Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Orlando similar to Miami?
Yes 16 19.51%
No 66 80.49%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 08:03 AM

552 posts, read 592,634 times

Advertisements

But how much longer before the rest of Orlando looks like Kissimmee? That's what a lot of folks are wondering. Before places that were really nice were expensive, thus not getting a lot of the riff raff and crime out, but as they become cheaper and cheaper, ans homeowners are renting out their homes to anyone who they think might be decent tenants, it begs the question... how much longer? People are moving outta here (a lot of good folks) for better quality of life elsewhere, whether it be a little further north in FL, or the Carolina's/GA/Tenn. I've seen a big difference just in my neighborhood alone. The good neighbors that mow their lawn, dont speed, stop at stop-signs, wave back to you, help set up your community watch, stay involved in the community and try to make it a better place... some of those folks are leaving due to what's happening to Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Eh... Miami dominates Orlando in cultural attractions, non kiddie amenities, beach, nightlife, restaurants, arts, fashion, education, business, etc. Pretty much every single category except Disney stuff...It is on another level, on par with Atl, Houston, Dallas ... Orlando is NOT.
LOL - Miami is on par with Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston?

Old 06-12-2009, 08:08 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
LOL - Miami is on par with Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston?
It would fall last in the grouping, but it deserves a mention. It is either Miami, or nothing in FL is a large functioning city... I am being lenient.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:55 AM

I wouldnt say any FL city, although I still like parts of FL, can compete with an Atlanta/Dallas/Charlotte. Not Miami, not Orlando, not Jacksonville.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:10 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
I don't think Miami or Orlando are that similar. Orlando has more in common with Tampa than Miami, imo.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:10 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
I wouldnt say any FL city, although I still like parts of FL, can compete with an Atlanta/Dallas/Charlotte. Not Miami, not Orlando, not Jacksonville.
Charlotte is not in that class. That city's metro population is not even as large as Orlando. Also, downtown Orlando beats downtown Charlotte any day of the week. I guess it's personal preference, but to me there is not much going on in downtown Charlotte, and I have been out downtown several times there. It's pretty...but Orlando's nightlife is FAR more lively. Fewer restaurants than Orlando, fewer bars and clubs, and fewer condos. Hardly anyone lives down there.

You people saying downtown Orlando is in any way some sort of Disney corporate experience need to wake up. It's nothing like that, and the diversity of bars, music, and clubs is hard to beat in such a compact area.

Last edited by Pete C; 06-12-2009 at 09:53 AM..

Old 06-12-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Charlotte is not in that class. That city's metro population is not even as large as Orlando. Also, downtown Orlando beats downtown Charlotte any day of the week. I guess it's personal preference, but to me there is not much going on in downtown Charlotte, and I have been out downtown several times there. It's pretty...but Orlando's nightlife is FAR more lively. Fewer restaurants than Orlando, fewer bars and clubs, and fewer condos. Hardly anyone lives down there.

You people saying downtown Orlando is in any way some sort of Disney corporate experience need to wake up. It's nothing like that, and the diversity of bars, music, and clubs is hard to beat in such a compact area.

We definitely disagree.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:15 PM

326 posts, read 1,170,045 times
Dear Mad Scientist

Hey look Dallas and Houston both got crime, traffic(road rage) and espanol. Why don't you go and start a forum on Orlando vs Houston vs Dallas.
Your really starting to get off topic for this thread. In city-data if you don't got nothing relevant to say don't say it at all

Old 06-12-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofykid View Post
Dear Mad Scientist

Hey look Dallas and Houston both got crime, traffic(road rage) and espanol. Why don't you go and start a forum on Orlando vs Houston vs Dallas.
Your really starting to get off topic for this thread. In city-data if you don't got nothing relevant to say don't say it at all
I didnt start this thread, so I'm not sure why I'd start another one on "Orlando vs Houston vs Dallas." I dont think Orlando is like Dallas (dont know enough about Houston) and certainly not like Atlanta, which was brought up, by, not me, but someone else. I live in Orlando, so I believe what I say to be relevant. And if someone says Orlando is on par with the likes of Dallas or Atlanta (which is how we got on this topic), I can disagree.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:43 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofykid View Post
Dear Mad Scientist

You are correct .... I travel to both cities frequently on business and although both have some positives ... Houston especially has friendly people , great museums and a large theatre district ... the air pollution , traffic and crime are brutal ... not to mention that lack of zoning that make large swaths of the city butt ugly and yes you hear plenty of espanol in Houston and you have a huge illegal immigrant population .... Dallas is just plain , brown and boring and shares many of the problems that Houston has ... Atlanta is just ok , also high crime , brutal traffic and poor air quality ... landlocked no ocean.. ( that is a killer for me ) .. racial tensions ... again it is just ok ... if you go on their forum you will see people complaining there as well . Mad Scientist needs to move to a better neighborhood than Kissimee , then maybe he will not hear as much espanol... which he seems to have such issues with .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami