Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 04:16 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,115,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
The last Republican Mayor of Minneapolis was Richard Erdall. He served one day in office - December 31, 1973 (this was only because the then-current mayor resigned to become Chief of Police on his last day in office).

The last elected Republican Mayor was Kenneth Peterson in 1957. So few Republicans have run for the office that it is actually news that one is running today. Former VP Hubert Humphrey ushered in the current dominance of the DFL when he was elected Mayor in 1945. (BTW, the Democratic Party in Minnesota is somewhat unique in America because it is an amalgam of the Democratic and Farmer-Labor parties, hence the "DFL" designation.)

The last Republican Mayor of St. Paul was George Vavoulis in 1966.

So, yea, Minneapolis and St. Paul proper are pretty progressive.
Really?

I thought Norm Coleman was mayor of St. Paul before he was elected as a US senator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 07:29 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,488,370 times
Naw, Stenvig came after Peterson. But, you see, after Fraser, our mayors have been so Republican, we haven't even needed the real Republicans.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:54 AM

145 posts, read 325,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
I think one thing is for certain. The liberal faction has a much larger presence in just about all forms of social communication, whether it be newspapers, tv, or internet entities such as this. I mean, I read the Star Tribune and associated comment sections and wonder if there are enough conservatives in the MSP metro to count on both hands. Why this is remains beyond me. Many conservatives must be doing other stuff, I suppose.....or maybe I should be looking to suburban outlets for the conservative point of view, as many have mentioned.
It's not exactly new that aside from Fox News the media is moderately to extremely liberal. Sometimes I'll argue with the anti-2nd amendment or anti-car/anti-growth people in the Strib comments section, but for the most part I have better things to do than get myself upset while doing anything useful.

Last edited by Mdcastle; 07-21-2013 at 08:21 AM..

Old 07-21-2013, 09:29 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,488,370 times
That is all rightwing mythology. How was it "liberal" to tax ordinary workers to build a billion dollar stadium for people who are rich enough to own a sports team? It isn't like 99 percent of the people taxed can even afford tickets? And it was slick how the suburbs managed to exempt themselves from the principal burden of the tax. Yeh, all of that was such a "liberal" thing! Everytime a conservative doesn't get exactly what they want, the "answer" is that liberals control everything. No ban on all abortions? Liberal control. Can't repeal every law pertaining to guns? Liberal control (never mind that that staunch liberal George H W Bush quit NRA due to its extremism). Our local conservatives live in a fantasy world, so they have no idea what political realities are here. Somehow with liberal control, Tim Pawlenty managed to develop a huge deficit to prevent the rich from any more taxation. If that's "control", we need something else.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:06 AM
l12

160 posts, read 317,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
When you look at the actuals, dems transfer wealth to the rich at a faster pace than repubs
Sorry to be OT, but what is your basis for that? I know a lot about economics and politics, and I have hard time understanding how that could be shown, all evidence I know of shows quite the contrary .

Genuinely curious where you get these "actuals" since you seem to be someone who does care about facts, PM me if you prefer.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 AM
l12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
I think one thing is for certain. The liberal faction has a much larger presence in just about all forms of social communication, whether it be newspapers, tv, or internet entities such as this. I mean, I read the Star Tribune and associated comment sections and wonder if there are enough conservatives in the MSP metro to count on both hands. Why this is remains beyond me. Many conservatives must be doing other stuff, I suppose.....or maybe I should be looking to suburban outlets for the conservative point of view, as many have mentioned.
You know, we do have two major newspapers. The Pioneer Press can be quite conservative. I am sure that there are other web-based conservative MN media.

One major reason that the media has a liberal bias is that it is a job that requires a strong education but pays very little, the main reward is a feeling that you are doing something important for the community. Not something that most conservatives prioritize.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:48 AM
l12

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
If The Cities are as liberal as you have been led to believe, is that really a problem?

I mean, I've managed to live here in blood-red Alaska for over 10 years without choking the life out of any brain-dead, knee-jerk, intolerant, racist, homophobic, "too stupid to recognize and protect my own self-interest" conservatives.

I'm living proof that one can manage to live with the other side, no matter how odious or insipid.
Good for you, I did the same in Florida for quite a while but I am so happy to have escaped. It can really open up more life possibilities when you know that you won't be disgusted by most people you might meet.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:55 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,529,411 times
The ones in the Cities are quiet about their political beliefs.
Plenty in the Suburbs.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:16 PM

145 posts, read 325,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l12 View Post
You know, we do have two major newspapers. The Pioneer Press can be quite conservative. I am sure that there are other web-based conservative MN media.

One major reason that the media has a liberal bias is that it is a job that requires a strong education but pays very little, the main reward is a feeling that you are doing something important for the community. Not something that most conservatives prioritize.
I think that really is the reason behind it. I heard that most journalism students say they "want to make a difference in the world", a typical liberal attitude, not "make a bunch of money", or even "report the news".

I work for a huge health insurance company which has a definite liberal slant, because they have the attitude that they want to make a difference in the world. Although it does attract a few of the conservative-religious types too which makes an interesting workplace. Myself I just took the job because they were hiring and I needed a job.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:33 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,728,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The ones in the Cities are quiet about their political beliefs.
Plenty in the Suburbs.
This is very true. We are the only conservatives on our block, at least as far as we know. The majority of people around here work for the government, teach, or work in healthcare. In other words, they work in the last bastions of unionized labor, so their politics reflect that.

I like south Minneapolis, but it's white as rice where we are, and they aren't very tolerant of differing views. I would never put up a political lawn sign around here. The concept of diversity doesn't extend to ideas here, or race for that matter. At least not if they have to LIVE near people of a different race.

One time a friend of ours ran into one of our neighbors in a store. They chatted a little and our friend realized that the person she was talking to lived on our block. "Oh, you must live on the same block as our friends, Mr and Mrs Glenfield" said our friend. Our neighbor replied, "Yes, the conservatives. I guess they're pretty nice people despite that though." The neighbor assumed our friend was a fellow liberal, which she isn't. We had a good laugh, but have never mentioned it to our neighbor.

Rest assured that the commenters on CD do not reflect the demographics of the metropolitan area.

Last edited by Glenfield; 07-22-2013 at 06:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul