Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 03:38 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
How will this affect the local economy and the local revenue is the question? I can understand the safety issues and there needs to be more emphasis towards the safety of both the residents and the tourists.
Short term pain, but the businesses can easily make that back and more with F1. No need to worry about violence and stupidities takes precedence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 03:43 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
I guess today’s spring breakers aren’t as well-behaved when they’re rowdy as those of generations past.

Old 03-15-2024, 08:11 AM

307 posts, read 211,057 times
Let's be honest here....
A lot,if not most of the people you see in news videos....don't look like college students on spring break.
Maybe just opportunistic criminals knowing there will be lots of kids with cash and willing to participate in debauchery.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:13 AM

729 posts, read 1,299,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Miami Beach is 'breaking up' with spring breakers
In a social media ad campaign, Miami Beach, Florida, said it would be implementing new rules ahead of the popular time of year for visitors.

The video ad shows a number of people, who appear to be locals, “breaking up” with spring breakers. It calls out visitors who “want to get drunk in public and ignore laws” rather than enjoy the city’s culture. It also shows clips of the chaos from last spring break and calls the incidents “our breaking point” with spring break.

Miami Beach officials said the city would implement curfews, bag checks, restricted beach access, DUI checkpoints and expensive parking fees. It also said it would increase law enforcement.

https://x.com/miamibeachnews/status/...QbM1s43DhfrK6w

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna141650
Well, Miami got what Daytona wanted to get rid of, lol. It's never the college student that causes the worst problems, at least to the degree that most people are complaining about.

Old 03-17-2024, 08:48 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
Well, Miami got what Daytona wanted to get rid of, lol. It's never the college student that causes the worst problems, at least to the degree that most people are complaining about.
Miami Beach didn't get what Daytona Beach got rid of. They moved on to Panama City Beach and South Padre Island. the version Miami Beach has wound up with is a whole new breed of "Spring Breakers" who bear no resemblance to the MTV version or those prior of the 70s and 80s. The city is entirely justified in shutting it down and hopefully sending a message of no longer welcome for the sake of local businesses over the long haul.

Old 03-17-2024, 10:44 AM

729 posts, read 1,299,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Miami Beach didn't get what Daytona Beach got rid of. They moved on to Panama City Beach and South Padre Island. the version Miami Beach has wound up with is a whole new breed of "Spring Breakers" who bear no resemblance to the MTV version or those prior of the 70s and 80s. The city is entirely justified in shutting it down and hopefully sending a message of no longer welcome for the sake of local businesses over the long haul.
I beg to differ, at least on some points. I agree that the city, ANY city is justified is shutting things down that diminish the quality of life and potentially contribute to public endangerment. I also agree that we are not talking about the MTV version of spring break.

I reiterate that Miami got what Daytona fought HARD to get rid of when the city effectively said no more BCR (Black College Reunion aka Black Beach Week) events; increased crime, shootings, rapes, endless gridlock, littering and overall debauchery that followed beach concert headliners such as Uncle Luke (used as an example as he was one of many performers). Daytona enforced curfews, street closures, businesses shutting down, hotels doubling (sometimes tripling rates), city council votes along with Gestapo like police presence and a federal lawsuit to boot. Around the time, there was a lot of media hype as BET played a hand in promoting the spring break events but the shift really took off when the BET (Black Entertainment Television) Spring Bling music festival series moved from Daytona to Miami in the mid 2000's. What you see today is a direct result of Miami welcoming a college event with open arms into a city already riddled with criminal elements just across the bridge who probably can't spell college. I don't understand how city leaders didn't see that coming. Then again, I do. $$$$$

Old 03-18-2024, 07:21 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Short term pain, but the businesses can easily make that back and more with F1. No need to worry about violence and stupidities takes precedence.
Went to Swizzle Rum Bar Saturday night with a friend visiting from NY. Was a good crowd. Closed early, 11 p.m. Strong police presence on Collins. Definitely way calmer than last year. Still a lot of riff raff out and about surprisingly.

Old 03-18-2024, 12:16 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Don't worry-Fort Lauderdale is now getting all the ghetto's now. I saw the mayor of FL tell everyone to come there so they can have a good time. He will very quickly regret it

Old 03-24-2024, 11:45 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Went to Swizzle Rum Bar Saturday night with a friend visiting from NY. Was a good crowd. Closed early, 11 p.m. Strong police presence on Collins. Definitely way calmer than last year. Still a lot of riff raff out and about surprisingly.
I was going to mention, I went to Big Pink for brunch during that weekend, I was happy to see how this year was calm during the daytime. We were still unsure how it would be at night time, so we made it priority to head back to Brickell after lol. Ended up hanging out with my family in Wynwood, much better, checked out Higher Ground, we liked it.

I'm definitely enjoying it here much more than my previous stint, so I'm slowly falling back in love with the place, even with my gripes (and the recent flooding Friday, which ugh... lol). The city of Miami Beach clamping down on spring-break shenanigans is another huge plus for me and my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami