Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:34 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,688,667 times

Advertisements

How do I find the census numbers for individual cities? I'd like to see how Baxter, Brainerd, and other mid-sized cities did
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 11:39 AM

1,936 posts, read 5,839,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Racist, for sure! JK, probably because their kids are moving to the suburbs and they want to follow them or something. It's not so much "white flight", unless someone is specifically moving away because they don't want to live next to another person of color. Instead, if somebody decides to move because they don't like the crime or schools, or their kids have families in the suburbs, then I don't consider that "flight". Also, St. Paul is still a mecca for immigrants, so as older (white) people die or move on, younger immigrant families often take their places.

In a nutshell, I think it's empty-nesters and elderly leading the charge.
I wasn't implying that the increased numbers of persons of color to B.C. or B.P. related to urban-suburban white (or persons of color) flight, I was saying that the overall percentage of white persons in B.P. seemed much lower than I remember it to be. Granted, B.P. has had some significant growth, so it's possible all of this growth was related to persons of color moving in, but I would assume based on the 2010 percentages that a number of white people are leaving the area as well (which I suppose could relate to your arguments above)- I guess we can't say for certain unless someone looks up 2000 data.

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 03-17-2011 at 11:51 AM..

Old 03-17-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Where is this suburb by suburb data? I only see the top 20 cities!!
American FactFinder Click on "Minnesota" if it's not already populated. If this link doesn't work, click on a "Back to Search" link and click on something ending in "2010 - State - Place".

Old 03-17-2011, 01:52 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,413,225 times
For those who want to know, non-Hispanic whites made up 70.3% of Brooklyn Park's population in 2000. Now it's 50.1% white, so I'm sure whites are now a minority in the city since it's 2011.

Brooklyn Center is 45.9% non-Hispanic whites, down from 70.4% in 2000.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:06 PM

865 posts, read 2,503,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
For those who want to know, non-Hispanic whites made up 70.3% of Brooklyn Park's population in 2000. Now it's 50.1% white, so I'm sure whites are now a minority in the city since it's 2011.

Brooklyn Center is 45.9% non-Hispanic whites, down from 70.4% in 2000.
Your point being?

You seem to insinuate in this and one other thread that there is something wrong or bad about an increased minority presence in some Twin cities neighbor hoods.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Your point being?

You seem to insinuate in this and one other thread that there is something wrong or bad about an increased minority presence in some Twin cities neighbor hoods.
To be fair he might have been responding to one of my earlier posts, roneb, although I agree with your summation above and feel the need to give a disclaimer that any of my posts related to this topic are coming purely from a sociological interest/fascination (and past studies I have done related to 'white flight'), and are not meant to in way shape or form imply anything negative about either B.C. or B.P.- in fact, I'm often the one telling people how ridiculous they are for their irrational fears/perceptions or overstated crime concerns related to both of these suburbs. I think it's great that there are diverse, integrated suburbs in MN, and am a little saddened/disappointed by history repeating itself with the significant decline in white population in these suburbs over just 10 years (in the sense of "why are white people so afraid to live in integrated areas??")- the crime stats don't justify the flight, and I've never seen a reliable indicator related to school concerns.

Let's face it folks, saying "I wouldn't recommend x area because of 'crime' and/or 'schools'" has really just become code for "a lot of minorities live there" (well, at least here in MN), even when a big proportion of the minorities being referenced are middle class, as is the case with B.P. ....and this happens all the time on this forum.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Your point being?

I've never said, "Minorities moving into neighborhoods is a bad thing" or something along those lines. Stop putting words into my mouth. I just don't like it when people complain and disparage predominantly white areas because they're not "diverse enough"...whatever that means.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:58 PM

351 posts, read 797,926 times
link for city pop stats 2010 US Census News & Data - USATODAY.com
Rochester would have to get fairly dense in its 39 sq miles border in order to surpass st Paul in population.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
How do I find the census numbers for individual cities? I'd like to see how Baxter, Brainerd, and other mid-sized cities did
Just go to the new American Factfinder page and type in the city's name.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:11 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,688,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Just go to the new American Factfinder page and type in the city's name.

Even though the * says that * = no data for 2010 census?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul