Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 04:30 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
This is not a rare or isolated anomoly. There are hundreds of thousands of people in Miami just like this guy.

At my old job in college, I worked for a company that sent boxes and mail to Cuba. Most of the people I dealt with could not speak ANY English. The refugee community as a whole has little interest in assimilation or English, as many are too bitter after waiting half their lives to get here to try and become Americans. It will be interesting to see how many of these Cuban nationals will be deported after the embargo for failing to obtain their U.S. citizenship.

How pitiful, failing to obtain citizenship after having decades to do so...
Well that's a tough crowd, I don't even have the patience to handle that crowd I don't think many had been here for too long or were too old to learn it.

About the Cuban embargo. Honestly I don't think the USA is very interested in lifting it. It's very strategic to have an enemy close(think spies and getting Russian info and all that stuff) Sorry No Cuba Libre anytime soon

Anyways I don't see the problem with having service in Spanish over the phone. Do I use it? of course not. but I can see older hispanics using it, and business will have it as long as it's profitable for them. Again my advice: press one before that Spanish lady continues talking.

Last edited by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥; 09-20-2009 at 04:43 PM..

Old 09-20-2009, 04:54 PM

976 posts, read 1,112,978 times
There's no need to lean English in Miami. I think they should, but from a hispanic's point of view, why should they? Everywhere they go they hear spanish and others are speakin in spanish. where in Miami do you HAVE TO know English?

Old 09-20-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
There's no need to lean English in Miami. I think they should, but from a hispanic's point of view, why should they? Everywhere they go they hear spanish and others are speakin in spanish. where in Miami do you HAVE TO know English?
Where? try workplace & college.
Why are you speaking for hispanics' point of view when you are not even one?
Those that are young enough to learn it and have a little common sense will learn it. Why? because they want opportunities. You need English to become a professional. College is in English and most companies carry their operations in English. Not all hispanics work at BKs or Walmart as service employees, or commit robberies and burglaries, or live on Government assistance.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:13 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,611,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolita305 View Post
Those that are young enough to learn it and have a little common sense will learn it.
Key word: cartoons. It doesn't take common sense for a 5 year old Hispanic boy to learn English, it takes GI Joe.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Key word: cartoons. It doesn't take common sense for a 5 year old Hispanic boy to learn English, it takes GI Joe.
A 5 year old will learn it. Even most kids that get a chance to go to school before high school. I'm talking about people in their teens, 20's and 30's. Even some in their 40's are able to do so, but not all.

The common sense I was talking about is not related to their ability to learn Spanish but their choice to learn. You missed my point completely.

Last edited by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥; 09-20-2009 at 05:24 PM..

Old 09-20-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolita305 View Post
A 5 year old will learn it. Even most kids that get a chance to go to school before high school. I'm talking about people in their teens, 20's and 30's. Even some in their 40's are able to do so, but not all.

The common sense I was talking about is not related to their ability to learn Spanish but their choice to learn. You missed my point completely.
With a 5 year old, choice is not a factor, it just happens.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:06 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Everywhere except for Hector's underground cafeteria in Hialeah. Miami is best described as "bilingual" with English being necessary for any kind of success, just like anywhere else in the US. Miami isn't it's own nation and for anyone to suggest that is just as unpatriotic as the Hispanics who put the flags of their home countries on their cars. Knowing Spanish helps more than most places, but knowing English is key.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Everywhere except for Hector's underground cafeteria in Hialeah.
That's not true. When I went to the used car lot at Maroone on Le Jeune Rd., they could not find an English speaking car salesman, and me and my girlfriend had to settle with a guy who spoke broken English. That was about a year ago.

I could name off 1,000 experiences exactly like that one in Miami...

Old 09-20-2009, 07:15 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,911 times
Quote:
That's not true. When I went to the used car lot at Maroone on Le Jeune Rd., they could not find an English speaking car salesman, and me and my girlfriend had to settle with a guy who spoke broken English. That was about a year ago.

I think everyone made their point here and this thread is getting boring .. let's move on .

Old 09-20-2009, 07:16 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Quote:
That's not true. When I went to the used car lot at Maroone on Le Jeune Rd., they could not find an English speaking car salesman, and I had to settle with a guy who spoke broken English.

Oh, and car dealers. I do agree with you on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami