Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:01 PM

88 posts, read 301,619 times

Advertisements

Article from the Strib: When it comes to two wheels ... we're No. 1 | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/local/90003892.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4OW3ckUiD 3aPc:_Yyc:aUycaEacyU - broken link)
Also a big feature on Twin Cities bike culture in the current issue of Metro Mag: Metro Magazine (http://www.metromag.com/0p178a4091/the-twin-cities-big-bad-bike-culture/ - broken link)

Personally I find it awesome to outrank Portland which has been viewed as the US's most bike friendly city for a while. There are certainly more improvements to be made, but I'm really happy that bikes are increasingly being viewed as viable means of transportation in the city. Hopefully these stories will grab the attention of council members and legislators.

Also it's spring and I'm just really happy to be riding around in nice weather again. Anybody else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 08:12 PM

409 posts, read 1,241,964 times
Me too! It feels good to be saddle sore again!

The only issue is that I misplaced the keys to my u-lock somewhere over the winter, so now I'm down to just my cable lock and have to be careful about where I tie up.

I took one of my cousins that was in town from Indianapolis on a ride down the Greenway, Hiawatha Trail downtown, back out on the Cedar Lake/Kennilworth and home around the lakes. He was quite jealous, not only of the bike infrastructure, but also of the (relatively) friendly motorists we have here in Minneapolis.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:29 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,594,298 times
It is truly amazing how bike friendly MSP are. I'm about 4 blocks from a bike trail that connects with so many others. I can ride miles in every direction without having to use a street.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,884,604 times
What's even more impressive is that it's #1 and widely considered the harshest weather environment in the country!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:07 PM

88 posts, read 301,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPerpKazoo View Post
I took one of my cousins that was in town from Indianapolis on a ride down the Greenway, Hiawatha Trail downtown, back out on the Cedar Lake/Kennilworth and home around the lakes. He was quite jealous, not only of the bike infrastructure, but also of the (relatively) friendly motorists we have here in Minneapolis.
I'm pretty excited to get over that way more this year. I live in the Midway so have good access to the Mississippi leg of the Grand Rounds which opens up a lot of possibilities. Some day I want to complete the entire Grand Rounds but I'm waaaaay too out of shape for that right now.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:08 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,421,104 times
This is good news. Bike riding is a good, cheap form of public transportation. I haven't ridden a bike since I was 15, but I'm thinking about getting my old one shipped up here from my parents' place and staring to ride again.

The one thing that bugs me about cyclists in Mpls is that they tend to ride in the street, even busy main streets. Bike riding is good, but obstructing traffic that moves at 45 mph is not. Sidewalks and bike lanes are for bikes, roads are for automobiles.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:30 PM

166 posts, read 391,577 times
I heard Portland was the best bike friendly city. This is interesting! I'd have to say other than the lakes, how bike accessible the city of Minneapolis is that makes me love this city even more. There is this thing "30days of biking in April" going on.

Minneapolis Bike Love | 30 Days of Biking (http://30daysofbiking.com/bike/sponsors/minneapolis-bike-love/ - broken link)

Old 04-07-2010, 12:50 PM

383 posts, read 901,244 times
The thing that sucks about cycling here though is that you have arrogant commuters from the 'burbs who know jack $#^$ about traffic laws and who always veer into the bike paths and who don't know what a @#$% hand signal is. I nearly got ran over by a guy in a truck on Portland ave even though I had the right of way on the street. I nearly keyed his truck at the next stoplight.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:32 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,237,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
The one thing that bugs me about cyclists in Mpls is that they tend to ride in the street, even busy main streets. Bike riding is good, but obstructing traffic that moves at 45 mph is not. Sidewalks and bike lanes are for bikes, roads are for automobiles.
Roads are for bikes too. Riding a bike on the sidewalk is sometimes illegal.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:36 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,237,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRedRain View Post
The thing that sucks about cycling here though is that you have arrogant commuters from the 'burbs who know jack $#^$ about traffic laws and who always veer into the bike paths and who don't know what a @#$% hand signal is.
The thing that sucks for the commuters is the large number of stupid arrogant hipsters on fixed gear bikes with no brakes running red lights and stop signs, going the wrong direction on one ways streets, and not using any hand signals at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul