Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 06:22 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times

Advertisements

As the title says, how long before I move do I need to be looking at signing a lease to have a good pick of apartments? My wife and daughter and I will be moving up in late June or early July, but we're still unsure where my wife will be working. Are there generally places available on pretty short notice, or will I be in trouble if we haven't got a place lined up by early April?

Waiting for my wife's employment to shake out would be preferable, both in terms of knowing where in town to look, and because our budget would be a bit higher if we knew for sure she had a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 06:39 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,174 times
I've always tried to line up an apartment as early as possible, but it doesn't always work out that way. The shortest amount of time I've ever had between making contact with an apartment company and renting was about a week (this was a sublet, and the place sucked, and I only stayed there until the lease already in progress ran out). The longest time I've ever had was like 5 months, and it was an okay place in a really nice and convenient part of Marcy-Holmes. I knew I wanted to live in that area, which is why I jumped on the apartment so early.

Most landlords require either 30 or 60 days notice (with some 90) to move out. Which means the bulk of apartments that are worth renting will get scooped up several weeks before the previous tenant moved out - unless it needs some kind of serious renovations.

If you're planning to move in on, say, July 1st, I would do my most intense searching around the beginning to middle of May. However, if you're going to be utilizing something like craiglist, it'll be good to keep an eye on the listings for a while beforehand, in my opinion. That way you can get a feel of which apartments are showing up over and over again (and know there is probably a reason nobody is taking them, and not waste your time). And you can get an idea of how much an apartment similar to what you're looking for is typically going for, so you know you're not getting taken advantage of. And maybe you'll even see something that's right for you and you'll get a pretty stressful task taken care of earlier.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:51 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times
Thanks FBR, that's good advice. My wife should have an interview or two in March that might clear things up a bunch, so getting things set up in April or early May should be possible.

Where I live now is such a college town that almost all leases start on Aug. 1st, and if you haven't signed by mid-February, the pickings get pretty slim.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:55 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
Thanks FBR, that's good advice. My wife should have an interview or two in March that might clear things up a bunch, so getting things set up in April or early May should be possible.

Where I live now is such a college town that almost all leases start on Aug. 1st, and if you haven't signed by mid-February, the pickings get pretty slim.
Keep in mind that if you want to move in late June, you'll probably have to sign a lease starting on June 1st.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:44 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
OP - You can start looking as early as you want. My experience in moving is that often complexes don't know what they will have available until a month or two before you want to move in.

I was able to look in June and line up an end of July move. And you won't necessarily have to sign starting on the 1st. Depending on what they have available, you may be able to just pay pro-rated days for the end of June and have your '12 month' lease start July 1st. (Tell them what day you want to sign a lease (i.e. June 25th) and they should be accomodating...if they know a renter will take the apt, most places will hold it for the rest of the month til you're ready to move)

From what I can tell, a lot of apartments (depends on the area/prices you are looking for) are begging for renters - so you shouldn't have any problem finding a nice apt starting when you want.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:15 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
You could always get temporary housing - depending on your specific needs though pricey it might be worth it. Symphony place on 11th and Marquette is one that's popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul