Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 09:27 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
this is exactly correct and a long-winded explanation is available at Wiki... Interstate 35E (Minnesota) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

remembered being a pretty big deal when it opened in 1990 as I was working in downtown St Paul, however, I fail to recall there being commies involved which (like most everything else that commies are involved with) explains a lot...

"The 1990 opening ceremony of I-35E in downtown Saint Paul was attended by a group of highway experts from the Soviet Union, and both the US and Soviet national anthems were played."
It always surprises me how late certain sections of the interstate opened. Downtown St. Paul didn't have a full connection until 1990? That seems mind-boggling (mostly to those of us who grew up with the interstate largely how it appears to day).

You've also gotta love the Wikipedia mention of commies. They did infiltrate us, after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
People really do need to learn how to merge around here. That's interesting I read this thread. Just tonight in the car we laughed at these two GIANT white-signs with black text. One read something like - USE TURN SIGNAL IF TURNING RIGHT-ON-RED. The other one read something like SLOWER TRAFFIC MERGE RIGHT.
Try driving here some time. There are a lot of people who either don't know those rules or know about them and simply don't care.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:12 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Is this a new dance craze like Gangnam Style?

Old 10-25-2012, 08:57 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Presumably--despite its history--it is up to interstate standards, since it is part of the interstate, after all. I've always understood it to be because the rich folks nearby didn't want the noise.
There are many interstates that are not up to "Interstate Standards". I-35W and I-94 are two examples here in the Twin Cities. I-35W south of Minneapolis has emergency pull-over shoulders only in short increments, not the entire length of the Interstate (as is standard, I believe). Also, I-94 near the U of M has been 4 lanes in each direction since the I-35W bridge collapse and has no/minimal shoulders, and because it is not up to Interstate standard they are reconstructing it to be safer and more up to par. There are multiple multiple other examples of "Interstates" in this country that are not up to what would normally be considered "Interstate Standards", and usually it's because of special cirumstances or Grandfathered clauses.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:56 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Try driving here some time. There are a lot of people who either don't know those rules or know about them and simply don't care.
Atlanta?

Do people typically drive faster than normal or slower than normal?
What are the DWI/DUI #'s? Are there a lot? More than MN?

Old 10-25-2012, 10:58 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
There are many interstates that are not up to "Interstate Standards". I-35W and I-94 are two examples here in the Twin Cities. I-35W south of Minneapolis has emergency pull-over shoulders only in short increments, not the entire length of the Interstate (as is standard, I believe). Also, I-94 near the U of M has been 4 lanes in each direction since the I-35W bridge collapse and has no/minimal shoulders, and because it is not up to Interstate standard they are reconstructing it to be safer and more up to par. There are multiple multiple other examples of "Interstates" in this country that are not up to what would normally be considered "Interstate Standards", and usually it's because of special cirumstances or Grandfathered clauses.
Yes, but many of these are on the east coast, where highways already existed in the most obvious places, so it only made sense. And roads with variances often don't get as much/any money from what I understand. Toll roads, for instance, don't seem to get federal funding. And many variances are temporary due to changes to rules like new features that need to be included when dates are done. Speaking of which, isn't there supposed to be some change to the 35W/94 interchange? I thought I heard it was currently breaking the rules and would have to be updated. I'd certainly enjoy a little less congestion in that area!

Old 10-25-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Atlanta?

Much faster. I have no idea about DWI/DUI stats, tho.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:57 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Atlanta?

so fast it's almost comical, aggressive too but not in a naughty way...I've driven through a few times mostly along the beltways and while not a namby-pamby slow-poke by any means it's a little intimidating being caught out amongst the (apparently) Sprint Cup drivers heading towards the next race. Definitely don't want to stray too far from the right hand lanes unless your willing to go at least 80 or 90.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
I don't feel like people try that crap where troopers are persistent, like f'ing Wisconsin! On a tough night even the Chicago drivers slow down on I-90/94 in WI!

Old 10-26-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
so fast it's almost comical, aggressive too but not in a naughty way...I've driven through a few times mostly along the beltways and while not a namby-pamby slow-poke by any means it's a little intimidating being caught out amongst the (apparently) Sprint Cup drivers heading towards the next race. Definitely don't want to stray too far from the right hand lanes unless your willing to go at least 80 or 90.
Right now, most of I-285 is posted as 55 MPH, but most people actaully do 75-80 on I-285 southbound on the west side of town between I-75 and the airport. Middle lanes might be 70, and things sometimes slow down before I-20, but not always. The posted limits are not repected.

Because of this, we've heard that they're going to put up digital signs, raise the limit to 65 in at least some parts of the perimeter, and dynamically change the legal speed limit as needed based on conditions. That may make things a little better.

You might think that Georgia's "Super Speeder" Law would make people think twice about going 20 over the limit, but you'd be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul