Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:51 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,751,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
If mercury light bulbs harm people (I don't necessarily disagree), then why are we being forced to buy mercury light bulbs instead of incandescent ones? How do incandescent ones harm you?

As for gay marriage... it harms the social institution of marriage. It disrupts the natural order. It confuses gender identity issues. It harms children. There is no logically defensible reason for redefining marriage to include the union of two men, but not to include polygamous marriages--so we are well on the way to just getting rid of "marriage" altogether (which some of you would go ahead and admit you think is a good idea, but others of you would probably shy away from).
How does it harm children? I think kids really benefit from having their parents be legally protected in the same ways that kids of straight parents enjoy.

Polygamy is a totally different situation. We're not talking about such huge changes here (although I have no problem with the religious aspects of polygamy, just don't know the logistics of recognizing complex relationships it at the government level, and since that's not on the table in Minnesota it's rather a moot point), but rather whether or not the people of Minnesota really should be attempting to ban all future marriage between two people of the same gender.

I have gay and lesbian family and friends. Their relationships have not hurt my (straight) marriage; we're celebrating 10 years now. If any of my children turn out to be gay I want them to have the same rights and protections as my husband and I have. And like it or not, gay and lesbians are a part of our community these days -- they make up nearly 13 percent of residents in Minneapolis (not sure about the state as a whole), and they're not going to suddenly go away or marry straight people (and it wouldn't be fair to the straight people if they did). Don't you have family or friends or coworkers who are in long-term, committed relationships? Are they any different than you? Shouldn't they have the legal protections that any other couple enjoys? You don't have to approve of their relationship. There are a lot of things in life that I don't approve of myself, but I don't want the government stepping in to tell me what I can and can't do when it has no impact on anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 11:01 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,751,320 times
And you realize that there is no "religious" position on this, right? That is, the only reasons to ban gay marriage are based on religious arguments, but as far as people who are religious there is no one viewpoint on this. Many of our local churches perform religious ceremonies for GLBT couples, for example. This is not an issue of people who are "religious" (of whatever faith or denomination) versus those who are not.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:06 AM

455 posts, read 638,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Are they any different than you? Shouldn't they have the legal protections that any other couple enjoys? You don't have to approve of their relationship. There are a lot of things in life that I don't approve of myself, but I don't want the government stepping in to tell me what I can and can't do when it has no impact on anyone else.
I'm confused--are they different or aren't they? I thought the whole point was that they were different--and they couldn't change.

The people do have the same "legal protections." And I don't approve of the relationships, but I also don't want the government stepping in and telling them they can't have that relationship. That is not the issue. I keep saying that, but it's like nobody is listening. I understand that you want more than mere state acquiescence in the relationship--you want state endorsement of the relationship. That's your prerogative, but you need to stop confusing the issue.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
And you realize that there is no "religious" position on this, right? That is, the only reasons to ban gay marriage are based on religious arguments, but as far as people who are religious there is no one viewpoint on this. Many of our local churches perform religious ceremonies for GLBT couples, for example. This is not an issue of people who are "religious" (of whatever faith or denomination) versus those who are not.
Yes. I understand that. That is closely related to my point about religion influencing people's participation in government. Religion is a slippery concept, and trying to say that "religion" cannot influence public policy is darn near idiotic.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:13 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,385,824 times
Quote:
Yes. I understand that. That is closely related to my point about religion influencing people's participation in government. Religion is a slippery concept, and trying to say that "religion" cannot influence public policy is darn near idiotic.
She isn't saying it can't, but just that it shouldn't. What part of separation of church and state don't you understand?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:19 AM
cl4

36 posts, read 58,355 times
Please stop feeding the Troll.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
She isn't saying it can't, but just that it shouldn't. What part of separation of church and state don't you understand?
Amend my previous sentence to say "shouldn't" instead of "cannot." I understand it. I also think I understand what you mean when you try to whip out "separation of church and state" whenever people disagree with you.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:25 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,662,103 times
Quote:
So if a majority of Minnesota happened to be of the Muslim faith, would it be okay for religion to influence the goverment then? Impose shira law. After all, a majority of the residents would be against eating pork, even though it does not harm anyone, but no pork for you.
A slippery concept indeed.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
So if a majority of Minnesota happened to be of the Muslim faith, would it be okay for religion to influence the goverment then? Impose shira law. After all, a majority of the residents would be against eating pork, even though it does not harm anyone, but no pork for you.
A slippery concept indeed.
Your nonreligion is itself a religious point of view. What's hard to understand about that?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:47 AM

679 posts, read 1,803,685 times
but no pork for you

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul