Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 10:58 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times

Advertisements

I have driven in 12 states in the past couple months. The drivers in the Twin Cities are by far the best I've come across anywhere. I don't think they actually install blinkers in cars in Ill, IN, PA, NJ because I've never seen anyone from those states actually use one and while you do see some people not use them here, for the most part people do use them.

The merging thing on the cloverleafs though-while not great, still better than most places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 06:27 PM

302 posts, read 727,384 times
I LOVE Minnesota, however coming from California the thing I do NOT like here is the way people drive!! Some of the worst drivers in the country. The fact that the "zipper merge"commercial exists is testimony to how poor the driving skills are. People....move to the end of the dashed line....you don't have to merge a mile ahead of the actual merge. ANd NO you're not be Minnesota nice or "fair", you're just proving you don't know how to drive! Also, even if it's not the law in Minnesota, it's COMMON COURTESY in almost every other state to MOVE RIGHT if you want to drive slow. Do you know how much traffic is created when you have people going 40 in the left lane on 35W?? MOVE RIGHT SLOW POKE! Also, so much passive aggressiveness. Yikes. Minnesotans will tail you and then when you gesture to them they freak out, slow down and don't want to make eye contact. Wacky. Again, I LOVE Minnesota but I'll take the drivers on the California freeways ANY DAY over driving in Minnesota!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
I LOVE Minnesota, however coming from California the thing I do NOT like here is the way people drive!! Some of the worst drivers in the country. The fact that the "zipper merge"commercial exists is testimony to how poor the driving skills are. People....move to the end of the dashed line....you don't have to merge a mile ahead of the actual merge. ANd NO you're not be Minnesota nice or "fair", you're just proving you don't know how to drive! Also, even if it's not the law in Minnesota, it's COMMON COURTESY in almost every other state to MOVE RIGHT if you want to drive slow. Do you know how much traffic is created when you have people going 40 in the left lane on 35W?? MOVE RIGHT SLOW POKE! Also, so much passive aggressiveness. Yikes. Minnesotans will tail you and then when you gesture to them they freak out, slow down and don't want to make eye contact. Wacky. Again, I LOVE Minnesota but I'll take the drivers on the California freeways ANY DAY over driving in Minnesota!
The reason the zipper merge commercial exists is that the practice of zipper merging is new in the area, not because people are bad drivers. Zipper merging is not standard practice in most states actually. I agree with you on the people playing State Patrol in the left lane though.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:55 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,682,112 times
Drivers in Minnesota aren't very good. I have a lot of friends and family that have lived around the country and it's very very common for me to hear about how crappy the drivers are here. It's unbelievable. On Sunday I was driving on 694 (3 lanes) and I was STUCK IN TRAFFIC! At 12:00 on a Sunday! Why? Because people were going 55 in the FAST LANE!!!!!!!!! Also because people were going a speed of 55 when getting on the freeway. Common Rule is to be going the speed limit when hitting the freeway.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:12 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
I've never heard this rule about moving to the end of the dashed line. In fact, if you did that every time and you did NOT have an opening, you'd be pretty screwed and/or be a much higher risk for causing an accident. The way I approach that situation is speed up along the ramp and highway with the area I have given to me and once I approach freeway speed I take an open spot as soon as it becomes available (whether it's right when I get on or all the way to the end of the dashed line). To me this makes the most logical and safe sense.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:13 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Drivers in Minnesota aren't very good. I have a lot of friends and family that have lived around the country and it's very very common for me to hear about how crappy the drivers are here. It's unbelievable. On Sunday I was driving on 694 (3 lanes) and I was STUCK IN TRAFFIC! At 12:00 on a Sunday! Why? Because people were going 55 in the FAST LANE!!!!!!!!! Also because people were going a speed of 55 when getting on the freeway. Common Rule is to be going the speed limit when hitting the freeway.
55 mph isn't "traffic" IMO. Traffic would be less than 45 mph.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
There are poor drivers everywhere, but I've seen drivers do things here in the Atlanta metro that I never saw them do up in the Twin Cities. People seem a lot more impatient here. Not as many slow drivers.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:00 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,682,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
55 mph isn't "traffic" IMO. Traffic would be less than 45 mph.
What? Why not? Anything less than the speed limit is traffic IMO.
I don't get why it's a Sunday afternoon and I'm driving 55 MPH on a Major US interstate, when the speed limit is 60.

That's fine if you choose not to drive the speed limit, but get out of the way for those who don't care about it, like me.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
What? Why not? Anything less than the speed limit is traffic IMO.
I don't get why it's a Sunday afternoon and I'm driving 55 MPH on a Major US interstate, when the speed limit is 60.

That's fine if you choose not to drive the speed limit, but get out of the way for those who don't care about it, like me.
Accident, weather construction--there are a lot of reasons why this could be the case. When was this, what else was going on at the time??

Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,480,367 times
Reread your driver's manual. The "speed limit" is whatever is safe. A general rule of the road. In theory you could be ticketed for driving 55 in a 60 mile zone if the conditions made that unsafe. Not that anyone in the state retains anything once they pass the written test. Again, its why the performance on the highway is so lousy. People simply have no respect for the concept of skillful driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul