Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:11 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,764,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Again, if we use "diverse" with it's proper definition, the Twin Cities is AS diverse as anywhere. Diverse means "different". No where in the definition does it state that it can only be diverse if only a certain percentage of a group lives in an area. Yes, we are still a mostly Caucasian area, however that does not mean we are not a diverse state. Some people here confuse that fact quite often. Diverse doesn't mean majority minorities...
I think it's a major reach to suggest that by any definition of the term Minnesota is AS diverse as anywhere. I agree that diversity can't be strictly defined by specific percentages, but it's pretty silly to argue, for example, that the Twin Cities is AS diverse as many other major metro area in the country. And no one here has said anything about "majority minorities." I think that's where some of the confusion is coming from; it's not just about white people and everyone else. I think some posters think of it like that.

The most diverse area I've ever lived in was about a quarter white, a quarter Asian, a quarter black, and a quarter Hispanic, with a wide range of diversity within those categories (people of different ages, different ethnic backgrounds, different socioeconomic backgrounds, etc.) I don't think there are any neighborhoods that come close to that level of diversity in the Twin Cities. Not that that means that the Twin Cities AREN'T diverse -- I think they are. It's just that people are fooling themselves if they think that the Twin Cities' diversity is anywhere near what you find in many other places. If, say, a school with 100 kids had 90 kids of one race and 10 kids of various other races diverse, would you? Well, maybe you would, but I wouldn't, and I certainly wouldn't say that it was AS diverse as a school with larger numbers of more different backgrounds. I don't think most people would. (to be fair, I also don't think racial diversity alone is a fair look at diversity, either; a racially or ethnically diverse school where all the kids are from the same socioeconomic background is lacking in some diversity, too. Diversity comes in different forms.)

I think the Twin Cities are diverse, but I think it's pretty laughable for people to believe that the area comes close to comparing to some of the country's other big cities when it comes to diversity. I think it's changing, and that time will come (especially since the Twin Cities are really a port of entry for so many incoming immigrants), but to suggest otherwise requires a very creative interpretation and definition of what it means to be a diverse metro area.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul