Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:08 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times

Advertisements

You're assuming all white people are better off when you say that, which is generalizing.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:16 AM

987 posts, read 3,819,039 times
I'm not, I'm saying the interview reveals a lot. You can tell the GenXers from those who grew up in the age of entitlement and those who really worked hard to get where they were.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:27 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I completely disagree! I feel that some places like Target or Best Buy will hire a minority with similar credentials over someone who is white. I'm sure it depends on the company, but I also think it depends on your perspective. The grass truly is always greener on the other side.
It's not "the other side" for me. But the companies you list and Golfgal's point that her experience was for higher-level professional positions is a good distinction- even if there are times and occassions when large corporations feel the need to make an affirmative action hire (where candidates are, as you stated, similarly credentialed), this is usually only after they realize that they've disproportionately been hiring white people- granted, finding qualified minority candidates for high-level professional corporate positions may be something requiring a concerted effort here in MN due to its overall low amount of diversity.

However, higher-level professional corporate positions that perform affirmative action hires of persons of color with high levels of education, experience, etc. is not only usually just leveling the playing field, but it's a separate ball of wax than the type of hiring that happens for many other sectors and at many other levels (although I would argue that even within the Targets they have certain preferences for particular ethnic groups or outward appearances with some of their hires). An unemployed white person with a HS diploma and some experience in MN is going to be hired for an entry-level job far sooner than an unemployed person of color with a HS diploma (and/or some college) and related experience. I've seen this happen quite frequently in MN, and many matched-pair national studies confirm that white applicants in general have an easier time finding employment (or housing, or whatever else) comparative to their similarly credentialed/situated black counterparts.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:48 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
That's because a lot of times the minority has achieved so much with so much less. It comes out in the interview.
Maybe yes, maybe no. I look at the kids in our high school, one boy in particular, who is an amazing kid, very modest but has accomplished so much in his short life. I am secretly hoping our DD marries this boy . He has also had the love and support (both financially and emotionally) from his family. In no discredit to him because he is an amazing kid, he hasn't had that "hard" of a life overall. There is also a girl in our high school who again, amazing kid, highly accomplished, but really hasn't had any more difficult of a life then the rest of the student body as a whole. Another girl got recognized for having one of the 'top scores for minorities on the PSAT". She was actually somewhat offended that she was singled out like that. Overall she was a commended scholar for the PSAT and she was happy with that. Honestly, most of the minorities you see in the suburbs are pretty solid middle/upper middle class families-just like the non-minorities.

Now, a child coming out of the "projects' who was orphaned at a young age...whatever is a different case but on the whole, the situation you are talking about isn't all THAT common.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:57 PM

It's not "the other side" for me. But the companies you list and Golfgal's point that her experience was for higher-level professional positions is a good distinction- even if there are times and occassions when large corporations feel the need to make an affirmative action hire (where candidates are, as you stated, similarly credentialed), this is usually only after they realize that they've disproportionately been hiring white people- granted, finding qualified minority candidates for high-level professional corporate positions may be something requiring a concerted effort here in MN due to its overall low amount of diversity.

I understand this, but it doesn't make it right or help anyone in the long run.

However, higher-level professional corporate positions that perform affirmative action hires of persons of color with high levels of education, experience, etc. is not only usually just leveling the playing field, but it's a separate ball of wax than the type of hiring that happens for many other sectors and at many other levels (although I would argue that even within the Targets they have certain preferences for particular ethnic groups or outward appearances with some of their hires). An unemployed white person with a HS diploma and some experience in MN is going to be hired for an entry-level job far sooner than an unemployed person of color with a HS diploma (and/or some college) and related experience. I've seen this happen quite frequently in MN, and many matched-pair national studies confirm that white applicants in general have an easier time finding employment (or housing, or whatever else) comparative to their similarly credentialed/situated black counterparts.

Like I said, it certainly depends on your perspective and perhaps the industry as well. I've heard all kinds of stories from every different perspective, and it's always the same: it's because of this, that or the other -- not me.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I'm not, I'm saying the interview reveals a lot. You can tell the GenXers from those who grew up in the age of entitlement and those who really worked hard to get where they were.
Who said anything about the interview? I'm talking at the application level. I agree, the interview is a make-or-break point for anybody, and your resume essentially goes out the window and anything can happen. Good for anyone who can conquer the interview!

Old 01-30-2011, 04:11 PM

987 posts, read 3,819,039 times
Quote:
Who said anything about the interview? I'm talking at the application level. I agree, the interview is a make-or-break point for anybody, and your resume essentially goes out the window and anything can happen. Good for anyone who can conquer the interview!
What? Are you required to check a box that says minority on the application?

Old 01-30-2011, 04:39 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Not required but a lot of applications gather this information on a voluntary basis.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Have you ever applied to Target or Best Buy?????

Yes, sometimes. Or they say it's "optional", but I doubt you get considered if you don't parttake.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:19 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times
Quote:
Have you ever applied to Target or Best Buy?????

Yes, sometimes. Or they say it's "optional", but I doubt you get considered if you don't parttake.
College applications ask this as well
http://www.mnscu.edu/students/applic...pplication.pdf

And a number of other things do as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul