Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:35 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,481,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Translation View Post
I counted the word 'hate' ten times in your reply. I really think it's high time you move and find 'greener pastures'. I'm honestly not trying to diss you, it's just that you've been on this forum years and you seem just as miserable now. I sincerely feel sorry for you.
I know, I was ready to move 4 or 5 years ago, but my better half isn't ready to move...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 08:11 PM

736 posts, read 2,297,859 times
I like Miami just fine but NO QUESTION that HONOLULU blows MIAMI away. Sorry it's just the truth. Pretty sure a scientific survey would reveal most people would take Honolulu. And if it's in the tropics we'll say it qualifies. The fact that they get less rain than Miami only makes it superior.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:25 PM

20 posts, read 76,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
I like Miami just fine but NO QUESTION that HONOLULU blows MIAMI away. Sorry it's just the truth. Pretty sure a scientific survey would reveal most people would take Honolulu. And if it's in the tropics we'll say it qualifies. The fact that they get less rain than Miami only makes it superior.

well i love the fact that honolulu is still the U.S. and yet it is very different than the rest of U.S. and all but Its just to isolated for me to live there. yes in south florida you are far away from alot a places but you can still drive out of florida if you want.

Everyone i know that moved to honolulu (people in 20's) liked it but ended up moving back to the mainland. Hawaii seems to me like a good place for certain types of people to live there for a few months have fun with it and move back to main land U.S.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:11 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,776,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
Dude, do you ever see good in anything?

South Florida is far and away the best place to live on the whole planet. my home is the very best place to enjoy all that is South Florida. I never even take vacations anymore. nothing compares to my home for comfort, view, panache or excitement. I love being me!

My point was that invariably, everyone who raves about the Miami climate does not really live in it. If you own and use air conditioning you have no right to say how great a "tropical" climate is. If however you are living like Marjorie Stoneman Douglas I will respect your opinion.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:24 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,298,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlyz33 View Post
well i love the fact that honolulu is still the U.S. and yet it is very different than the rest of U.S. and all but Its just to isolated for me to live there. yes in south florida you are far away from alot a places but you can still drive out of florida if you want.

Everyone i know that moved to honolulu (people in 20's) liked it but ended up moving back to the mainland. Hawaii seems to me like a good place for certain types of people to live there for a few months have fun with it and move back to main land U.S.
Yet Honolulu's average medium income is WAY above Miami's. Their climate is also truly "tropical", but with less rainfall (on average) than Miami.

I think I'd like to visit Honolulu.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:28 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,534,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
granted this is all very subjective but having visited oahu, maui and the big island I can say that in my opinion hawaii has absolutely nothing on south florida and the caribbean. I can get much better anything (except waves I don't care to ride in) right here at home. with regard to surfing eleuthera rivals hawaii in all categories except size but I have surfed eleuthera on double overhead days and thats plenty exciting for me.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:32 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,776,552 times
The one thing I forgot to mention is that this year is above average because it is May and I still have not started the air conditioner. The last few it was turned on by April. This is a lot like it was in 2004. Oh wait, maybe that's a bad thing!

Old 05-03-2009, 10:28 PM

20 posts, read 76,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
granted this is all very subjective but having visited oahu, maui and the big island I can say that in my opinion hawaii has absolutely nothing on south florida and the caribbean. I can get much better anything (except waves I don't care to ride in) right here at home. with regard to surfing eleuthera rivals hawaii in all categories except size but I have surfed eleuthera on double overhead days and thats plenty exciting for me.

I agree... the caribbean islands are a short cruise or fly away from south Florida and have much natural beauty such as crystal clear warm waters that can match or beat most of hawaii. Hawaii is overated they have ghettos there just like anywhere else(as well as super rich areas too). Wakiki beach was a disappointment to me. The only great hawaii i can find is on pictures on the internet. IN Person oahu was not as impressive... maybey the other islands are different but you said you went to Maui and the big island so i don't know. I HEARD maui had the best beaches.

I'd rather deal with a much cooler climate in San Diego than live in Hawaii.

I can never see myself living outside the mainland U.S. 48 states thats just my opinion

Old 05-03-2009, 10:53 PM

10,151 posts, read 15,034,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlyz33 View Post
Strange Calcutta India and Bangkok have there warmest months april may and June??? and bangkok has those 3 months with an average low of 80!!!! So Calcutta, Bangkok, rio De Janeiro, and San Juan, and i just thought of Panama city, Panama ARE contenters as the meet the criteria... any one visit or live in these cities? I'm going to do some research on them for fun but nothing beats experience...
I can't say anything about Calcutta (albeit, its reputation is not the best one out there) or Bangkok, but Rio is perhaps the most incredible tropical city in the world. The only thing that puts a damp on things is the crime. San Juan in PR is also great, particularly the northern part of the city along the shore. It has some similarities with Miami, except that not too far away there are some nice mountains. As for Panama City in Panama, the best kept secret south of the border. Quite a lot of Americans have been moving down there and why not, its very beautiful, offers First World ambiance and standards on many things for a fraction of the costs. The biggest drawback to Panama City is that during the rainy season it can rain for days and its always hot, think 90s year round. No cool winter mornings (or down right chilly) as some times occurs in Miami. Also, if you think the sun is intense in Miami, in Panama it feels like you're on the surface of the sun.

Another city to consider is Singapore. I've never been there, but I know several people that have visited and based on their descriptions, the place is perfect. Perhaps a little too perfect, but perfect none-the-less.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:38 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,069,842 times
This weather might beat the North East but in my opinion it's not the best. I thinK San Diego and other cities in Cali are way better. Miami weather is unbereable like for about 48 weeks of the year. I know nice weathers where you can go outside all year long, and this is NOT one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami