Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 05:54 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,751,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily6271 View Post
Originally Posted by Kelklos

"'I spent the last three years working at the Mall of America and yes, while most people were "nice", Minnesotans are generally more standoffish in person. Or reserved. Take a walk through that mall - most people don't ever look you in the eye - they look forward, or down. Here in NC, it's more like, "HI! How are you? Where y'all from? Welcome! What brings you here?" Minnesota (in my experience from the Twin Cities) just generally isn't a place where people are so enthusiastic in their greeting and acceptance of others. Not saying it is bad, but a little too standoffish for my taste.'

I'm calling BS on this one. I have spent a lot of time in Charlotte. In all the time I have been there, not once has some stranger come up to me on the street or in a mall and said anything like this, except for a few panhandlers. Do you really expect us to believe that people walk around shopping malls in North Carolina somehow magically seeking out newcomers so they can greet them and ask them where they're from? C'mon."

Actually, they do. It happened to my son and I in a grocery store near Wake Forest University. A woman just started chatting with us. She was bright, well-dressed, soccer-mom type. We commented on her friendliness, and she explained how Southerners are trained as children to be charming and gracious. I've met other Southerners like this, but I've also spent a fair amount of time in Charlotte where it didn't happen. Those folks must be "from away." Nevertheless, let's not be too quick to call someone else's report of their experience "bs." Maybe you should get a cute dog.
That wasn't very nice.

One person coming up to you doesn't mean he wasn't exaggerating, also known as BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 05:31 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,149,779 times
The truth is the Minnesota Nice isn't really nice. Most Minnesotans are actually not nice at all. But they ARE polite, and won't show you their nasty sides.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
The truth is the Minnesota Nice isn't really nice. Most Minnesotans are actually not nice at all. But they ARE polite, and won't show you their nasty sides.
The word nice in Minnesota Nice is used in the same context that I used it in my post preceding yours: polite, agreeable, and pleasant. It does not imply reaching out to strangers in an effort towards deep and genuine friendship. Such a trait might be desirable and admirable but it would not be described by the word nice.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:51 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,175,831 times
<awaiting introduction of some bizzaro tangent totally off-topic>

Old 01-19-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
<awaiting introduction of some bizzaro tangent totally off-topic>
As requested....

Old 01-19-2015, 04:16 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,572,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
As requested....
...an aloof Minnesotan

Wait, are we doing this game?

Old 01-21-2015, 01:51 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,175,831 times
some guy did this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-t...yer_detailpage

doesn't mean he was a snob but it wasn't very nice to spite our much-loved cousins down in the holler to the East.

Meet the fan who trolled the Packers with 'HAHAHAHA' sign at Wild game | RandBall | StarTribune.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul