Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:08 PM

7 posts, read 35,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
Ok, lets put the sprawl question to rest with the results of a study (based on census data, land-area growth in urban areas and traffic congestion data) of cities with the worst urban sprawl according to the Sierra Club:
  1. Atlanta
  2. St. Louis
  3. Washington, D.C.
  4. Cincinnati
  5. Kansas City, Mo.
  6. Denver
  7. Seattle
  8. Minneapolis-St. Paul
  9. Fort Lauderdale
  10. Chicago
Too, too interesting. I grew up south of Kansas City, so it's nice to have that as a comparison point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 07:56 AM

97 posts, read 326,686 times
i am shocked charlotte didn't make the list. I think charlotte is worse as every city except atlanta

Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 PM

93 posts, read 367,462 times
I spent the first 23 years of my life in Minneapolis and I now live in Chicago the last 3.

Since you are posting this in a Minneapolis forum, you will be more favorable responses toward Minneapolis. Most of these people are judging based on their visit to chicago, I've lived and worked here quite a while and I would recommend chicago any day over minneapolis in every aspect.

Traffic: if you live in chicago, you don't drive. You save THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS by using public transportation, it's much more efficient, it's fast, it's safe. Minneapolis public trans SUCKS. The driving traffic may be better in the city, but the highway system in that area is poorly designed along people not knowing how to drive. I didn't really learn to drive until I drove on the Chicago expressway.

Crime: the nicer areas in Chicago are safer than the nice areas in Minneapolis. Why? Chicago is a HUGE city, 3 times the size of the twin cities. The bad areas are far away near other bad areas. All the good areas are all right by each other. Uptown in Minneapolis? People are being shot randomly on the street, bad areas are only a few miles away from the good, chicago has much better separation, and a LOT of cops around.

Affordability: Minneapolis wins, however, do you like money? Are you successful? Do you want to be successful? Much more business and career opportunity in Chicago. I couldn't find a job in Minneapolis for 9 months of searching. I now work for a fortune 500 company in downtown Chicago. Things cost more, but you get paid more. The scale tips in your favor here. You don't need a car, huge expense savings right there.

Community: Chicago is great, think of a central hub in the US that has thousands of young people gathering to meet other new young people and have fun. That is Chicago. Minneapolis is boring, there's a few bars in uptown/downtown, wow. I joined an inner city baseball team and met a ton of friends my age, I play in 2 flag football leagues (one male, one co-ed) 2 softball leagues, dodgeball, and pickup basketball at the local club. If there's something you like doing or thought of trying, you can do it in Chicago and find others who want to do it too. Much easier to meet new friends here. Minneapolis people our age are clicky and keep to their friends from high school and college. Not many opps to meet people who are looking for new friends. I've gained more friends in chicago in 3 years than I ever did in 20 years in Minneapolis.

A lot of it depends on the neighborhood you're in. Each one is different and it like it's own little small town. Find the neighborhood that fits you, and it's cheap and fast to travel to the other neighborhoods when you're in the mood.

For the OP, young single female, don't be stupid, Chicago is the place you want to be.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:36 AM

701 posts, read 1,708,346 times
I lived in Chicago for 7 years (4 in college) and moved to Minnesota 7 years ago.

In my opinion, if you don't live in Chicago you shouldn't bother living there. People from the 'burbs rarely came downtown and when they did it was a one-destination trip (i.e. the theatre) or just for work. To really benefit from being there you need to live there. I lived in Evanston for school, Lincoln Park, Printer's Row and then in East Village (now dubbed, South Bucktown).

We moved to Minneapolis because, while it is a city and offers plenty, it is manageable (less crime, traffic, lower cost of living, better schools). We miss the dining in Chicago but the Twin Cities have really improved in that area over the last few years.

If you are without children or single and can afford to live downtown Chicago it is definitely a neat experience. If you want to live somewhere that will meet your needs for all of life's phases, choose Minneapolis.

-Barbara

Old 01-27-2008, 01:49 PM

19 posts, read 59,802 times
minneapolis has an amazing thriving arts community. tons of theatre, indie film, local bands and music. many galleries. it's easy to get involved, where in chicago it seemed a bit insular.
i say minneapolis.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:22 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
Ok, lets put the sprawl question to rest with the results of a study (based on census data, land-area growth in urban areas and traffic congestion data) of cities with the worst urban sprawl according to the Sierra Club:
  1. Atlanta
  2. St. Louis
  3. Washington, D.C.
  4. Cincinnati
  5. Kansas City, Mo.
  6. Denver
  7. Seattle
  8. Minneapolis-St. Paul
  9. Fort Lauderdale
  10. Chicago
That list does not surprise me. Kansas City has HORRIBLE sprawl considering it has less population than other metro areas. Also, the metro area is divided by the state line (MO and KS) so that creates some issues.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraMN View Post
I lived in Chicago for 7 years (4 in college) and moved to Minnesota 7 years ago.

In my opinion, if you don't live in Chicago you shouldn't bother living there. People from the 'burbs rarely came downtown and when they did it was a one-destination trip (i.e. the theatre) or just for work. To really benefit from being there you need to live there. I lived in Evanston for school, Lincoln Park, Printer's Row and then in East Village (now dubbed, South Bucktown).

We moved to Minneapolis because, while it is a city and offers plenty, it is manageable (less crime, traffic, lower cost of living, better schools). We miss the dining in Chicago but the Twin Cities have really improved in that area over the last few years.

If you are without children or single and can afford to live downtown Chicago it is definitely a neat experience. If you want to live somewhere that will meet your needs for all of life's phases, choose Minneapolis.

-Barbara
I totally agree with this opinion. As a young individual without any strings attached, Chicago is an experiece you should take if you can afford it and find a decent job (which there are plenty). They say if you can't find a job in Chicago, you can't find a job anywhere.

As for the liberal arts community being insular or isolated I have a hard time understanding where that is coming from. Chicago is very broad in all areas and in all interests. Where I live alone has young business professionals, theatre, music scene, art galleries, as well as sports fans.

In no way is Chicago insular.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:14 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,525,155 times
On my observations and from what I've heard, Chicago has certainly more racial tension than MSP. Granted, even though I have visited often and spent 3 weeks there at one point, I have never lived in Chicago, where I have lived almost 6 years 1 hour or less from MSP.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
On my observations and from what I've heard, Chicago has certainly more racial tension than MSP. Granted, even though I have visited often and spent 3 weeks there at one point, I have never lived in Chicago, where I have lived almost 6 years 1 hour or less from MSP.
I don't know about this statement, there's no real way to gauge racial tension. I can tell you that Chicago has been a much more raciallyg and culturally diverse city far longer and on a much larger scale than Minneapolis.

Chicago has many different neighborhoods with many different cultures. People of different races being around is something everyone here has accepted. Chicago has it's neighborhoods, but everyone is still mixed in one big melting pot. I haven't experience any racial tension that I recall in the 3 years I've been here.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:13 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraMN View Post
In my opinion, if you don't live in Chicago you shouldn't bother living there. People from the 'burbs rarely came downtown and when they did it was a one-destination trip (i.e. the theatre) or just for work
Im confused why you think this? ALL of my friends and family live in the burbs and are in Chicago very frequently, and not just for dinner or the theatre. I myself am downtown a dozen times or more every year, and for the whole day. There is endless stuff to do in Chicago, and there are millions of suburbanites who take advantage of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul