Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 05:28 PM

69 posts, read 178,598 times

Advertisements

I would like to know in what nice cloud in Miami are you living.
Everything she said is true. Horrendous is what best describes
Miami. Remember Tom Tancredo? Read his essay about Miami,
and then comeback and tell me all the good things Miami has.
Miami is $hit hole at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLee1 View Post
Wow, wow and wow. Moderator cut: Personal Attacks Not Allowed Most of the things you mentioned are included and part of every MAJOR BIG city: Traffic, rude people (some), bad tempered people (some), overcrowed (some areas), expressway sucks (which I have no idea what you are talking about). Welcome to the city life

Some things you mentioned are straight up ignorant: It feels like you're in Cuba or in my country's ghetto (100% incorrect and ignorant), there's nothing to do besides nightlife (what!? where do you live and what do you WANT to do? there's everything to do in Miami), full of superficial folks (every rich area has some people like that, so just like NYC, there is going to be some of those in the richest areas), most Miamians are very low cultured (WTF? again welcome to the city life having to do with rude people, but ummm besides a few people from the ghetto, everyone here has manners and is respectful).

The rest is incorrect: Low pay jobs (that's untrue, it is lower than let's say NYC, BUT NYC is a heck of a lot more expensive than Miami so everything balances out), lack of opportunaties (what!? are you serious? there's probably more opportunaties here than most places because of everything that goes on here), high cost of living (I still have no idea what you or the other people that have said that are talking about), climate sucks (we have the best climate in the country, if you want cold move up north), and no mountains (true, but who cares, if you want live somewhere just because of mountains than go somewhere else, simple).

Old 03-26-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
If Marina is making an "average" wage of $10-30 K a year ... then no wonder he/she hates it down here .... actually on those wages you will hate pretty much any big city in the US .
I make enough in Miami, and I really hate it with a passion. Miami doesn't
make sense for anybody who is used to a nice quality of life.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:36 PM

All stats in regards to Miami are usually really low.
Miami is third in crime behind Las Vegas, and Detroit. Low mediam income,
if you really think about it $35k seems about right. Not counting Miami Beach. Only the city of Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
Did you guys not even read my post???? I'm arguing that there are people that make good money in Miami.

The numbers I posted were from the 2000 U.S. Census and yes they are probably higher now. I used them to make a point. Many people keep quoting the low numbers I posted so I was showing how even though these numbers are low most people are using them as AVERAGES and NOT the MEDIAN which they are.

From 2000 U.S. Census the MEDIAN for Miami-Dade is $35k. I specifically said that the AVERAGE is around $50k (the census does not report average). Also the MEDIAN for just Miami was $23k. This is why you get people making these absurd claims. I then tried to explain the difference between the MEDIAN and the AVERAGE?

The MEDIAN is the MIDPOINT or MIDDLE.

The AVERAGE is when you add all the salaries and then divide by the total number of salaries.

Because the people above the MEDIAN or MIDPOINT make so much more than the people below the MEDIAN, the AVERAGE is a lot higher than the median. SIMPLY put the MEDIAN is pushed down from the large number of low paying jobs in Miami.

So if you are looking for an unskilled job then yes you should be worried about pay. But for the rest of the people looking for skilled jobs wages are not that bad.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:01 PM
R66

145 posts, read 419,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaK View Post
All stats in regards to Miami are usually really low. Miami is third in crime behind Las Vegas, and Detroit. Low mediam income, if you really think about it $35k seems about right. Not counting Miami Beach. Only the city of Miami.

Br, Miami is not tha bad... u got an axe to grind?

Old 03-27-2010, 04:01 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
if you don't like hot weather , you complain about miami.

it seems like people move to miami thinking its like hawaii... small laid back town with a beach.. ITS NOT.

It is a large city, just like Chicago, LA, Houston.. and it has all the things associated with a big city such as crime, traffic, many people, foreigners and crazy people. If you can't handle these things don't come here. If you are used to the cities I listed above, Miami will be much more laid back than these places and you'll be surprised.. but if you are coming from a smaller town... don't expect miami to be anything similar. If you can't handle a big city just don't come.

Miami is a great place to live, if you can realize what it is.. and accept it for what it is you'll be a very happy person

Old 03-27-2010, 06:48 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Lets be nice to one another. Please remember that we all have different likes and views about Miami and we need to respect differing views than our own.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:55 AM

79 posts, read 76,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
if you don't like hot weather , you complain about miami.

it seems like people move to miami thinking its like hawaii... small laid back town with a beach.. ITS NOT.

It is a large city, just like Chicago, LA, Houston.. and it has all the things associated with a big city such as crime, traffic, many people, foreigners and crazy people. If you can't handle these things don't come here. If you are used to the cities I listed above, Miami will be much more laid back than these places and you'll be surprised.. but if you are coming from a smaller town... don't expect miami to be anything similar. If you can't handle a big city just don't come.

Miami is a great place to live, if you can realize what it is.. and accept it for what it is you'll be a very happy person
What bugs me is when people adopt the attitude that if you don't like Miami (or any particular city), there must be something wrong with you. That's utter nonsense. While you may find Miami a great place to live, others will feel the opposite. That doesn't make those people miserable. Having lived in Miami myself, I was accused of being miserable too when in reality, I just didn't like Miami and didn't enjoy living there.

My own opinion on living Miami is that you need to be naturally outgoing and you need to have a very thick skin and you have to be able to enjoy the fairly limited amount of things to do (for such a large urban area). You also have to be relatively oblivious to the problems of living in that area, many of which are solely Miami problems and are not problems you will find to such a large extent in other cities.

For the record, I never thought Miami was like Hawaii. However, I wasn't expecting such a large number of abrasive, highly self-centered people, although I was prepared for the materialism and superficiality (it's Miami FFS, not small town Iowa).

Old 03-28-2010, 08:06 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Likes - the people are so friendly and welcoming. The courtesy others have for one another when driving. People hold the doors open for eachother, etc. In Miami, it's not about what you have or what you own, it's what's on the inside that counts.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:57 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaK View Post
All stats in regards to Miami are usually really low.
Miami is third in crime behind Las Vegas, and Detroit. Low mediam income,
if you really think about it $35k seems about right. Not counting Miami Beach. Only the city of Miami.
Ok then do your self and all of us on this forum a favor and move .. good luck

Old 03-28-2010, 09:59 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Likes - the people are so friendly and welcoming. The courtesy others have for one another when driving. People hold the doors open for eachother, etc. In Miami, it's not about what you have or what you own, it's what's on the inside that counts.
Don't you get tired of posting the same stuff and over and over again .... you do not even live in South Florida .... things must be slow in Orlando
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami