Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:35 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
On my observations and from what I've heard, Chicago has certainly more racial tension than MSP. Granted, even though I have visited often and spent 3 weeks there at one point, I have never lived in Chicago, where I have lived almost 6 years 1 hour or less from MSP.
I'm a black male who lived on the northside of Chicago and I never faced any racial biased. I lived on the Uptown/Lakeview border and I found my neighborhood to be very diverse and welcoming. I think a lot of perceptions from the past give Chicago a bad name in that regard. However I feel those days are long...long gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 07:41 PM

82 posts, read 150,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2N View Post
For families with young children: Minneapolis

For young singles: Chicago

Minneapolis/St Paul (suburbs of) have excellent public schools... loads of parks...and many other families for your kids to find friendships.

Chicago has the downtown nightlife (MN is good but CHI is better)... different ethnic areas that add culture and interest (again MN is good, CHI better)... and the "art" scene is by far loads better in CHI. Not to mention flying out of CHI is usually cheaper and WAY more options than MN has (No West has a strangle hold).

Both places are colder than... well... are seriously cold. MN is colder... but CHI isn't exactly FLA in comparison.
To be honest, Chicago's downtown is actually quite quiet at night. Minneapolis's nightlife is centralized in downtown, but the nightlife in Chicago is actually in the neighborhood of Linkin Park.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:59 PM

137 posts, read 202,481 times
Chicago is a world class city. Chicago is home to one of the worlds bussiest airports. Chicago is the birthplace of many of the most influential styles of architecture including Prairie School, Chicago Style, Chicago Traditional, Stone-Cedar-Shake, and the Skyscraper. Chicago is a very large sprawling city. It has a very homey atmosphere. People here are dedicated to their jobs and families. Chicago is extremely conservative. The City of Chicago is able to sway state, county, and national politics to the democratic side, but most of the suburbs and wealthy sections of the city like the Gold Coast, Beverly, and parts of Lincoln Park are very republican. There are not any suburbs that can compare to the North Shore suburbs of Chicago. These uber-swank communities are among the wealthiest in the country and boast stunning homes. There are many nationally recognized public high schools like New Trier High School, Evanston Township High School, Lincoln Park High School, Northside College Prep, Hinsdale Central, Glenbrook North, and Lake Forest High School. Downtown Chicago is very quiet at night. Chicago has virtually no nightlife after several night club accidents such as the E2 Night Club fire. Minneapolis has nothing on Chicago, it does not have the lake, parks, schools, or anything like Chicago.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:10 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenty View Post
There are many nationally recognized public high schools like New Trier High School, Evanston Township High School, Lincoln Park High School, Northside College Prep, Hinsdale Central, Glenbrook North, and Lake Forest High School.
Do you really want to compare Chicago suburban schools with Twin Cities suburban schools? Man, I'd absolutely LOVE to see an objective comparison, if such were possible, but I sure wouldn't be putting my money on Chicago winning.

I'd love to see Minnesota schools compared to other supposedly good states like Massachusetts, for that matter. Or Georgia.

Quote:
Minneapolis has nothing on Chicago, it does not have the lake, parks, schools, or anything like Chicago.
Minneapolis doesn't have a Lake Michigan, but it does have a very nice chain of lakes inside the city, an excellent park system (there are over 150 parks in the Minneapolis city limits alone), one of the best bike and walking path systems in the entire country, and more theatres per capita than Chicago or any other city in the US except New York City.

I don't think the Twin Cities pretends to be Chicago, but it doesn't have to, since it already dominates the state it which it resides.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenty View Post
Chicago is a world class city. Chicago is home to one of the worlds bussiest airports. Chicago is the birthplace of many of the most influential styles of architecture including Prairie School, Chicago Style, Chicago Traditional, Stone-Cedar-Shake, and the Skyscraper. Chicago is a very large sprawling city. It has a very homey atmosphere. People here are dedicated to their jobs and families. Chicago is extremely conservative. The City of Chicago is able to sway state, county, and national politics to the democratic side, but most of the suburbs and wealthy sections of the city like the Gold Coast, Beverly, and parts of Lincoln Park are very republican. There are not any suburbs that can compare to the North Shore suburbs of Chicago. These uber-swank communities are among the wealthiest in the country and boast stunning homes. There are many nationally recognized public high schools like New Trier High School, Evanston Township High School, Lincoln Park High School, Northside College Prep, Hinsdale Central, Glenbrook North, and Lake Forest High School. Downtown Chicago is very quiet at night. Chicago has virtually no nightlife after several night club accidents such as the E2 Night Club fire. Minneapolis has nothing on Chicago, it does not have the lake, parks, schools, or anything like Chicago.
Chicago is a pretty cool city, but not does not have quite as much class/high standards as Minneapolis does. Minneapolis is a much better kept, well run city. Chicago is commonly ranked as the dirtiest city in America. Minneapolis has many more lakes,trees, clean air and more nature in general. Chicago has it's history and all, but in general I think Minneapolis is a much more well run city then Chicago.

- 50 Cleanest (Dirtiest) Cities in America | The Environment | Reader's Digest (http://www.rd.com/special-reports/the-environment/50-cleanest-dirtiest-cities-in-america/article.html - broken link)

- Top Tech City: Minneapolis, MN | Popular Science

- Minneapolis #1 in Literacy (http://minneapolis.about.com/b/2003/07/12/minneapolis-1-in-literacy.htm - broken link)

Last edited by Mistacoolio20; 02-06-2008 at 09:13 PM..

Old 02-07-2008, 12:18 PM

13 posts, read 40,799 times
The growing suburbs are definitely on the south west side. If you like cookie cutter town houses and cheaply built new homes look to shakopee and chaska. I think the best suburbs are the west side of Bloomington (lots of lakes and nicer houses), Eden Prairie (considered up here to be where the "new money" lives, Edina ("old money"), Chanhassen (more of a small town feel). Bloomington and Edina are about 10 minutes (without traffic) away from downtown, whereas Eden Prairie and Chanhassen are more like 15-20. These are suburbs to go if you want to raise your family. I just moved to West Bloomington (I'm a newlywed without kids) and I absolutely love my neighborhood. I am also an experienced teacher (subbing until I find a real job) and the west Bloomington school system is very nice. (Olson Elementary, Olson Middle, and Jefferson High) Hope this helps.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:22 PM

13 posts, read 40,799 times
Minneapolis is sprawling, but it is still very easy to get from one place to another. Charlotte, NC is another story.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolangal View Post
The growing suburbs are definitely on the south west side. If you like cookie cutter town houses and cheaply built new homes look to shakopee and chaska. I think the best suburbs are the west side of Bloomington (lots of lakes and nicer houses), Eden Prairie (considered up here to be where the "new money" lives, Edina ("old money"), Chanhassen (more of a small town feel). Bloomington and Edina are about 10 minutes (without traffic) away from downtown, whereas Eden Prairie and Chanhassen are more like 15-20. These are suburbs to go if you want to raise your family. I just moved to West Bloomington (I'm a newlywed without kids) and I absolutely love my neighborhood. I am also an experienced teacher (subbing until I find a real job) and the west Bloomington school system is very nice. (Olson Elementary, Olson Middle, and Jefferson High) Hope this helps.
The City or country is the only place to raise a kid with any sense of real culture.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:24 PM

93 posts, read 367,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistacoolio20 View Post
Chicago is a pretty cool city, but not does not have quite as much class/high standards as Minneapolis does. Minneapolis is a much better kept, well run city. Chicago is commonly ranked as the dirtiest city in America. Minneapolis has many more lakes,trees, clean air and more nature in general. Chicago has it's history and all, but in general I think Minneapolis is a much more well run city then Chicago.

- 50 Cleanest (Dirtiest) Cities in America | The Environment | Reader's Digest (http://www.rd.com/special-reports/the-environment/50-cleanest-dirtiest-cities-in-america/article.html - broken link)

- Top Tech City: Minneapolis, MN | Popular Science

- Minneapolis #1 in Literacy (http://minneapolis.about.com/b/2003/07/12/minneapolis-1-in-literacy.htm - broken link)
This is so wrong I shouldn't even really be paying attention to it. Chicago is one of the cleanest cities and well kept in the country, especially for its size.

Most people I've talked to who live in Chicago and came from New York said the FIRST thing they noticed about Chicago was how clean the street were.

I've lived most of my life in Minneapolis and now live in Chicago. Minneapolis doesn't hold a candle to anything Chicago has.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngurbanprofessional View Post
This is so wrong I shouldn't even really be paying attention to it. Chicago is one of the cleanest cities and well kept in the country, especially for its size.

Most people I've talked to who live in Chicago and came from New York said the FIRST thing they noticed about Chicago was how clean the street were.

I've lived most of my life in Minneapolis and now live in Chicago. Minneapolis doesn't hold a candle to anything Chicago has.
Mind being a bit more specific?
Chicago may have it's history and architecture, but Minneapolis is a much more well run city then Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul