Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:18 AM

455 posts, read 639,089 times

Advertisements

OK. So much to respond to... I'll try to hit everything.

First of all, forgive me if you think I am out of line, but these posts seem to continue to display arrogance. And the arrogance relates to a liberal worldview. So I continue to think that I was justified in referring to liberal arrogance. (Aren't you types supposed to be "tolerant" and "nonjudgmental"--or is that just for people who think like you?)

Second, the obligatory jab at the South... I would expect nothing less from you all. But you really shouldn't make fun of people for incest or beastiality--they don't choose to be like that, after all.

Third, why I am opposed... It is clear that people are designed for men to have sex with women, not with men (body parts, procreation, etc.). The state can have a legitimate interest in encouraging only marriage between one man and one woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 08:34 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,391,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
The state can have a legitimate interest in encouraging only marriage between one man and one woman.
That may be true, but why would you want to encourage gay people into heterosexual marriages unless your goal was to increase the nation's divorce rate or to make people more miserable? The state should have a more legitimate interest in the overall happiness of its populace....hence, letting gay people be gay.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,758,141 times
Quote:
OK. So much to respond to... I'll try to hit everything.

First of all, forgive me if you think I am out of line, but these posts seem to continue to display arrogance. And the arrogance relates to a liberal worldview. So I continue to think that I was justified in referring to liberal arrogance. (Aren't you types supposed to be "tolerant" and "nonjudgmental"--or is that just for people who think like you?)

Second, the obligatory jab at the South... I would expect nothing less from you all. But you really shouldn't make fun of people for incest or beastiality--they don't choose to be like that, after all.

Third, why I am opposed... It is clear that people are designed for men to have sex with women, not with men (body parts, procreation, etc.). The state can have a legitimate interest in encouraging only marriage between one man and one woman.
I still don't understand how this is arrogance. I don't care what people think about gay people in their own private lives, but what business is it of the government?

And while perhaps you and your religious beliefs, whatever they may be, understand marriage primarily in terms of procreation and sex, but that's the religious view, not the civil. I'm more concerned about families and couples having the legal protections that come with civil marriage. I don't care about what people are doing or are not doing when it come to their sex life (as long as it's consensual and only involves adults), but the marriage debate has little, if anything, about sex. How would it possibly help the state to force so many couples and families to live without the protections that other straight couples enjoy? It's not good for the couples, it's not good for their kids (and yes, gay couples DO have children), it's not good for our society as a whole. Having two classes of citizens with different rules, based SOLELY on whether or not they are in a relationship with someone of the same or different gender, has no benefit to society as a whole, and destabilizes our community. Gay people aren't suddenly going to go away, much as you might prefer that they do.

If the government is going to recognize marriage then they need to do so for gay couples, too. Or just change everything so that the government ONLY recognizes civil unions. And again, churches have absolutely no requirement that THEY have to recognize the a marriage between two gay people if it goes against their beliefs. They have (and should have) that right. The state, however, is a different story.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:41 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,180,930 times
It's funny to see when someone says gay that they assume it's only men, news flash there are just as many gay women.

How does it effect a strait couple if a gay couple gets married?

Just because you think or know it's wrong to be gay how does it change the fact that it does not effect you.

Being gay is not right for me but who am I to say what is right for you?

Are you so scared that if a gay person hit on you that you would not be able to say no?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:04 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,662,975 times
Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs, of course, but the level of liberal arrogance in this thread is nauseating.
Exactly, everyone is entitled to their OWN opinions and beliefs. Just don't use the government to force your opinons and belifes on the rights of others.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:06 AM

411 posts, read 993,571 times
Quote:
So a marriage that does not consist of traditional sexual practices is not really a marriage? What if a man with no genitalia marries a woman? Is their marriage not valid?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Exactly, everyone is entitled to their OWN opinions and beliefs. Just don't use the government to force your opinons and belifes on the rights of others.
What exactly do you think democratic government is?

Do you sing a different tune when you tell me I have to use mercury light bulbs?

Last edited by southernsmoke; 05-12-2011 at 10:18 AM..

Old 05-12-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
That may be true, but why would you want to encourage gay people into heterosexual marriages unless your goal was to increase the nation's divorce rate or to make people more miserable? The state should have a more legitimate interest in the overall happiness of its populace....hence, letting gay people be gay.
... because government's primary interest is always letting people do whatever they want to do--which is why I am sure you advocate the eradication of all laws.

But even so, your point confuses the issue. I am not suggesting criminalizing gay relationships. Marriage is a different thing entirely.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I still don't understand how this is arrogance. I don't care what people think about gay people in their own private lives, but what business is it of the government?

And while perhaps you and your religious beliefs, whatever they may be, understand marriage primarily in terms of procreation and sex, but that's the religious view, not the civil. I'm more concerned about families and couples having the legal protections that come with civil marriage. I don't care about what people are doing or are not doing when it come to their sex life (as long as it's consensual and only involves adults), but the marriage debate has little, if anything, about sex. How would it possibly help the state to force so many couples and families to live without the protections that other straight couples enjoy? It's not good for the couples, it's not good for their kids (and yes, gay couples DO have children), it's not good for our society as a whole. Having two classes of citizens with different rules, based SOLELY on whether or not they are in a relationship with someone of the same or different gender, has no benefit to society as a whole, and destabilizes our community. Gay people aren't suddenly going to go away, much as you might prefer that they do.

If the government is going to recognize marriage then they need to do so for gay couples, too. Or just change everything so that the government ONLY recognizes civil unions. And again, churches have absolutely no requirement that THEY have to recognize the a marriage between two gay people if it goes against their beliefs. They have (and should have) that right. The state, however, is a different story.
As a preliminary note: characterizing my beliefs as "religious" does not delegitimize them any more than me characterizing yours as antireligious would delegitimize them.

Second, marriage is a covenant between a man and a woman. You want to try to redefine a pre-existing institution... and you are the one talking about destabilization? Marriage (between one man and one woman), aside from being the natural order of things, is also a stabilizing social force--and has been for a very long time.

And I take it that your position is that as long as the government makes no distinction between relationships between two men/three men/two women/two gals and a dude/etc., that private parties can go about doing as they please--i.e., not recognizing gay relationships. Can a wedding photographer choose to photograph only traditional weddings? Can a church refuse to hire a gay person? Can a business owner refuse to hire a gay person? Where are you trying to take this exactly?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:20 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,662,975 times
Quote:
What exactly do you think democratic government is?

Do you sing a different tune when you tell me I have to use mercury light bulbs?
Mercury light bulbs may harm people. How does a gay couple getting married harm you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul