Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:08 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofykid View Post
Too each his own but some places like Opa-Locka, Lake Worth, ect are too urban to be suburban. To me anyway.
There is a difference between "suburban in character" and "suburb."

Miami Beach is a suburb of Miami, regardless of how many high-rise buildings and crowded, pedestrian streets it may have. It's not suburban in character, but it's a suburb.

The parts of the City of Miami full of wide streets and single-family homes are suburban in character, but they are not suburbs because they're located in the City of Miami.

Remember that the OP asked about suburbs, not about areas that are suburban in character.

So, Coral Way, Liberty City, Overtown, Morningside, Coconut Grove, etc. aren't proper answers because they are part of the City of Miami. In contrast, places that are not traditionally suburban like Aventura, Miami Beach, Hialeah, and Palm Beach are not central city neighborhoods - they are suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 11:23 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,336 times
Maybe the OP used the word 'suburb" as in "parts". What suburb (part) of Miami is the best/the worst, etc.
To me a suburb is a place on the outskirts. It does not have to be a city in and of itself to be a suburb. In other words there are part of Miami that are way out west, far from downtown, that are suburbs.
I will wikipedia suburb when I have a chance.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:02 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Suburbs= not Miami neighborhoods

Old 05-01-2009, 08:24 AM

326 posts, read 1,170,045 times
You might not think but I know what a suburb is and your right it's anywhere outside of the main city. However I think SoFlo is the exception because lets face it land wise Miami and the other two main cities are small compared to other cities in the U.S. Most other big cities have one or two other cities within the county. Not only that two of the counties in SoFlo are in the top ten in population in the U.S. That being said that makes alot of areas outside of the city more urban than suburban. Like I said would you consider the "Triangle" in Opa Locka a suburb? Most older cities would have all of the urban areas in the city proper. But since SoFlo is not that old their are many urban areas where most other citites would call suburbs.

To me a suburb is much more than outside the city. It's a safe place where someone could raise a child. It's a place where their is a low crime rate. Where people move to and leave the crime element behind them. Like I said it might not be the deffinition of a suburb but it's my opinion of one.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:03 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
You might not think but I know what a suburb is and your right it's anywhere outside of the main city. However I think SoFlo is the exception because lets face it land wise Miami and the other two main cities are small compared to other cities in the U.S. Most other big cities have one or two other cities within the county. Not only that two of the counties in SoFlo are in the top ten in population in the U.S. That being said that makes alot of areas outside of the city more urban than suburban. Like I said would you consider the "Triangle" in Opa Locka a suburb? Most older cities would have all of the urban areas in the city proper. But since SoFlo is not that old their are many urban areas where most other citites would call suburbs.

To me a suburb is much more than outside the city. It's a safe place where someone could raise a child. It's a place where their is a low crime rate. Where people move to and leave the crime element behind them. Like I said it might not be the definition of a suburb but it's my opinion of one.
Great points because nothing happens in Suburbs, they are safe havens free of crime and poverty.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:12 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:

To me a suburb is much more than outside the city. It's a safe place where someone could raise a child. It's a place where their is a low crime rate. Where people move to and leave the crime element behind them. Like I said it might not be the deffinition of a suburb but it's my opinion of one.
A suburb is just a city that is outside of one of the "core" cities, and doesn't necessairly have to be clean and child friendly. That being said, there is nothing more "urban" about the layout of Miami Gardens, Lauderhill, Opa-Locka than Hollywood, Dania Beach or Hallandale. And yes, if you want to go there, the racial demographics are different, but the social conditions aren't at all. If anything, those areas are less urban in layout. Call them what you want ("ghetto suburbs", "inner city", etc), but they are suburbs.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:48 PM

326 posts, read 1,170,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Great points because nothing happens in Suburbs, they are safe havens free of crime and poverty.
Of course bad things happen everywhere but your not going to say their are less likely to happen in the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
A suburb is just a city that is outside of one of the "core" cities, and doesn't necessairly have to be clean and child friendly. That being said, there is nothing more "urban" about the layout of Miami Gardens, Lauderhill, Opa-Locka than Hollywood, Dania Beach or Hallandale. And yes, if you want to go there, the racial demographics are different, but the social conditions aren't at all. If anything, those areas are less urban in layout. Call them what you want ("ghetto suburbs", "inner city", etc), but they are suburbs.
Thats fine I'm not here trying to define a suburb. I even stated what a politically correct suburb is. Then I've stated my opinion what a suburb is. So I'm going to stick to my opinion not matter how many time people write the definition. If you think your gonna change ones opinion your on the wrong website.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:02 PM

83 posts, read 216,893 times
Quote:
Of course bad things happen everywhere but your not going to say their are less likely to happen in the suburbs.

Thats fine I'm not here trying to define a suburb. I even stated what a politically correct suburb is. Then I've stated my opinion what a suburb is. So I'm going to stick to my opinion not matter how many time people write the definition. If you think your gonna change ones opinion your on the wrong website.
I completely agree with you goofykid and whoever this wildstyle is is just trying to be a smart ass, he got the ass part down. Generally when people think of a suburb they think of a safer place than a city - cities tend to be have more lower middle income people and the houses tend to be smaller as well. Of course suburbs aren't perfect - but there is no way someone could argue that far out suburbs of major metro cities are safer than the cities themselves.

That being said, you also got it right that Miami (and I guess sofla by extension) are an abberation when it comes to your traditional suburb. While they may be "suburbs" technically, or by definition - they are NOT suburban in nature. A suburban area typically has larger homes than those in the city, more land, lower crime rates, wealthier people (not always though but most suburbs tend not be where the poor reside) and aren't urban in character. In other words, you find a few residential sections and maybe a main core of the town - like a couple of streets of shops. In miami, its the opposite. In many of its suburbs - most of SW miami (even kendall is sliding down) is less affluent than the city proper and the "urban" parts of miami - such as along the cost, brickell, KB, Sobe and miami beach. Hialeah, westchester, sweetwater, olympia heights, sunset (not all of it though..parts are kinda nice), west miami, south miami, sm heights and the bad areas surrounding the grove -not to mention all of N.miami west of the cost can be considered suburbs but are not "suburban" at all.

they're crowded, tend to be lower middle class, densely populated with a million homes all next to each other, major roads and highways, numerous stores/malls/restraunts and finally: it practially all looks the same because its all adjacent to each other!!

But I love it either way!!!!!!!

Old 06-11-2010, 04:18 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
If you were to rank Miami's Suburbs in prestige, cleanliness, safety, amenities what would be the Best Suburbs and Worst Suburbs? Although I'm not a true Floridian but I will rank them as where I would want to live.

1. Highland Beach
2. Boca Raton
3. Deerfield Beach
4. Coral Springs
5. Pompano Beach
6. Wellington-Honorable Mention

1. Hialeah
2. North Miami
3. Fort Lauderdale
4. Homestead
5. Lake Worth
6. Boynton Beach-Honorable Mention
None of your top 6 are Miami suburbs and some are actually quite a distance away case in point Boca Raton and Wellington ... you are listing cities in Broward and Palm Beach Counties not one is a Miami suburb .

Old 06-11-2010, 04:23 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Miami's 5 best suburbs:

1. Boca Raton
2. Parkland
3. Miami Shores
4. Coral Gables
5. Pinecrest

+2: Miami Beach and Weston (I couldn't resist adding a few more)

Miami's worst 5 suburbs:

1. Hialeah
2. Central Fort Lauderdale
3. Palm Beach Gardens
4. Miami Gardens
5. Liberty City

How on earth do you list Palm Beach Gardens as one of the 5 worst Miami suburbs ... it is not in Miami and second Palm Beach Gardens is very desirable , upscale and a lovely place to live ..... I agree with the other four places although Central Ft.Lauderdale is not a Miami suburb .. someone has been hitting the crack pipe here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami