Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:54 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
The hard part for me to figure out is: is it a product of our years of gridlock? Or have we now attracted hordes of people who did not grow up in the state and have no concept of how to be Minnesota Nice. I do think it may be a fact that surburban families have produced a generation with some sense of entitlement. The whole legend of Minnesota Nice comes from a past where suburban values were yet to make themselves felt. You look around at how much unearned leisure some kids have now, and you can't help wondering if there's some spoiled kids out there. Go back a few generations and kids had to work a lot harder to have any luxuries. Now parents force them on the kids.
I'm not sure if it originally had a different definition, but most people I know consider 'Minnesota Nice' a euphemism for passive-aggressive. Nobody I know under the age of 60 would consider 'Minnesota Nice' a complement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 11:34 AM

28 posts, read 45,329 times
Being a recent transplant to the twin cities, I've had a few different experiences with all sorts of people, born and raised here, other transplants, etc. In my personal experiences, other transplants tend to be more outgoing and socially welcoming than the people I have interacted with that are actually from here. I've had a couple moments with some exceptionally rude people-but I try not to write off the entire state's population based on that. People don't tend to believe in southern hospitality, but I definitely do after living in Florida for years then moving up here. People down south just tend to be nicer and more easy-going than people around here, and I feel like life is just at a much faster pace here. As a disclaimer, I was born and raised in Michigan, so I have no bias to the south- just personal experience! And of course, there are "snobby" people everywhere, we can all have bad experiences in every state...It's just the overall "vibe" my husband and I have felt while here, that it's hard to connect with people, and people here tend to be a little more stuck up than what we are used to.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:37 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
Leave St. Paul out of this.... Minneapolis is the snobby city.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:51 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
Take a moment to consider the source and criteria of this list:

Quote:
To determine which city has the biggest nose in the air, we factored in some traditional staples of snobbery: a reputation for aloof and smarty-pants residents, along with high-end shopping and highbrow cultural offerings like classical music and theater.
But we also considered 21st-century definitions of elitism: tech-savviness, artisanal coffeehouses, and a conspicuous eco-consciousness (say, the kind of city where you get a dirty look for throwing your coffee cup in the wrong bin).
America's Snobbiest Cities - Articles | Travel + Leisure
If high end shopping, classical music, theater, tech-savviness, good coffee and eco-consciousness make us bad then so be it.

This is more a reflection of the anti-intellectual, anti-cultural cultural thread that runs deeply through America than it is a negative statement about us.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 07-07-2013 at 12:03 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 12:29 PM

127 posts, read 213,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Leave St. Paul out of this.... Minneapolis is the snobby city.
Yes.....st. Paul is really neat and we don't have an inferiority complex.....Really, just ask me. It's just that those minneapolitans think they are so cool.

By george, we have a zoo and it's about the best darn zoo around. Minneapolis doesn't even have one.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:42 PM

319 posts, read 528,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
If high end shopping, classical music, theater, tech-savviness, good coffee and eco-consciousness make us bad then so be it.

This is more a reflection of the anti-intellectual, anti-cultural cultural thread that runs deeply through America than it is a negative statement about us.
This.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:49 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
I guess some hick town in Texas is their model city. Everything that makes this a place where intelligent, creative people want to live becomes "snobby". What crap! Again, in 40 years, I've found the AVERAGE person is down to earth and friendly. There are some people who scorn the average person who might be considered snobbish. As for "passive aggressive", that's the judgment of people who either are into pop psychology or come from places where getting in someone's face is considered "healthy emotional expression". Those people have helped lower the standards of the state. I wouldn't depend on them in an emergency.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:59 AM

109 posts, read 168,073 times
I have to agree very snobby here! Hope the moderator doesn't report me for my opinion lol

Old 07-08-2013, 06:09 PM

232 posts, read 735,899 times
Yeah, I'd believe it. When I lived in downtown Minneapolis I hardly ever met another native Minnesotan; everyone was a freshly-minted MBA transplant from another high-tech metro area who grew up skiing in Vail or had parents who paid for sports camps in Florida or California. All they ever did was go on about their graduate degrees, their cars, where they're travelling to next, their $600 sunglasses...Minneapolis is home to a lot of Fortune 500 companies, so you're going to see a lot of very self-important young people who think they're the better than everyone else. The females of this group are the kind who, after having kids someday, would call CPS on you if you bring store-bought cupcakes to a school function. Or they freak out if there's a dish in the sink of their $2 million loft.

When I first got there, I loved living in Minneapolis when there was a nice mix of working class people combined with a few luxury folks and some really end-of-the-line people who would be sitting around that triangle where the bus station/Salvation Army/Mary's Place used to be (and that Hy's Pawn Shop - remember that place?). Now, or at least the last time I came down to DT Minneapolis, it's become a lot like other places where it's the highest end or lowest end, and the middle income people whose rent range is between $500-$700 for a studio are all gone. That's too bad.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:21 AM

109 posts, read 168,073 times
I enjoyed it when I lived in a wealthy west suburb-I commuted and worked out at the local health club...All I heard was talk of vacations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul