Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:38 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,669,041 times

Advertisements

Minneapolis Is the New Gay - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 05/09/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Er, yah. Well, that's something to keep Mpls on the map, especially if the Vikings move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 02:08 PM

455 posts, read 1,117,837 times
I highly doubt that Minneapolis will be the new "Gay" if the bill passed and gay marriage is banned in MN. A lot of gay people will probably feel that why should such high taxes be paid to a state that doesn't support them.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:08 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,798,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
I highly doubt that Minneapolis will be the new "Gay" if the bill passed and gay marriage is banned in MN. A lot of gay people will probably feel that why should such high taxes be paid to a state that doesn't support them.
Gay people didn't leave California in droves due to prop 8 and its related controversy, and as far as I know they didn't flock to Iowa to live when they legalized gay marriage.

That said, I think the proposed gay marriage ban is terrible, and I think it could well hurt the city. It will certainly negatively impact a large percentage of our city residents, especially the nearly 13% who are GLBT. (along with the vast number of straight residents who want to see their family and friends have the full legal rights that come with civil marriage)

Old 05-11-2011, 03:39 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,669,400 times
I think they should put the issue to a vote as the right to marry will pass because most Minnesotans believe in the seperation of Church and State. Other than ones religious beliefs, I don't understand how one would be in support of denying people the right to marry, no matter what their orientation.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:54 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,428,514 times
It continues to be a hot topic in politics and it never ceases to amaze me how much non-gay people care whether or not gays can marry. As a heterosexual male I couldn't care less about the issue. If it is against your religion then great, don't recognize it as a marriage. Otherwise it has no effect on your life so get over it. Separation of church and state anyone?

Old 05-11-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
It continues to be a hot topic in politics and it never ceases to amaze me how much non-gay people care whether or not gays can marry. As a heterosexual male I couldn't care less about the issue. If it is against your religion then great, don't recognize it as a marriage. Otherwise it has no effect on your life so get over it. Separation of church and state anyone?
It matters to me because I do believe in separation of church and state, and because I feel that my gay and lesbian friends and family members should have access to the full legal rights as I do. I don't understand how someone could care strongly the other way, however; whether or not one's religion or church recognizes a marriage is entirely their business.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:07 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,062,136 times
Why on earth would we be so arrogant and self-pious as to put the civil rights of others to a popular vote?

I have yet to understand why the marriages of those on the political/religious right are so fragile as to be endangered by the marriages of other people.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:07 PM

23 posts, read 37,089 times
I just moved to San Francisco from Minneapolis and I think SF still wins the "Gayest City" title from what I've seen.

If there was the most naked city award it would also win. If it's warm out you'll see guys walking naked on Castro Street. I asked and nudity is not illegal in San Francisco so these guys like to enjoy that right.

So I guess you can't get married but you can walk around butt-naked. Weird indeed. I would prefer they legalize gay marriage and make sitting on a public bench naked illegal.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webzu View Post
I just moved to San Francisco from Minneapolis and I think SF still wins the "Gayest City" title from what I've seen.

If there was the most naked city award it would also win. If it's warm out you'll see guys walking naked on Castro Street. I asked and nudity is not illegal in San Francisco so these guys like to enjoy that right.

So I guess you can't get married but you can walk around butt-naked. Weird indeed. I would prefer they legalize gay marriage and make sitting on a public bench naked illegal.
I moved back to Minneapolis from San Francisco, and actually think Minneapolis is just as "gay," just in a different way. There's nothing like the Castro in Minneapolis, of course, but I think as far as everyday life I think Minneapolis actually comes out ahead. I assume that SF wins in terms of party and bar scene, and in having a flag-flying gay neighborhood, but it just seems more segregated there. And, for what it's worth, I've met more GLBT parents here, but some of that just might be because Minneapolis has more kids.

I agree 100% that San Francisco could easily win most naked city award, though!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:36 PM

455 posts, read 1,117,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Gay people didn't leave California in droves due to prop 8 and its related controversy, and as far as I know they didn't flock to Iowa to live when they legalized gay marriage.

That said, I think the proposed gay marriage ban is terrible, and I think it could well hurt the city. It will certainly negatively impact a large percentage of our city residents, especially the nearly 13% who are GLBT. (along with the vast number of straight residents who want to see their family and friends have the full legal rights that come with civil marriage)

Exactly, because California is still a beautiful place to live despite the politics. Iowa is still a cold and dreary place to live despite the politics. If the bill passes, cold and dreary MN won't have California sunshine to make it a place worth staying for gay people who want equal rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul