Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 08:37 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Actually I-494 at least has congestion most of the day, every day of the week, in three or four particular areas:

1. at France Ave (Eastbound)
2. at Portland Ave (Westbound)
3. at I-35W (Westbound)
4. at Cedar Ave (Eastbound)

Traffic can slow to a screetching halt at any of those areas and France Ave usually has congestion that stretches for at least 1 mile behind it most of the daylight hours any day of the week (and beyond in winter, because daylight hours are minimal and holiday shopping).
Except right now, all of those areas are under construction or some kind or ramps are closed for construction on nearby roads causing a lot of issues. I go through there frequently at about 9:30 am and 3:00 PM and traffic is free flowing even through the construction zones. I've been through those spots at least 3 days/week for the past 2 months with no issues. When I've had to go during rush hour, different story, but still moving along at about 45 mph with the occasional slam on the breaks because some idiot pulls into a "faster" moving lane .

MnDot is also adding a rapid bus lane to Cedar right now--causing a lot of traffic issues and back ups-posted speed limit is 50 and traffic moves along at or close to that once people get past the merge point.

This 55 in a 60 "issue" is why I say that traffic in the Twin Cities doesn't exist. That is not a traffic jam. Try going to LA where it takes 90 minutes to go 20 miles and you are completely stopped in traffic for much of that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 09:25 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
I've been to LA, and hope the Twin Cities never builds itself into that kind of mess!

If I-494 is under construction and there are detours posted that may explain why traffic levels are lower right now (people are finding other routes to and fro). When I lived in the area as recent as early last year there were slow-downs on I-494 almost every day, no matter the time. I remember this explicitly because my in-laws came in from out of town to visit and they kept asking me if this was normal (meaning, why are we slowing down in the middle of the day on a Sunday?).

Old 10-23-2012, 09:40 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Quote:
I was almost 100% certain MNDOT was in the process of widening I-494 in Bloomington from I-35W to Hwy. 100.........right now. The goal is to add a lane in each direction in that stretch, as well as I-35W to 34th St near the MN River. I also thought they were currently studying what kind of flyover they want to construct at I-35W and I-494, and depending on the outcome of that study we may know how many lanes we could fit under that new structure (4, 5 or 6 in each direction). Maybe I'm wrong.....
Those must be already approved or started projects. I do know that there are no plans of adding additional lanes to metro interstates in the future. Transportation planners tend to believe that more lanes encourages automobile use. It seems like the Met Council and MnDot are more set on increasing bus routes, rail lines and other alternatives.
Attached Thumbnails
"Do the zipper merge"-dadafdafdafdafd.jpg  

Old 10-23-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I've been to LA, and hope the Twin Cities never builds itself into that kind of mess!

If I-494 is under construction and there are detours posted that may explain why traffic levels are lower right now (people are finding other routes to and fro). When I lived in the area as recent as early last year there were slow-downs on I-494 almost every day, no matter the time. I remember this explicitly because my in-laws came in from out of town to visit and they kept asking me if this was normal (meaning, why are we slowing down in the middle of the day on a Sunday?).
No detours, just working on the bridges and ramps. I will give you that there are slow downs--from 70 down to the posted speed limit of 60, maybe 55 if it is bad

Old 10-23-2012, 12:16 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
I was just on a new flyover ramp on 494-169, wow those are great. So glad they are redoing that interchange. 494 was a mess, traffic was moving but the freeway was very narrow at parts, are they adding lanes or something?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:35 PM

228 posts, read 664,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
First, I don't know anyone who lives in a big city that complains about traffic going 5 mph under the speed limit!! second, if traffic is moving 55 mph and you can't find a spot to pass someone going slow, than you are a bad driver and should not be complaining about yourself. 55 mph would be a blessing during rush hour!!

End rant
A lot of times we get "stuck" because we are coming over the river on 35E and with the two lane stretch for several miles, if people in BOTH lanes decide they want to go 5 under the limit, you are screwed. You have to wait until it widens for folks to move over (they won't) or go around them. Or, my favorite move, the one in the far left lane cuts across everyone because they realized they almost missed their exit because they were dicking around on their phone.

Someone explain to me why the speed limit is 70, then 60, then 55, then 45 coming into St Paul on 35E where it crawls along for no discernible reason. This screwed EVERYONE up, folks usually are riding their brakes, and everything gets gummed up for no reason whatsoever. This isn't some country lane, this is an Interstate.

I miss driving in Illinois- their state troopers don't seem to give a rats ass how fast you are going, people know the drill and know how to drive, and somehow, someway it all works on nice big WIDE interstates.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondra_finchley View Post
A lot of times we get "stuck" because we are coming over the river on 35E and with the two lane stretch for several miles, if people in BOTH lanes decide they want to go 5 under the limit, you are screwed. You have to wait until it widens for folks to move over (they won't) or go around them. Or, my favorite move, the one in the far left lane cuts across everyone because they realized they almost missed their exit because they were dicking around on their phone.

Someone explain to me why the speed limit is 70, then 60, then 55, then 45 coming into St Paul on 35E where it crawls along for no discernible reason. This screwed EVERYONE up, folks usually are riding their brakes, and everything gets gummed up for no reason whatsoever. This isn't some country lane, this is an Interstate.

I miss driving in Illinois- their state troopers don't seem to give a rats ass how fast you are going, people know the drill and know how to drive, and somehow, someway it all works on nice big WIDE interstates.
It's 45 through St. Paul because when they added that section the people at the top of the hill didn't want the added noise of the higher speed limits.

I've driven in Ill, it is no picnic either. Plenty of slow drivers in the left lane holding up traffic, no idea of how to merge, etc. there too.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:47 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
I also think the I-35E thing in St. Paul has to do with what appears to be a section of that "Interstate" that was clearly once a neighborhood highway, kind of like what Hwy. 100 was in St. Louis Park before it became a major highway. It's not up to Interstate standards, and maybe that's why it's slower.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:36 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
Quote:
I also think the I-35E thing in St. Paul has to do with what appears to be a section of that "Interstate" that was clearly once a neighborhood highway, kind of like what Hwy. 100 was in St. Louis Park before it became a major highway. It's not up to Interstate standards, and maybe that's why it's slower.
Presumably--despite its history--it is up to interstate standards, since it is part of the interstate, after all. I've always understood it to be because the rich folks nearby didn't want the noise.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:52 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Presumably--despite its history--it is up to interstate standards, since it is part of the interstate, after all. I've always understood it to be because the rich folks nearby didn't want the noise.
this is exactly correct and a long-winded explanation is available at Wiki... Interstate 35E (Minnesota) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

remembered being a pretty big deal when it opened in 1990 as I was working in downtown St Paul, however, I fail to recall there being commies involved which (like most everything else that commies are involved with) explains a lot...

"The 1990 opening ceremony of I-35E in downtown Saint Paul was attended by a group of highway experts from the Soviet Union, and both the US and Soviet national anthems were played."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul