Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 02:41 AM

535 posts, read 1,411,029 times

Advertisements

I lived in Homestead for 5 years. It has good and bad. The good ones are less traffic than Miami, cheaper, less populated, different kind of people, quiet neigborhood, and mostly new construction. The bad is burglarly, crime, ugly roads, several ugly neighborhoods, prostitutes, and homeless. I lived at Riverside Villas, across Hidden Grove. At Hidden Grove a woman got raped at 6 Am in front of her son about 3 years ago. After we moved back to Miami, my sister and her boyfriend rented a 4/2 house 5 minutes away from where we used to live. They got robbed a Tuesday morning while my sister was working and her boyfriend at the doctor. The burglars threw a brick onto the back backyard window and took a 46'' HDTV, a PS3 and all its games even though the house had alarm. Cops never did anything to help them or find the burglars. The owner of the house didn't want to pay the window repair so they had to put the hurricane protection. A couple days later a neighborhood kid told my sister "I sold your PS3 for $300", a couple days later those kids got caught since they robbed in most of the area houses. A month later they left becuase they felt very unsafe and they owner never answered for the damages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 04:58 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
What about Leisure City?

Old 12-08-2009, 05:59 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
^^^What do you want to know?

Old 12-08-2009, 10:33 PM

170 posts, read 450,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Mexican laborers are the main feature of the town of Homestead
If we'd just make Mexico as state, Homestead might return to normal.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:52 PM

12 posts, read 86,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City;
I was wondering is this a safe area or just run down? how is crime and people? Public schools or private and is there any nice parts close to Homested/Florida City?
Homestead and Florida city really aren't part of Metro Miami, but many place them in that category due to the fact they're in Miami-Dade county. Homestead is about 30 minutes drive from the edge of the suburbs, it's got a nice little downtown area....and some middle-class sprawl in the northeast part of the city (closer to Miami)....but other than that the area is pretty run-down. It's a combination of old-fashioned white southerners, Mexican migrants who work the fields, and blacks. Homestead has the feel of a country town (and is definitely the nicer of the two compared with FLA city); Florida city is basically a ghetto that's not in a city (I think it has the second highest crime rate per capita in the country). If you're moving there, the best bet is to buy in East Homestead near the air force base, this is where the middle class areas are found. It's generally safe over here; once you go west of the turnpike it gets kinda sketchy.

Despite all these issues, Homestead is nice because it's so close to Everglades national park and to country areas, something you can't find in Miami itself. There are also a lot of large tracts of land and larger homes just north of Homestead in the agricultural community of the Redlands. This area is nicer than either of the two places you mentioned.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coruna View Post
Homestead and Florida city really aren't part of Metro Miami, but many place them in that category due to the fact they're in Miami-Dade county. Homestead is about 30 minutes drive from the edge of the suburbs, it's got a nice little downtown area....and some middle-class sprawl in the northeast part of the city (closer to Miami)....but other than that the area is pretty run-down. It's a combination of old-fashioned white southerners, Mexican migrants who work the fields, and blacks. Homestead has the feel of a country town (and is definitely the nicer of the two compared with FLA city); Florida city is basically a ghetto that's not in a city (I think it has the second highest crime rate per capita in the country). If you're moving there, the best bet is to buy in East Homestead near the air force base, this is where the middle class areas are found. It's generally safe over here; once you go west of the turnpike it gets kinda sketchy.

Despite all these issues, Homestead is nice because it's so close to Everglades national park and to country areas, something you can't find in Miami itself. There are also a lot of large tracts of land and larger homes just north of Homestead in the agricultural community of the Redlands. This area is nicer than either of the two places you mentioned.
This is quite accurate.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:09 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migsly View Post
This is quite accurate.
I'd say it's maybe about half accurate. Some key points s/he made that are not true:

Homestead if not a 30 minute drive to the edge of the suburbs. Most of Homestead is 10-15 minutes from Cutler Bay and South Miami Heights and, without traffic, only about 30 minutes from Miami International Airport.

West of the Turnpike has some sketchy areas, but there are some nice areas as well. There are large areas of middle class people west of the Turnpike, especially in the area north of SW 296th St. West of US1 in that area has many people who live comfortably and choose to live there because they can get a large, country-style lot. S/he is right, however, the East Homstead is overall nicer. The most expenses homes, however, are in NW Homestead and the Redlands.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:49 PM

^^Too true.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:41 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times
Homestead and Florida City are the country town suburbs of Miami,every large city probably has their own country town within their metro area.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:59 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
The actual city limits of Homestead do not extend north of 296 St. If you live within the city limits you get some great services: in addition to garbage pick-up twice a week, we get bulk pick up (yard trash, etc.) up once a week. If you live in unincorporated Miami Dade County, you get one bulk pick up a year!! We have a good police department, with very fast response times and our own electrical company. I once realized I had a leak underground near my water meter (the grass was green around it - during our dry season), I called our local Homested public works department...within 15 minutes 3 guys were looking over the problem and within 30 minutes they had replaced the cracked water meter! Try getting that kind of service somewhere else! Oh, and all the guys were English speaking Americans. I live in the NW section between SW 296 st and SW 304 Street, just a block from Krome Avenue. Sorry, but I think this area is the nicest - older homes, but nice sized lots, homes built in the 1950's and no cookie cutter developments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami