Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Orlando similar to Miami?
Yes 16 19.51%
No 66 80.49%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:51 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

They are very different cities but are more alike than Tampa and especially Jacksonville is to Miami. But I would have to say no. Two different areas by far.

Quote:
We definitely disagree.
How? Miami's population is at 5.5 million people, is one of the top international banking center's in America, is much more diverse and multicultural than Charlotte (and Atlanta and Dallas for that matter), more urban, dense, vibrant, etc. etc. than Charlotte. Miami does indeed belong in the class with Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta. Why do you disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 06:24 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
They are very different cities but are more alike than Tampa and especially Jacksonville is to Miami. But I would have to say no. Two different areas by far.

How? Miami's population is at 5.5 million people, is one of the top international banking center's in America, is much more diverse and multicultural than Charlotte (and Atlanta and Dallas for that matter), more urban, dense, vibrant, etc. etc. than Charlotte. Miami does indeed belong in the class with Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta. Why do you disagree?
Spade ... most of the major issues with Miami are from people that are uncomfortable with a hispanic majority , hearing Spanish being spoken and unfortunately the bad habits brought over by some of the recent arrivals from Latin America ... that is it in a nutshell pure and simple . Miami / Miami Beach are in many respects in the same class as Atlanta , Dallas , Houston or Charlotte . If Miami Dade County still had a white anglo majority like it did twenty five to thirty years ago you would see less complaints and griping by many on this forum . That is it pure and simple and I challenge anyone on here to dispute that .... it is not cost of living , of the heat or potential for hurricanes or crime or traffic ( all the cities mentioned have high crime and even worse traffic than Miami ) it is in fact what is perceived as the increasing "third world " aspects of Miami Dade County that turn some non hispanics and even many hispanics off .

Old 06-13-2009, 06:32 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
I wouldnt say any FL city, although I still like parts of FL, can compete with an Atlanta/Dallas/Charlotte.
Miami has better nightlife than those cities.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:42 AM

552 posts, read 592,634 times
^^^ I'm not talking about nightlife. I think Orlando and Miami are alike due to the crime, road rage, the people, the type of people attracted to both cities, the languages, etc... I didnt say they are exactly alike, but I can see Orlando becoming more and more like Miami.

Ps- Rock - I dont live in Kissimmee, but you'd think I did. I live in one of the better areas of Orlando, but again, you wouldnt know it. The people, the foreclosures, the constant espanol and lack of respect people have around here, you'd think you were in Miami.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:

Charlotte, before the banking collapse, was the NYC of the south when it came to big finance/investment banking jobs. It was the 2nd best banking center in the US. It may still be, but with all of the HQ there, and the real estate debacle, it it taking a hit right now. So Miami cannot compete with Charlotte in that respect, assuming we get out of this situation we are in and banking jobs come back around. The level of educaton and the level of professionalism and the character of people are also different in Miami, compared to Charlotte or Atlanta. Yes, Miami is more dense and urbanized due to the Everglades and the ocean. That is why. If you dont think S FL is full of sprawl though, you may want to check again, lol.

PS- If you dont speak spanish in Miami, forget it. How's that diverse?

Old 06-13-2009, 07:53 AM

872 posts, read 1,713,467 times
THis is a tough one though I'd be inclined to say no. The weather and the high proportion of Spanish speakers make MIami and Orlando very similar. However, Miami is much busier and lively and feels more like what one might say is a true city. Also, MIami has four professional sports teams vs one for Orlando.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:15 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Spade ... most of the major issues with Miami are from people that are uncomfortable with a hispanic majority , hearing Spanish being spoken and unfortunately the bad habits brought over by some of the recent arrivals from Latin America ... that is it in a nutshell pure and simple . Miami / Miami Beach are in many respects in the same class as Atlanta , Dallas , Houston or Charlotte . If Miami Dade County still had a white anglo majority like it did twenty five to thirty years ago you would see less complaints and griping by many on this forum . That is it pure and simple and I challenge anyone on here to dispute that .... it is not cost of living , of the heat or potential for hurricanes or crime or traffic ( all the cities mentioned have high crime and even worse traffic than Miami ) it is in fact what is perceived as the increasing "third world " aspects of Miami Dade County that turn some non hispanics and even many hispanics off .
yeah it couldn't be this...

in 2004, Miami had the third highest incidence of family incomes below the federal poverty line in the United States, making it the third poorest city in the USA, behind only Detroit, Michigan (ranked #1) and El Paso, Texas (ranked #2.) Miami is also one of the very few cities where its local government went bankrupt, in 2001.[39] As of 2007, however, the housing market has crashed and more than 23,000 condos are for sale and/or foreclosed.[41] The Miami area ranks 8th in the nation in foreclosures.[42] Miami is also one of the least affordable places to live, with the median percentage of housing costs as a percentage of income was 42.8%; the national average was 27%. Miami ranks twelfth among least affordable cities for home ownership.

But yes, the white caucasian population in Miami is 10%...

But yes...

As of 2000, speakers of Spanish as their first language accounted for 66.75% of residents, while English was spoken by 25.45%...

I don't speak fluent spanish myself and see where I could run into problems just looking at the statistics...I know a lot of jobs there when I was originally job searching are bilingual (spanish/english) only.

these are older numbers, the data is actually worse now.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:17 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
Charlotte, before the banking collapse, was the NYC of the south when it came to big finance/investment banking jobs. It was the 2nd best banking center in the US. It may still be, but with all of the HQ there, and the real estate debacle, it it taking a hit right now. So Miami cannot compete with Charlotte in that respect, assuming we get out of this situation we are in and banking jobs come back around. The level of educaton and the level of professionalism and the character of people are also different in Miami, compared to Charlotte or Atlanta. Yes, Miami is more dense and urbanized due to the Everglades and the ocean. That is why. If you dont think S FL is full of sprawl though, you may want to check again, lol.

PS- If you dont speak spanish in Miami, forget it. How's that diverse?
My family has lived in Miami-Dade for nearly 6 decades and they don't speak Spanish and they have no problem talking in the area. There is a much more diverse Hispanic population than the rest of the South combined. Miami also has the most diverse black population in the South with a large population of Caribbean Islanders (only slightly though because Houston is right behind them with the number of Africans).

Yes, I know Miami has a sprawl problem. It's a sunbelt city. Without a car in Miami, you are basically stuck. Just like any other sunbelt city. But Charlotte outside of banking cannot hold a candle to Miami's economy. While domestically, Charlotte is on a higher tier, Brickell is one of the most important financial centers for Latin America. Miami is also a huge trading center for the area. It is obviously a much higher tourist mecca than Charlotte as well.

The level of education is not that bad in Miami. UM is not that bad of a university and there is many residents from the University of Florida living there. Two top 55 universities and tier one universities. Miami-Dade is bigger than the entire Charlote metro area. Lot's of disrespect for the city of Miami.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
My family has lived in Miami-Dade for nearly 6 decades and they don't speak Spanish and they have no problem talking in the area. There is a much more diverse Hispanic population than the rest of the South combined. Miami also has the most diverse black population in the South with a large population of Caribbean Islanders (only slightly though because Houston is right behind them with the number of Africans). I think diversity is overrated anyhow. I live in a diverse area, Asians, Blacks, Indian, mostly Hispanic, a few white familes... and what I see is hardly anyone talking to eachother, some folks cant communicate to one another, and definitely conducting yourself, and how you handle things like driving, an taking care of your house and yard also vary quite a bit. So it basically makes this neighborhood a very strange place.

Yes, I know Miami has a sprawl problem. It's a sunbelt city. Without a car in Miami, you are basically stuck. I dont have a problem with that. I'm not from NYC or anywhere like that, I was born in FL, so driving from place to place is natural to me. Just like any other sunbelt city. But Charlotte outside of banking cannot hold a candle to Miami's economy. I doubt that. Please provide info if you can. While domestically, Charlotte is on a higher tier, Brickell is one of the most important financial centers for Latin America. Right... financial center for LATIN America. You're comparing Brickell, a place hardly anyone outside of Miami knows to Charlotte? Are you kidding? Miami is also a huge trading center for the area. Traders looking to relocate out of NYC/San Fran are going to head to Atlanta or Charlotte, most likely not Miami. It is obviously a much higher tourist mecca than Charlotte as well. Tourist mecca? Agreed. But we know that doesnt always pan out and provide stable work and well paying jobs.

The level of education is not that bad in Miami. UM is not that bad of a university and there is many residents from the University of Florida living there. Two top 55 universities and tier one universities. Miami-Dade is bigger than the entire Charlote metro area. I am more about quality of people, not the quantity. Lot's of disrespect for the city of Miami.
UF, FSU and UM all have good programs. I definitely agree.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:36 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
yeah it couldn't be this...

in 2004, Miami had the third highest incidence of family incomes below the federal poverty line in the United States, making it the third poorest city in the USA, behind only Detroit, Michigan (ranked #1) and El Paso, Texas (ranked #2.) Miami is also one of the very few cities where its local government went bankrupt, in 2001.[39] As of 2007, however, the housing market has crashed and more than 23,000 condos are for sale and/or foreclosed.[41] The Miami area ranks 8th in the nation in foreclosures.[42] Miami is also one of the least affordable places to live, with the median percentage of housing costs as a percentage of income was 42.8%; the national average was 27%. Miami ranks twelfth among least affordable cities for home ownership.

But yes, the white caucasian population in Miami is 10%...

But yes...

As of 2000, speakers of Spanish as their first language accounted for 66.75% of residents, while English was spoken by 25.45%...

I don't speak fluent spanish myself and see where I could run into problems just looking at the statistics...I know a lot of jobs there when I was originally job searching are bilingual (spanish/english) only.

these are older numbers, the data is actually worse now.
These numbers are for the city of Miami , which is relatively small and yes quite poor ... but when most folks on this forum and in general refer to Miami in actuality they mean Miami / Dade County which includes large areas with much wealth ... Coral Gables , Aventura , Miami Shores , Pine Crest , Miami Beach , etc , etc and my original argument is that many non hispanics have issues the with the majority hispanic culture and yes even in these mentioned wealthy areas . You cannot compare Dade County with Detroit and especially El Paso ... puleeze .... again the issue here for many is the ever shrinking white anglo minority in Miami Dade County ... period .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami