Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 10:39 PM

42 posts, read 241,752 times

Advertisements

thanks for all your responses guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 05:03 PM

6 posts, read 41,129 times
Minneapolis is second to NYC in the number of theater seats

Old 08-18-2007, 08:58 AM

640 posts, read 1,987,840 times
Default Are "outsiders" welcomed in these cities?

I've been reading a lot about how people in different regions of the country can be "possessive" and don't take too kindly to new people not from their area/region.

Being passionate about your geographical heritage (i.e.: Midwest, NE, South, etc.) is great, don't get me wrong. I love the fact that I am from the NE; I just can't afford to live there any longer!

For example, my experience in NC has been disheartening to say the least. I am from New York (I grew up on a rural farm, but that doesn't matter to anyone here). I know (from talking to current employees at jobs I have applied for---financial support positions) I have lost jobs because I am considered a Yankee, an outsider. I have a history of receiving offers on about 80% of jobs I have applied for in the past, so what I have experience here has been humbling to say the least (I was offered maybe 5% of jobs I applied for).

I have found work in a well paying organization but it took months when it should have taken weeks. My hiring manager is not from the southern Atlantic states area, by the way.

Many people do well in NC that are from the NE. But they are the type who are willing do what it takes to fit in, so they become chameleons. I don't want to do that. I want to just be myself.

I call it "geographical discrimination." Is this practiced in Minneapolis or Chicago and/or the surrounding suburbs of each city?

Old 08-20-2007, 11:12 PM

15 posts, read 53,549 times
The singles dating scene has more options/is larger in Chicago. And more people from lots of different places. Minneapolis is a great city (I live here) but it and some of its hearty folk are still less sophisticated than Chi town for sure.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:29 AM

2 posts, read 9,342 times
I grew up in Chicago, and have lived in Minneapolis the past 6 years. To me, it's simple to compare on paper, but sometimes being the best doesn't make the winner.

Chicago: Best city in the US. Diverse population, excellent food, nightlife, entertainment, architecture, etc. Chicago offers anything and everything you could want in life. It contradicts itself in every way, but gets away with it. Gritty but beautiful, exciting but manageable, conceited yet modest, cosmopolitan yet family oriented. The people there will tell you what they're thinking, and will get in your face, whether its good or bad. Its one of the most striking differences I've seen between Minneapolis and Chicago.

Minneapolis: It is my adopted city, and I've fallen in love with it. It is truly a "small" big city, offering almost everything you'd find in Chicago, yet a vast difference in variety and availability. I live downtown right now, and EVERYTHING closes way too early. The culture here just isn't cut out for a late night crowd, except if you're a barfly. "minnesota nice" essentially stands for "avoid confrontation, talk crap behind your back later". There is no food here, and late nights get used to Perkins/Dennys/Mickeys. There are several "Chicago" style places, but they all fail on so many levels. The thing is though, is that Minneapolis intoxicates you with its water, parks, and quality of life. Minnesotans are quite loyal for the most part, and sometimes the passiveness comes in handy. Plus, if i had to choose a place to raise a family, Minneapolis certainly offers more safety than Chicago. North Minneapolis, for all the bad press is gets, really isnt that bad. I've walked around there late at night by myself, and I've never gotten "Jacked"

Old 11-27-2007, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 20,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
I've been reading a lot about how people in different regions of the country can be "possessive" and don't take too kindly to new people not from their area/region.

Being passionate about your geographical heritage (i.e.: Midwest, NE, South, etc.) is great, don't get me wrong. I love the fact that I am from the NE; I just can't afford to live there any longer!

For example, my experience in NC has been disheartening to say the least. I am from New York (I grew up on a rural farm, but that doesn't matter to anyone here). I know (from talking to current employees at jobs I have applied for---financial support positions) I have lost jobs because I am considered a Yankee, an outsider. I have a history of receiving offers on about 80% of jobs I have applied for in the past, so what I have experience here has been humbling to say the least (I was offered maybe 5% of jobs I applied for).

I have found work in a well paying organization but it took months when it should have taken weeks. My hiring manager is not from the southern Atlantic states area, by the way.

Many people do well in NC that are from the NE. But they are the type who are willing do what it takes to fit in, so they become chameleons. I don't want to do that. I want to just be myself.

I call it "geographical discrimination." Is this practiced in Minneapolis or Chicago and/or the surrounding suburbs of each city?

I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and have lived in the city proper for 2 years now. There are so many people from all walks of life here that I don't find any "geographical discrimination", at least none that I've experienced. I would say this especially applies to people from the NE, there may be some judgement about people from the south though.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:37 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,572,790 times
Chicago is much better for young people. If you are a young woman looking for culture, move to Chicago. I grew up in Chicago but have spent extensive time in Minneapolis/St. Paul as my mother's whole family lives there. If you love real diversity, Chicago is for you. If you enjoy being surrounded by African-Americans, Hispanics and Norwegians who sit on the davenport during their cold winters discussing "one of them deals" you should move to Minneapolis. You betcha.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:42 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,248,321 times
Your asking people their opinion of which is the better city while never telling anyone exactly what you are looking for, which makes it hard since no one really knows anything about what you want.

Minneapolis is obviously closer to South Dakota, which could be a good or bad thing-I dunno. You will also find more South Dakota transplants in Minneapolis, but, once again I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

Also, Minneapolis might not feel so overwhelming since you are coming from South Dakota, then again, maybe that is what you are looking for.

You are also asking this on the Minneapolis board, which is likely to give many answers in favor of Minneapolis. Did you also post this subject in the Chicago thread?

Old 11-29-2007, 04:22 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,636,328 times
Norwegians are great. Norwegian-American is not the same as Norwegian though. African-Americans and Hispanics in Minneapolis? There aren't many of them compared to other big cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
If you enjoy being surrounded by African-Americans, Hispanics and Norwegians who sit on the davenport during their cold winters discussing "one of them deals" you should move to Minneapolis. You betcha.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:55 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Norwegians are great. Norwegian-American is not the same as Norwegian though. African-Americans and Hispanics in Minneapolis? There aren't many of them compared to other big cities.
Big cities can very tremendously, and some (like Minneapolis) are simply a long distance from the areas where African-Americans and Hispanics lived initially within the US.

Look at the racial mix in Seattle, for example. It is similarly isolated geographically:
  • White Non-Hispanic (67.9%)
  • Black (8.4%)
  • Hispanic (5.3%)
  • Two or more races (4.5%)
  • Chinese (3.4%)
  • Filipino (2.8%)
  • Other race (2.4%)
  • Vietnamese (2.1%)
  • American Indian (2.1%)
  • Other Asian (1.8%)
  • Japanese (1.6%)
  • Korean (0.9%)
  • Asian Indian (0.5%)

For comparison, Minneapolis appears to be more diverse in some ways (and less in some ways) than Seattle:
  • White Non-Hispanic (62.5%)
  • Black (18.0%)
  • Hispanic (7.6%)
  • Two or more races (4.4%)
  • Other race (4.1%)
  • Other Asian (3.6%)
  • American Indian (3.3%)
  • Chinese (0.6%)
  • Vietnamese (0.6%)

In contrast, white folks seem to be a distinct minority in Atlanta:
  • Black (61.4%)
  • White Non-Hispanic (31.3%)
  • Hispanic (4.5%)
  • Other race (2.0%)
  • Two or more races (1.2%)
  • Asian Indian (0.6%)
  • American Indian (0.5%)

I'm surprised there are more Hispanics in Minneapolis than in Atlanta, but I'm sure if you compared the percentages in the entire metro there'd be more down here in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul