Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:19 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,611,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Oh, and car dealers. I do agree with you on that one.
The SUBWAY across the street from FIU. They couldn't manage a sentence of English, Moderator cut: Flaming.

The same thing goes for any restaurant on 8th street, most on Bird Rd, and most gas stations in the Westchester/Sweetwater/West Miami/Doral areas....

I could go on and on and on..............

Last edited by doggiebus; 09-21-2009 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: watch it!

Old 09-20-2009, 07:27 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
That's not true. When I went to the used car lot at Maroone on Le Jeune Rd., they could not find an English speaking car salesman, and me and my girlfriend had to settle with a guy who spoke broken English. That was about a year ago.

I could name off 1,000 experiences exactly like that one in Miami...
Well, you need a college degree to sell cars, just good sales skills and like 99.9% of the customers in that area are Spanish speaking, so no need to hire an English Speaking one. What matters is the CASH.

You Cuba Libre really lived up to your name. It seems you never left the low income Spanish neighborhoods and on top of that got a job sending packages to Cuba? you must be kidding, which is quite possible with you.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:34 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,611,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolita305 View Post
Well, you need a college degree to sell cars, just good sales skills and like 99.9% of the customers in that area are Spanish speaking, so no need to hire an English Speaking one. What matters is the CASH.
How do we break the cycle of Spanish? Education? English classes? Even uppity Brickell Hispanics despise English. Moderator cut: Flaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolita305 View Post

You Cuba Libre really lived up to your name. It seems you never left the low income Spanish neighborhoods and on top of that got a job sending packages to Cuba? you must be kidding, which is quite possible with you.
FIU, my alma mater, is located right in the middle of the giant barrio otherwise known as West Dade....

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-06-2009 at 10:57 AM..

Old 09-20-2009, 08:14 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times
Quote:
How do we break the cycle of Spanish? Education? English classes? Even uppity Brickell Hispanics despise English. All that drug and sweat shop money from back home, why would they need English?

FIU, my alma mater, is located right in the middle of the giant barrio otherwise known as West Dade....
Now that I remember I have been in that particular dealer a couple of times (it's on 8 st and 42 ave) and people there do speak English there.

I don't know what to tell you Cuba Libre, it seems you lived in a parallel Spanish Universe and your experiences don't match mine.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:42 PM

976 posts, read 1,112,978 times
Quote:
Everywhere except for Hector's underground cafeteria in Hialeah. Miami is best described as "bilingual" with English being necessary for any kind of success, just like anywhere else in the US. Miami isn't it's own nation and for anyone to suggest that is just as unpatriotic as the Hispanics who put the flags of their home countries on their cars. Knowing Spanish helps more than most places, but knowing English is key.

Dude, my wife works with the public. She has met hispanics that have lived in Orlando for ten and fifteen years and STILL dont know English. For many (even though I dont like it) dont have to learn English to get by.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:41 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,674,322 times
Quote:
Miami is best described as "bilingual" with English being necessary for any kind of success, just like anywhere else in the US. Miami isn't it's own nation and for anyone to suggest that is just as unpatriotic as the Hispanics who put the flags of their home countries on their cars. Knowing Spanish helps more than most places, but knowing English is key.
Bingo.

Isolated incidents of dealing with broken English in Latin American Cafeteria or at a gas station are believable, but this "West Dade is a barrio and no one speaks English there" idea is rubbish. Either that or the entirety of Southwest Miami is in a plot to trick cuba libre into thinking that they don't speak English. Even the Anglos must be in on it!

Old 09-21-2009, 04:53 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,434,806 times
Whoever thinks Miami or South Florida needs to expand the legal legitimacy of Spanish and Latin culture, we need only look at the failures of Latin-dominated cities like Palermo, Bogota, and Guadalajara and their world class levels of crime, corruption, and poverty.

-------------

Palermo, Sicily?

Old 09-21-2009, 05:08 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,434,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
There's no need to lean English in Miami. I think they should, but from a hispanic's point of view, why should they? Everywhere they go they hear spanish and others are speakin in spanish. where in Miami do you HAVE TO know English?
---------

You need English because in Miami most serious jobs require both languages. But if you work in Almacenes El Español "We Send Packets and Glasses to Cuba" you don't need English to work there.

Recently they hired a Cuban raised in Chicago that couldn't speak any Spanish and they had to fire him, even considering that his "abuela" (grandmother) is related to the owner. The poor guy could barely say two words in Spanish and his English was perfunctory. He studied Home Economics at FAU and got a D average. He tried to "re-learn" Spanish by resorting to the services of a "Mesmerizer", a Cuban quack doctor, but the results were atrocious. He ended hating everything related to his race and culture, he even changed his last name from Rodriguez to Vishinky.

He even dyed his hair red, but the results are not good because his hair is woolly. They call him "Red Vishinky" in the hood and "Krazy Guayabuo" in Cuban town.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 09-21-2009 at 05:26 AM..

Old 09-21-2009, 05:25 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,911 times
Quote:
That's not true. When I went to the used car lot at Maroone on Le Jeune Rd., they could not find an English speaking car salesman, and me and my girlfriend had to settle with a guy who spoke broken English. That was about a year ago.

I could name off 1,000 experiences exactly like that one in Miami...
So drive 35 miles north to Coconut Creek or Coral Springs and you will find plenty of English speaking car salesmen ..... jesus christ get over it .. we have beaten this issue to death .

Old 09-21-2009, 05:27 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Whoever thinks Miami or South Florida needs to expand the legal legitimacy of Spanish and Latin culture, we need only look at the failures of Latin-dominated cities like Palermo, Bogota, and Guadalajara and their world class levels of crime, corruption, and poverty.

-------------

Palermo, Sicily?

I asked my self the same question also .... WTF ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami