or ever been to the uptown Minneapolis area or Stillwater either. There is definitely an expressive, fun ambiance in those places. Plenty of those pockets exist in MN if you would simply ask someone.

So you favor a non-progressive state with a few pockets here and there over a progressive state and you are definitely entitled to your preference.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, I get bored easily. I enjoy traveling through spectacular landscape, bustling seaside towns, big cities of sights and landmarks, soaring mountains, rolling hills, river valleys, wine country, amazing canyons, incredible rocks, dry deserts, lush forests, island hopping. I don't think going to the same cabin up north or spending time in Phoenix City get close to what I want.
I'll agree with most of these except for the dry deserts. Thanks for sharing!

Old 11-30-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I disagree. Florida as a whole may not be progressive, but there are pockets of gay meccas like Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and Key West. There is nothing like that here. Las Vegas is a fun-loving international metropolis. Yes, gays can get married in Minnesota. Nonetheless, that's not everything in LGBTQ life. People are not expressive here. Like another post says, there is little "be merry" attitude here.

Those gay meccas provide amenities for gays and a visible and festive gay population. Again, the issue here is not conservative vs. liberal, but Minnesota vs. fun.
BTW, Minneapolis has one of the five largest GLBT rights festivals in the nation and it is a three day event (could be even longer now for all I know). It is beyond festive and fun loving from everything I hear. I am sure you can easily get some highlights on YouTube if you search.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqTeacher View Post
Hmmm, it might have something to do with the fact that there's a long international border that makes up one entire side of the state. Just going out on a limb there. Minnesota also has more ties to its "home countries" (i.e. Scandinavian countries) than most places I've been. Going back to visit family in those countries requires a passport.

Also, it's not impossible to get to different weekend getaways. Draw a 150-mile circle around your home location and find somewhere new. It's fun!
The portion of Canada immediately north of Minnesota is similar to northern Minnesota and the cities of Winnipeg and Thunder Bay offer far less than Duluth and the Twin Cities (not even close). If Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal were closer, then more Minnesotans would travel to Canada if even for a few days.

BTW, far more Minnesotans vacation in Mexico than Scandinavia these days. LOL! I doubt too many Minnesotans today have relatives living in Europe. That may have been the case two generations ago, though.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
You have obviously never been to Lord Fletcher's on Lake Minnetonka or Excelsior and Wayzata in the summer, or ever been to the uptown Minneapolis area or Stillwater either. There is definitely an expressive, fun ambiance in those places. Plenty of those pockets exist in MN if you would simply ask someone.

So you favor a non-progressive state with a few pockets here and there over a progressive state and you are definitely entitled to your preference.
Except for Lord Fletcher's, I have been to all the other places you mentioned. They are more festive than the rest of Minnesota. I lived near uptown. But these pockets aren't really all that comparable to big pockets though. I'm not trying to be too hard on Minnesotans; if this state doesn't, it's fine. There are plenty of things to do. Minneapolis/SP have a smaller population than many cities and Minnesota isn't the coasts. I understand that. In fact, I get most info from the web, books, forums, magazines. Asking a local is tricky. A lot of them don't know because their life revolves around their suburb, grocery, kids, and work. Too often, they tell you to visit the Mall of America, or maybe the downtown skyway system. It makes you wonder if they are insiders or outsiders. It is common for transplants to explore more than locals.

The original topic was why cabin/vacation-home than travel. I think the advantage of a cabin lifestyle is that it's your home that you can visit anytime; it feels like home as you are not living out of your suitcase. You can set it up the way you want. You can, like another poster said, make friends and "create traditions." It's much more for family and couples (and with pets) than single gay men.

It's not about if a place is progressive. I am not a political traveler. It's about if a place has the right kind of robust economy, demographics, vibrant lifestyles, and affluence. The places you mentioned, Uptown/Stillwater/Wayzata, all share the prosperity factor in common. Stillwater is also quite conservative; nonetheless, it's a happening place. Much of rural midwest is union-progressives. So what? It's sad to see how depressed the local economy is and how much people are suffering. Of course, no one wants a hostile place. I would never move to those places whether it's Washington or Florida. But gay men have our own "gated communities" where we feel safe, shop, work out, and eat good food.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:44 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Always thought the same thing. I went 'up North' to a few friends cabins when younger. They were okay in the summer but rarely used (except ice fishing) during the winter. Seemed to be a lot of work to spend 2 days in 'relaxing'...after a 3-5 hour drive to get there. I like vacationing in many places rather than one.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Always thought the same thing. I went 'up North' to a few friends cabins when younger. They were okay in the summer but rarely used (except ice fishing) during the winter. Seemed to be a lot of work to spend 2 days in 'relaxing'...after a 3-5 hour drive to get there. I like vacationing in many places rather than one.
Agree. Thing is, the lakes around the metro area aren't that visually different from lakes up north. You can find lots of places, corners, lakeside in this area that are quite, tucked away, swimmable, etc. Perhaps there is a difference in the quality of water, and I'm not knowledgeable about that. It seems redundant to drive FIVE hours to get to a place that looks like Lake Minnetonka or Lake Nokomis, or other lakes with a wilderness quality within an hour's drive.

I have to say this is really a cultural and spiritual tradition than an utilitarian one. Five hours for a weekend trip? Eww... And you have to do maintenance, clean, mow lawns, fix things, all year round just for a few weekends up there? And it's mostly trees, bushes, and lakes? It would be a dread to go up there.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:51 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I would get up to the lake home in 1 hour and 60 minutes. 2 - 2.5 hours is considered the maximum distance for a lot of people (Realtors call it the "two hour rule"). 3-5 hours would be insane. Find me a person who has a long cabin drive and I will show you a person who doesn't go up there very often.

Think like someone who has a buck in their pocket. Like every human being alive, they too would much rather vacation in many places versus just one. Why would someone assume that you are locked into going to either the cabin or vacationing in many places? It is common for me to take a total of three, one week vacations a year outside of the "cabin" or Phoenix. Excluding business, I fly at least once a month for pleasure. I've been to Europe 4 times, Alaska 5, Hawaii, Mexico 20, and all over the USA. Now there are other spots on my bucket list which I will be aiming to do in the coming years.

The trade-offs are not Costs Rica or the family cabin. They are going to a birthday party or at the family cabin for the weekend. Maybe even traveling baseball versus the weekend cabin.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 12-01-2013 at 05:09 AM..

Old 12-01-2013, 05:08 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:

I have to say this is really a cultural and spiritual tradition than an utilitarian one. Five hours for a weekend trip? Eww... And you have to do maintenance, clean, mow lawns, fix things, all year round just for a few weekends up there? And it's mostly trees, bushes, and lakes? It would be a dread to go up there.
Personally, I had a lawn service and a handyman who took care of my list. Now that I have lived up here 1/2 of the year, I still don't do my own work other than mow the lawn. I've never did any of my maintenance on any home I have ever owned. If you go up to the Brained Lakes area (the Gull and White Fish Chain), no one is cutting their own brush on the weekend. The bays are filled with million dollar 2nd and 3rd homes. There really are some people who love to do that hands-on work and it is therapeutic for them. Not me, but I know many that do.

If you don't see and feel the cultural difference between the Lake Nokomis and the Gull Chain, then park your butt on a lawn chair in MPLS watching people jog around the lake. Meanwhile others will boat up to the sandbar or at one of 15 restaurants to have a cocktail after a long day of tubing and water skiing.

There is another group of cabin owners that want as much piece and quiet as possible. That's not my personal cup of tea but I understand that mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul