Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:20 AM

546 posts, read 2,147,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Just last week one of my coworkers was involved in a Dragon Boat Race in Biscane Bay. He said they had at least 30 teams competing, like they do every year. Did anyone hear about it? I wouldn't have know if he hadn't told me. I work with a lot of CHinese so I see Orientals every day. In fact, the only two languages I hear at work are English and Chinese. How many people can say that in Miami?
Another poster mentioned the reason you don't see any Orientals on the beach. The reason is that they don't want thier skin to get dark. Orientals have the same view of beauty as Americans did half a century ago: White is beautiful. The whiter your skin the more beautiful you are. They sell so many skin whiting products in Japan that many times I see girls over there with skin whiter than mine. When my sister in law came to visit us last summer she was practically a shutin because she didn't want to go out in the sun and have it damage (darken) her skin.

You eat Oriental food, people are referred to as Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 11:23 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
I was going to tell him that, but I'm glad you picked up on that too. Actually, I was going to say Oriental is a rug and not a race of people.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:36 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
You are so wrong. Typical neo-political correctness.

The Orient is a region. Asia is a region (which happens to be a continent). If you made a Venn diagram there would be a large overlap as Eastern Asia is part of the Orient but the Orient includes the Philippians and Japan which are not part of the continent of Asia. The Orient does not include Pakistan (or any of the -Stans for that matter). When most of you guys say "Asian" you are really referring to Oriental people. Oriental is an adjective and can refer to people as well as food, rugs, cars or anything else. It means [noun] from the Orient. It is incorrect to refer to Asians when you really mean Orientals. NEVER get the two groups confused because Most Chinese would feel quite upset to be confused with a Pakistani.

We had this discussion already here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/3702732-post10.html

Last edited by rogerbacon; 06-10-2008 at 12:07 PM..

Old 07-04-2008, 12:25 PM

32 posts, read 310,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerMan View Post
I was just at Dolphin mall and there were lots of asians?
BTW I've noticed the Palm Springs/Country Club area also has alot of asians.

And again outside of the western states (inc. Hawaii), mid-atlantic and for some reason Chicago, the asian population is always around 3%. Florida never really became a hot spot for asian immigrants but Miami does boost its own large Chinese immigrant population. Miami doesn't have a low asian population its just around average.

Metros with largest Asian population-

Honolulu - 46%
San Francisco - 18%
Los Angeles - 10%
Sacramento - 9%
San Diego - 9%
Seattle - 8%
New York - 6%
Baltimore - 5%
Houston - 5%
Las Vegas - 4%
Chicago - 4%
Dallas - 3%

After Dallas its just repetitive 3 and 2%. But just for reference the asian population is larger in numbers down here than in Las Vegas and comparable to Baltimore and Sacramento.

In South Florida percentage wise the areas with highest asian populations are-

Doral - 5%
Ives Estates - 4.6%
Pinecrest - 4.5%
Coral Springs - 4.4%
North Miami Beach - 4%
Cooper City - 4%

In pure numbers other cities like Miami and Pembroke Pines have actual larger numbers. But from what I could figure from these numbers is that the majority or where the biggest concentrations of Asians are in Southwestern Dade, extreme Northesatern Dade and Western Broward

NY = 6% and Miami 5%

then why do I never see an Asian person on the strees in Miami, maybe once a week.

But in cities like NY, LA, Frisco, Toronto and Vancouver I see Asians daily.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk22 View Post
Nobody notices the Asians unless you know one and will notice Asians when they see them in public. I bet the people that hardly ever see Asians really never spoke to one before except to put in their order or associate with them outside of work or some sort of business. They fly under the radar and like it that way because where they came from, being the squeeky wheel is not accepted. Asians notice every type of people around them because nobody really pays attention to them.

The point of this thead aint about noticing people.

Its more about why Asian people dont live or immigrate to Flrida?

Why to the west coast, nyc or toronto and vancouver?

You might argue distance o Asia, but Miami is roughly as far as nyc and toronto. also why dont american born asians, like 2nd or 3rd enerations move to miami?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerMan View Post
Its about average to the rest of the nation where there isn't a large one. Over in the West coast and mi9d atlantic area is where you see high concentrations. Other than that they are always less than 5% of any community. In Dade they are 2%, Broward I think 3% and in individual cities its anywhere from.1 to 5% in south florida. It has alot to do probaly with history, I dont know. The West coast is the obvious because its there gateway.
ok, but why do they love Frisco and LA so much?

Old 07-04-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Besides the fact Miami is really far from their traditional gateways, Asian people are pretty modest in general. They come to Boston for the schools. NY for - well, everything. West Coast cuz it's the closest. CHI cuz it's (historically) the second city. Why not Miami? I think Miami is too wild for the Asian cultures. The are so modest. Asia is about a traditional tea ceremony - Miami is about shaking mambas.

My sis lived in NYC for years and didn't like MIA because she said it was wilder than NYC. It is. Miami is like Indian food. Forget the subtlety - you have to really like a lot of spice and flavor, otherwise you'll choke.
aight this amkes sense.

asians came during the goldush to the west coast and nyc is a major immigant gateway.

and ya asians come to study in nyu, mit, arvard, cornell, princeton etc.

But what do you mean with MIA being to "wild"?????

Bangkok is wilder than MIA, Tokyo is Bananas. lol.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:21 PM

50 posts, read 166,320 times
Alternatively....the asians would rather spend time being productive, working hard, making things better for their next generation as opposed to shaking mambas. In other words Miami is seen as a good place to spend money but not make money, and that's a shame...

PS I know plenty of asians with booties and booties and plenty of latins without them!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 12:40 PM

314 posts, read 1,037,067 times
thailand disagrees. are we talking about iran saudi asians?

Old 07-05-2008, 03:11 PM

50 posts, read 166,320 times
Agreed, I've spent some time in Bangkok, some parts are crazy (not where I hang out, mind you)....let's not even begin to talk about Pattaya!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 03:16 PM

210 posts, read 1,139,543 times
Geographically its pretty far from Asia, unlike cities like San Fran or L.A which attract large amounts of Asians. Also Asian people focus a lot on their education so they typically reside in the northeast, Florida is not known for its good education system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami