Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:10 AM

796 posts, read 1,842,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLee1 View Post
Well, I don't know if the first things you put are fact so I'm not going to comment on that. BUT, I don't know about Central or North Florida, but in South Florida, the gas is cheapest in Miami (and Miami-Dade County)

And while I can't say the last thing you said is fact or not, other cities in the country are more expensive than Miami, but you earn more so it balances everything out. Miami cheaper than NYC but you get paid a little more in NYC than Miami, so everything is balanced out. THAT'S FACT.
NYC is very expensive, and while you get paid a lot more there for an equivalent job, many New Yorkers do not live in, say, the glamorous parts of Manhattan because they can't afford it. There are cities where not only do you earn more, but most everything is less expensive...several mid-sized to larger cities in Texas come to mind....

Old 03-22-2010, 09:21 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Lets please stay on topic. The topic is about Miami.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:04 AM

470 posts, read 1,193,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Florida in general is still much less expensive than the other top and most desirable areas of the US, like the northeast and California.

The best parts of Miami are still around 10% more expensive than the best parts of Broward County and Palm Beach County.

In my view, while the southern tip of Florida is the only major US region that enjoys a tropical climate, Miami is better than other cities and towns of the region, and the entire US for that matter, because of its geographical position, its international demographics and business, its non-Anglo cultural influences, and simply because there is a lot more to do culturally and entertainment-wise than in some of the more sleepy towns and cities further north.

I think real estate buy prices are not so bad right now, and along with that property taxes have retreated to more manageable levels.

But the real budget busters remain insurance and other maintenance costs.

Yes, Brickell/downtown and that pocket in Dadeland are nice. However, I find in general that urban condos are a relatively new concept in the US and, despite the housing boom of the mid-2000s, US architects and builders still do not know how to organize space properly like they do in Europe and South America (can't speak for Asia and Australia).

The housing boom went bust in many regions of the US in general, and Miami condos in particular, obviously because of the way it was financed, but urban condos may not be a stable investment for still a significant period of time in part also because of structural errors such as very high built-in maintenance costs and at times just horrid spatial design.

It often appears that these designers and builders had only speculation in mind and have no idea of how human beings actually live in space available in a dwelling.

Housing in the US, and in Miami in particular, is still inadequate.

Therefore, the positives are geographical position, including climate, relatively less expensive than other highly desirable areas of the US (though more expensive than other areas of southeastern Florida), international business and culture, including education, wide range of cultural venues and entertainment relative to its geographical position (southeast US - with possible exceptions of Houston and Atlanta -, the Caribbean and northern South America).

The negatives are insurance and maintenance costs and inadequate housing even if you are willing to pay a pretty penny: the fact that the boom turned to bust reflects that they still haven't got it right, not only in terms of financing, but also in terms of urban planning.

The other things like traffic, crime, seedy neighborhoods, crude and rude people, are common to most any urban environment.

Good Luck!
"The best parts of Miami are still around 10% more expensive than the best parts of Broward County and Palm Beach County"

Yeah, but you have to consider that the best parts of Broward and Palm Beach counties are just your regular big house suburban homes. And the best parts of Dade county are mansion like homes, exclusives homes that make it look, feel, and seem that it is exclusive, like if you were a celebrity. There's also the Islands, and the Manhattan style that in South Florida can only be found in Miami. So, you can't compare the best parts of Dade with the best parts of Broward and Palm Beach, the difference is bigger than day and night.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:20 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
"The best parts of Miami are still around 10% more expensive than the best parts of Broward County and Palm Beach County"

Yeah, but you have to consider that the best parts of Broward and Palm Beach counties are just your regular big house suburban homes. And the best parts of Dade county are mansion like homes, exclusives homes that make it look, feel, and seem that it is exclusive, like if you were a celebrity. There's also the Islands, and the Manhattan style that in South Florida can only be found in Miami. So, you can't compare the best parts of Dade with the best parts of Broward and Palm Beach, the difference is bigger than day and night.
Well, I was not actually focusing on that aspect of it, but I won't argue with it, it only enhances Miami's relative value.

Perhaps we can say, by that measure, that the best parts of Miami are about 10% more expensive than the best parts of Palm Beach and Broward Counties in money terms, but in quality terms much more than that.

Each one has his own values and measures. Personally, I don't think Miami is worth that much more, but on an even budget, even with less space, I would give Miami the slight edge.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:24 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
However, I find in general that urban condos are a relatively new concept in the US and, despite the housing boom of the mid-2000s, US architects and builders still do not know how to organize space properly like they do in Europe and South America (can't speak for Asia and Australia).
SO TRUE.

Having lived in Europe, South America and Asia.

Yep, Asia does it MUCH better as well. For one, urban 'condos' have a million amenities all around them in Asia. Heck, even far-flung apartment complexes in Asia have a million amenities within walking distance in Asia. For example, Korea, if you live in just about any apartment complex in that entire country, you can step outside your place and have quick access to 100s of restaurants, bowling alleys, convenience stores, language schools, dance schools, or whatever other whim you might have or want to do.

In Miami though, I've driven by many many condos that have access to nearly nothing. It looks like they park in the basement and then drive back out just rent a video or get a coca-cola. To me, it defeats the purpose to live in an isolated building without being near anything walkable and easily accessable.

I don't know if that is what you mean...but that's one of the biggest differences I notice.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:49 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I don't know if that is what you mean...but that's one of the biggest differences I notice.
Yes, that's certainly part of it. Brickell/downtown and Dadeland try to address that (Las Olas and Cityplace in Broward and West Palm Beach, respectively), but still fall short in some, perhaps many, respects.

I was also referring to the layout of the actual condo units, like oversized bathrooms and living rooms at the expense of undersized bedrooms.

I know that many low-end apartments in Europe or South America are tiny, but the big ones usually do it right in terms of spatial proportions (I have a tiny one in South America that does it right), rarely the case in Miami. It is really hard to fine something suitable, even up to big six-figures, then maintenance costs throw everything out of whack.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:57 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
It is really hard to fine something suitable, even up to big six-figures, then maintenance costs throw everything out of whack.
Granted I don't know Miami that well, but condos in general in the U.S. The maintenance fees involved are insanely costly - compared to other countries.

Whereas in most countries, these kinds of places are just the norm and for an entire range of people and incomes, etc. Here in the States, they seem to come with hefty pricetags through the maintence costs.

I've also observed, generally speaking, that way too many of them throw in way too many unnecessary amenities (that drive up monthly costs).

I wish they just simply existed in the U.S. as commonplace things that didn't all need to have umpteen bells and whistles attached.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:15 PM

535 posts, read 1,410,558 times
Quote:
WOW! Did you really just say all those things!? you must not live here. Do you know how many museums we have here? I'm not even going to mention anything else, it's not worth it. In any HOT place, without A/C it would be horrible, but of course we all have A/C, and besides, you can open up your windows and your fine. Also, theme parks? this isn't Orlando, you're acting like every place has theme parks and if it doesn't it's a sh@t hole. HAHA! sad.
A lot of the main cities have theme parks, so you don't hgave to drive 5 hours to the closest one.... A/C is a lot of extra bucks on electricity for the average people. Are you talking about high or middle/low class people? I'm speaking for the average citizen that makes arounf $10K-$30K a year...

Old 03-22-2010, 08:37 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
A lot of the main cities have theme parks, so you don't hgave to drive 5 hours to the closest one.... A/C is a lot of extra bucks on electricity for the average people. Are you talking about high or middle/low class people? I'm speaking for the average citizen that makes arounf $10K-$30K a year...
10-30k is certainly not "average"...hell the federal poverty level is roughly $19k.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:33 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
10-30k is certainly not "average"...hell the federal poverty level is roughly $19k.

If Marina is making an "average" wage of $10-30 K a year ... then no wonder he/she hates it down here .... actually on those wages you will hate pretty much any big city in the US .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami