Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 03:39 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times

Advertisements

I have never heard of Minneapolis being racist in any way, and I'm from the midwest. Racism is everywhere unfortunately as ignorant people can live anywhere. So what though? You should instead ask yourself if the place can allow you to make your fortune and live in the manner of your choosing. Instead of asking if an entire city is racist, wonder whether the city is the type of place that would attract people who are as dynamic and interesting as you are, a place that would allow you to maintain your values, be comfortable, and thrive. Why focus on the most ignorant segment of an area?

Old 08-22-2010, 05:39 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
Quote:
Care to share what patronizing attitude it was that offended you and you percieved as racism?
Spoken like a true Dr. Laura fan.

Yeah, Minnesota is racist, and it's getting worse rather than better with the flame-baiting of talk radio and propaganda "news" stations. America needs to do some serious soul searching, but instead it continues the bad old forms of its past.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:15 PM

302 posts, read 726,733 times
Sadly there are racists everywhere (basically just ignorant people usually with low self-esteem). I'm white and from L.A. and in an odd way it seems there is LESS racism here than there?? Go figure. Maybe it's just more noticeable out there (race relations/divisions)? I don't know. I DO think that in some rural areas of Minnesota, you might experience people who have mostly only known "white" people, so they might be unfamiliar with people of other cultures. Doesn't mean they're racist...they just haven't traveled much. We had an intern at work who had just moved to Minneapolis from a really small farm community and she told me she had "never known a black person". I could not imagine this as I've always had black friends (and friends of other ethnicities) so this was sad to me?...but she wasn't racist because of this...just unfamiliar.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:47 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
Minneapolis is not racist. It's the most liberal city in the midwest, with the possible exception of Madison, so there is a large acceptance of people of other cultures/ethnicities/lifestyles, etc. Midtown Minneapolis has a large Hispanic community with a lot of businesses along Lake Street.
So? Aren't there racists in both political leanings?

Old 08-23-2010, 03:48 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Spoken like a true Dr. Laura fan.

Yeah, Minnesota is racist, and it's getting worse rather than better with the flame-baiting of talk radio and propaganda "news" stations. America needs to do some serious soul searching, but instead it continues the bad old forms of its past.
You're generalizing 5.3 million people.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:04 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,239,725 times
Ask yourself this...
If you brought a black partner home what would your parents think?

Now answer the racism question.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:12 AM

302 posts, read 726,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
Ask yourself this...

And?.... I don't understand where your question is going? Yes, two white parents might not be happy if their daughter brings home a black man. This just means her parents have issues. But I have a black friend who married a white man and HER two black parents were very against her marrying a white man while his family loved and happily accepted her...SHE made their son happy and that was all that mattered.

Every race has racists. Bottom line - racism is ignorance.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:48 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
Ask yourself this...

Think about what

Old 08-23-2010, 07:22 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Sure, there are some racist people in Minneapolis, but a small number of racists does not mean the entire city or metro area is racist. Racist behavior is certainly not the norm, and is not tolerated or accepted by the vast, vast majority of residents. It also has a long history of being a center of interracial marriages, dating back to the time when it was illegal in many other parts of the country. Many of my friends have parents of different races, and many of my friends have married people from other races/ethnicities (and most have dated someone outside of their own race/ethnicity at some point). I don't think it's that unusual or that most people have any issues with it.

Minneapolis does have a history of religious discrimination; historically, anyway, it had a reputation for its anti-semitism. In more recent times there's been some anti-Muslim and anti-immigrant rhetoric out there, although I don't know if it's any more or any less than other cities in the country.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 08-23-2010 at 08:08 AM..

Old 08-23-2010, 03:45 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
So? Aren't there racists in both political leanings?
Both sides have extremists on many levels. I tend to think some elements of racism are generational (I know a lot more older folks who seem to have issues with that sort of thing), and some political parties seem to cater more to an older demographic for better or worse, but there isn't really a direct correlation between parties and racism, I don't think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul